Turning Jaffa Into Klingons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning Jaffa Into Klingons?

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Seasons 9 and 10 turned the Jaffa into knock-offs of the Klingons?

yep
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Kincaid View Post
      Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Seasons 9 and 10 turned the Jaffa into knock-offs of the Klingons?
      How do you mean?
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Not at all.

I saw a lot of development of the Jaffa over seasons 9 and 10. They weren't just the usual "blood thirsty, kill everything that looks at you wrong " klingons. While we did see a lot of death because of the Jaffa, either being scared of the Orii or on behave of the Orii, a lot of Jaffa weren't really out to kill because it suited them or gave them honour.

For the most part, Klingons do what they want because it suits them. Jaffa over the past few seasons did everything for they considered a higher power, or because they were fighting for a good cause. I don't see anything Klingon about that.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
          How do you mean?
          Spoilers for Talion

Well like for example the way that Tealc behaved in Talion. That was some straight uo Worf type of stuff. He was so driven by instinct and tradition and revenge and rage and all, that he was willing to risk and betray everything that he has stood for for 10 years. I don't think the Tealc we came to know over the first 8 or 9 seasons would really behave that way. Or all the factional warfare and hostility to Earth that has been displayed by the Jaffa leaders during the past to seasons. The Jaffa we met before the fall of the Goauld just did not strike me as the type of people who woud end up acting that way. They seemed much more like humans than the Jaffa of 9 and 10 have been.

Comment

Other than that instance, i cannot recall any that i would consider making the Jaffa into Klingons...

Comment

I didn't see them as being very Klingon.

Comment

They talk about honor and the glory of battle a lot more in later seasons then they used to. I think that is where the Klingon comparison is coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by LawgSkrak View Post
                  They talk about honor and the glory of battle a lot more in later seasons then they used to. I think that is where the Klingon comparison is coming from.

It's the whole collapsing empire being manipulated by outside forces thing. And the way that tradition and custom and instinct and rage seem to overpower rational judgement, even sometime in Tealc. I seems to me to be a discontinuity with the way that Tealc and other Jaffa were portrayed in previous seasons.

Comment

Of course they are. Didn't you know that Star Trek is the end all-be all to scifi????

*sarcasm mode now turned OFF*

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Kincaid View Post
                      Spoilers for Talion

Well like for example the way that Tealc behaved in Talion. That was some straight uo Worf type of stuff. He was so driven by instinct and tradition and revenge and rage and all, that he was willing to risk and betray everything that he has stood for for 10 years. I don't think the Tealc we came to know over the first 8 or 9 seasons would really behave that way. Or all the factional warfare and hostility to Earth that has been displayed by the Jaffa leaders during the past to seasons. The Jaffa we met before the fall of the Goauld just did not strike me as the type of people who woud end up acting that way. They seemed much more like humans than the Jaffa of 9 and 10 have been.
                      Talion aside - because frm the moment I've seen the episode I felt it was completely out of character for both Teal'c and the Jaffa - the answer is no.
                      Seasons 9/10 did quite a good job in showing a natino of slaves who have just won their freedom - and several of the pit falls that this include. No, they haven't always done the best job of it - if the main idea of Ex Deus Machina, for example, would have been the Jafa becoming just like their operssors (rather than the hinting of that idea) instead of Ba'al and his clones, I would have been a much happier person. But they still put it in, they still hinted at that.....
                      Yes, it would have been better had the Jaffa not been ignored the second the Gerek pliotline was finished, because there was quite a lot yet to explore there, IMO, but they're still not Klingons.

Again, Talion aside, which was compeltely off topic and pointless.
                      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Honestly I think the writers have done a pretty bad job with teal'c in the last couple seasons. It's not that they are trying to copy trek but more that they are trying to add cliché "way of the warrior" drama on teal'c way too much. I mean teal'c has always been the "warrior" character in the show but the writers just took it too far.

Comment

Working...
                        X