This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Tapes in Stargate?

I was just watching mobieus the season 8 finale. They discovered a video tape that had been buried for over 5000 years. How is that possible? Doesn't magnetic media lose information after a while?

I know it's a Sci-fi show but was just curious if it was possible

Probably protected in some sort of very well-sealed Canopic jars. Or something. That and the pyramids are reported to have some sort of weird magnetic properties.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
      Probably protected in some sort of very well-sealed Canopic jars. Or something.
      Not probably, Definately

that's exactly what they say preserved it. in a vacuum sealed canopic jar
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

Well there you have it.

I haven't seen the episode in a while.

Comment

http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...%22_Transcript

search for
          It was perfectly preserved
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

yh the goauld osiris managed to survive for thousands of years in a jar with naquada inside
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
              yh the goauld osiris managed to survive for thousands of years in a jar with naquada inside
              Bet it was boring in there

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post
                Bet it was boring in there
                yh, all u do all day in worm around in circles and when ur hungry eat some naquada lol
                sigpic

Comment

well it supposed to be an imprisonment, i think it was supposed to be boring, although i dont think goauld are completely sentient when not in a host.
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  Quotes!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                    yh, all u do all day in worm around in circles and when ur hungry eat some naquada lol
                    Osiris was in the canopic jar but was in stasis, so not conscious during the imprisonment. I'm sure he'd probably go insane after that amount of sensory deprevation
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hypochondriac View Post
                      I was just watching mobieus the season 8 finale. They discovered a video tape that had been buried for over 5000 years. How is that possible? Doesn't magnetic media lose information after a while?

I know it's a Sci-fi show but was just curious if it was possible
                      there was no mention of a video tape,they found a video camera probably digital,it was a tape hammond played probably because the data was transferred

Comment

it's doubtful that it was a solid state recorder...actually, after 5000 years, the data would've been irreparably corrupted because flash memory degrades over time, sometimes in as short of durations as 20 years. Metal evaporated tape would theoretically last much longer.
                        Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                        Check out my Flickr

Comment

HAMMOND: It was perfectly preserved in a vacuum-sealed Canopic jar.

It's possible that if they stole a canopic jar from Ra instead of using a clay one that the goa'uld tech of the jar somehow preserved the digital information w/o the decay.
                          "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
                          Mark Twain

Daniel Jackson and Sam Carter are the kinds of nerds I want to be.

Comment

it's possible if Goa'uld tech can keep transistors from changing their position that it could well have been solid state memory. Even so, I remember Hammond saying something about an actual tape...
                            Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                            Check out my Flickr

Comment

If it was recording onto a micro DVD like a lot of new cameras do now days It could have lasted couldnt it? Optical storage doesnt really have a shelf life assuming its kept away from the elements?
                              "Dying doesn't work in our favour!"

Comment

Working...
                              X