X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arizona Central: Networks offer lots of sci-fi

From Arizona Central's Caliente Remote Controlled blog:

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/caliente/197505.php

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

CALIENTE REMOTE CONTROLLED

Networks offer lots of sci-fi, fantasy shows in fall lineup

By Levi J. Long

Tucson, Arizona | Published: 08.23.2007

Forget reality TV.

And toss aside those dreary crime dramas.

This season, viewers will find shows exploring alternative universes, people resurrecting the dead, vampire detectives and, of course, superheros with extraordinary powers. And, most important, gloriously written scripts going against predictable, average reality TV.

Over the past decade, reality TV and crime dramas like "Law & Order" have inundated the networks, said Judd Ruggill, a professor at the University of Arizona's media arts school.

But with the success of NBC's "Heroes," and ABC's "Lost," networks are putting more fantasy and sci-fi on the air. and now audiences are seeing a proliferation of those shows, said Ruggill, who teaches film, television and new media studies.

Coming Sept. 25 is "Reaper," a CW series about an average guy who finds out his parents have sold his soul to the devil and he now has to work for Satan to capture lost souls who have escaped hell on Earth.

On Sept. 28, CBS debuts "Moonlight", a show about a private investigator/vampire who fights adversaries among the undead while in love with a mortal woman.

And on Oct. 3,ABC is bringing "Pushing Daisies," an alternative romantic comedy about a guy who can briefly resurrect the dead with his simple touch.

"Part of the appeal for these shows is the idea of escapism and could be a reaction to reality TV," Ruggill said.

Viewers have already started tuning in.

**snippage**

And then there's "Heroes," which returns Sept. 24. NBC Universal and show creator Tim Kring plan to produce 24 episodes to end in April.
    Fans can also look forward to "Heroes: Origins," a six-episode anthology series to air in May that introduces new characters not tied into the main arc of the series.

On Sept. 26, NBC will premiere "Bionic Woman," which shares a title with the 1970s hit. The title character, Jamie Sommers as played by Michelle Ryan, nearly dies in a devastating car wreck, but doctors implant top-secret technology in her, giving her extraordinary powers.

Also watch for "Chuck" (action comedy, NBC, Sept. 24): A computer geek becomes a secret agent when a glitch downloads national secrets into his brain. And "Journeyman" (mystery drama, NBC, Sept. 24): A San Francisco newspaper reporter begins traveling through time.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

About time sci-fi(genre) started getting some recognition....waaaay ttooo late if you ask me.

Of course, just as sci-fi becomes popular, they kill the most successful show in the genre, ever.

That's life for you though
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zatarc View Post
      About time sci-fi(genre) started getting some recognition....waaaay ttooo late if you ask me.

Of course, just as sci-fi becomes popular, they kill the most successful show in the genre, ever.

That's life for you though
      It is kind of ironic.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

those shows are fantasy, not sci-fi.
        Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
        Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
          F
          On Sept. 28, CBS debuts "Moonlight", a show about a private investigator/vampire who fights adversaries among the undead while in love with a mortal woman.

I am really looking forward to this show. I am a big vampire buff and like the feel I have seen from this in the promos. Kinda of Buffy/Angel style show. I have high hopes and look forward to checking it out.

Comment

Working...
          X