X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best WRITTEN TV Cult Classics

Guidelines here are:
    1. The show has had an impact on pop culture, but lacks broad general appeal. If 500 randomly chosen Americans were questions and none of them would know the show, it's too obscure ("Fighting Food'ums"). If out of 500 randomly chosen Americans, 490 would consider the show among their favorites ("Seinfeld"), it is too broad.

Remember we're talking quality WRITING here, meaning plot & dialog
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Phyrephly

Comment

^Agreed, Firefly and the Buffyverse are about the best written shows out there, and could be classed as cult shows.
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

The only cult show I like is Firefly. The other shows I like are well known, Star Trek (all 5) and Stargate (both).

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
          The only cult show I like is Firefly. The other shows I like are well known, Star Trek (all 5) and Stargate (both).
          Star Trek is the definition of Cult TV, lol.
          sigpic
          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
          ~David Hewlett

Comment

You said if everyone knows about the show, it'd be too broad.

Which of these would you classify as cult shows?
            Star Trek: Enterprise
            Star Trek
            Star Trek: The Next Generation
            Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
            Star Trek: Voyager
            Stargate SG-1
            Stargate: Atlantis
            Firefly

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
              Guidelines here are:
              1. The show has had an impact on pop culture, but lacks broad general appeal. If 500 randomly chosen Americans were questions and none of them would know the show, it's too obscure ("Fighting Food'ums"). If out of 500 randomly chosen Americans, 490 would consider the show among their favorites ("Seinfeld"), it is too broad.

Remember we're talking quality WRITING here, meaning plot & dialog
              I don't know how the answer to this question could be anything other than Buffy. I can think of no other cult TV show that has had the kind of impact on the TV industry and pop culture in general than it. It is still obscure enough that I think it falls under your guideline.

Star Trek is the ultimate cult show, but it is so well ingrained in the mainstream these days that I feel it has moved far beyond simple cult status. The same could be said of the X-Files, although to a lesser extent.
              "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

Blakes 7, Sapphire & Steel, Red Dwarf, Monty Python's Flying Circus.
                Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
                Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

DJ, you have to catch up on some sleep, lol. I said if 490 in 500 (98%) consider the show one of their favorites, then it is too broad. Maybe 1% consider Star Trek their favorite show.
                  sigpic
                  ~David Hewlett

Comment

I'd have to go with Farscape, and Stargate SG-1.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                      DJ, you have to catch up on some sleep, lol. I said if 490 in 500 (98%) consider the show one of their favorites, then it is too broad. Maybe 1% consider Star Trek their favorite show.
                      Keep in mind that when I say Star Trek, I am refering to all five shows, the collective franchise minus the feature films since we're talking about televsion.

There are a lot of people who consider TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, or ENT their favorite TV show. Star Trek is extremely popular! Now, if the original TV show never had spin-offs, and there were just 80 episodes, then I would agree that it is a cult show.

Comment

the Prisoner? its a cult classic and has influenced many im sure.
                        To the Mandatorium!!!!!

Comment

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Followed by Firefly and Farscape.

Joss Whedon is a master at his craft.
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

Which of these would you classify as cult shows?
                            Star Trek: Enterprise
                            Star Trek
                            Star Trek: The Next Generation
                            Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
                            Star Trek: Voyager
                            Stargate SG-1
                            Stargate: Atlantis
                            Firefly
                            That's indeed a very good question. I think all of them are "cult", but I'm reluctant about Voyager and SGA. I don't think they have quite the followign and appeal of their own to be cult for themselves, rather because they're spin-offs of a cult television show.

As for me, I'll probably go with Doctor Who and Firefly. I love Stargate to death, and when they write properly the writing is strong an dexcellent - but they have too many badly-written episodes to qualify. IMO. Same goes for Farscape, they can be clever and sophisticated and incredible,a nd then the next week you get some stupid b-movie-ish and predictable insect story.
                            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                            Yes, I am!
                            sigpic
                            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I have to say Space 1999 if we realy talk about classic. But in these days ill say
                              Farscape & Firefly and the Stargate Franchise of course, sweet..

"How you doing?"
                              "I have to pee."
                              - John Crichton & D'Argo, "Family Ties"

Comment

Working...
                              X