Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Just Dawned On Me... (Spoilers for "Unending")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It Just Dawned On Me... (Spoilers for "Unending")

Okay, so in "Unending", we see the team desperately trying to shake the Ori off their tail so they can return to Earth...

Why?

The Ori know that the Odyssey is one of Earth's battlecruisers, so why bother trying to get rid of them? If they really wanted to, the Ori ships could just jump through hyperspace to Earth to follow the Odyssey.

Right? Comments?
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Do teh Ori (and I'm talking about the non-all knowing ascended ones) actually know where Earth is? And maybe they just wanted to destroy the Odyssey, since it's the most formiddible ship opposing them. Kinda like how the Bismark was a top priority target for the Royal Navy in WW2

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
      Do teh Ori (and I'm talking about the non-all knowing ascended ones) actually know where Earth is? And maybe they just wanted to destroy the Odyssey, since it's the most formiddible ship opposing them. Kinda like how the Bismark was a top priority target for the Royal Navy in WW2
      Yes, they know Earth's location. Adria wanted Daniel to convert Earth in "The Shroud", so I'm assuming she knew where it was. Besides, it's location is no big secret, and I'm sure the conquered Jaffa would've told the army or Priors.

And that's a good point, but what I'm saying is, why bother trying to lose the Ori at all? Realistically, the ships would've just followed it to Earth anyway, right?
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

well its still possible that they are scared off by the ancient outpost we have. I was thinking about unending before and it dawned upon me that they could "unage" tealc if they still have linea's "fountain of youth" thing.
        Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Or some adapted form the Telchak life giving device.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            And that's a good point, but what I'm saying is, why bother trying to lose the Ori at all? Realistically, the ships would've just followed it to Earth anyway, right?
            Well if the Ori were just trying to destroy the Odyssey, then leading them back to Earth as the were trying to bail from them wouldn't help things at all. It would just put earth at risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
              Well if the Ori were just trying to destroy the Odyssey, then leading them back to Earth as the were trying to bail from them wouldn't help things at all. It would just put earth at risk.
              I know, I understand that. But look at it from the Ori's point of view:
              - They chase Odyssey.
              - Odyssey manages to escape.
              - You KNOW they're going to head home.
              - Since you know where Earth is, you follow the Odyssey to Earth and destroy it.

Doesn't that make sense? My point was, the team should've realized that (in a real world) the ori would've followed them regardless, since they would've known what their ultimate destination would've been.

Basically, I guess I'm just pointing out what I feel is a sort of plothole.

Comment

two words, Ancient outpost.
                Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  I know, I understand that. But look at it from the Ori's point of view:
                  - They chase Odyssey.
                  - Odyssey manages to escape.
                  - You KNOW they're going to head home.
                  - Since you know where Earth is, you follow the Odyssey to Earth and destroy it.

Doesn't that make sense? My point was, the team should've realized that (in a real world) the ori would've followed them regardless, since they would've known what their ultimate destination would've been.

Basically, I guess I'm just pointing out what I feel is a sort of plothole.
                  remember though that adria wasn't around at that time and the priors may or may not have known what was going on.

and like the post above says, its quite probably that hte ori were unwilling to face the ancient outpost... but earth doesnt exactly want to have to test it out on the ori either.

Comment

It was stated in The Road Not Taken, that the outpost managed to take out an Ori ship that was attacking Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by SG-17 View Post
                      It was stated in The Road Not Taken, that the outpost managed to take out an Ori ship that was attacking Earth.
                      It says that the outpost was able to fight it off we don't know for a fact if the ori ship as destroyed or not

But they followed the oddy because they could why go to a place that could shoot you down instead of just following one ship by itself?
                      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                      A Face you Can Trust
                      sigpic
                      So whats the worst that could happen?
                      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Drones.

I would assume that's the reason for the season.

Comment

I am surprised the thinking about that the Ori wouldn't simply wait at earth for the ody to arrive or atleast near it but I think the crew realised because of events in the road not taken that one the ancient outpost would provide protection and two wasn't sam able to figure out how to use the phase device to hide earth. The plan might of been from SG-1 point of veiw get it to earth then we can phase shift earth learn all the ody's cool secrets, unphase and kick the ori's butts.
                          General Hammond "I thought the arm bands were meant to make them stronger, not stupid"

Comment

Originally posted by clwaurie View Post
                            I am surprised the thinking about that the Ori wouldn't simply wait at earth for the ody to arrive or atleast near it but I think the crew realised because of events in the road not taken that one the ancient outpost would provide protection and two wasn't sam able to figure out how to use the phase device to hide earth. The plan might of been from SG-1 point of veiw get it to earth then we can phase shift earth learn all the ody's cool secrets, unphase and kick the ori's butts.
                            I doubt they had thought that far ahead at this point.

I think the point of not wanting the Ori to follow them is that if they could, they may be able to destroy the Odyssey at some point BEFORE it gets to Earth. The Odyssey was much more powerful with the Asgard enhancements but they were pretty close to destruction before they activated the Time Dialation Field. Even if they`d made it to Earth with the Ori on their tails, one or two shots probably would`ve taken them out.
                            If the Ori waited at Earth they would not only be risking getting attacked by the Ancient Outpost if they got too close but there would also be the possibility that the Odyssey would know they were going to wait for them and not return to Earth, instead going to the Alpha or Beta sites.

Also, it makes the Odyssey completely useless as a weapons platform if the enemy can follow them wherever they go. Eventually, they could catch up and possibly have enough ships amassed by that point to destroy them.
                            At this point, Earth's best chance is to use a hit and run tactic on the Ori ships. Get the Jaffa and Tok'ra to let us know whenever they see an Ori ship on its own, send in the Odyssey to attack from behind and destroy the Ori ship before it manages to get a shot off. That tactic would be lost if the Ori could track us.

Comment

Ancient outpost + Ori will need great amount of soldiers to win a land battles on the Earth. Earth has a population over 6 billions people (thousands of soldiers who are much better than regular Ori army)
                              Stolen Kosovo
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X