This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

point of origin

hey, i was wondering how the team figures out the point of origin for each of the planets they go to?

Also, what would happen if you dialed a gate and used earth's point of origin

this has been discussed several thousand times already!!

the point of origin is a unique symbol on the DHD, it is different for each planet, although it has the same function. a stargate address is six symbols in space to pinpoint an exact location to find a destination. the seventh symbol, being the point of origin, acts as a second set of six symbols and pinpoints the point of origin. each DHD might as well have a button that reads 'YOU ARE HERE' as the point of origin!

the earth point of origin is just a symbol for the point in space the stargate currently occupies. if you took that stargate to a different planet the point of origin would use a new set of symbols to find its location (which the DHD does automatically) but the button would still work! The symbol is just a way to identify it.

Comment

She is right, every DHD and stargate has an unique symbol on it wich is used as point of origin.
      Even earth has two points of origin, hasn't it?
      One on the antartica-gate and one on the sgc-gate, or am I wrong?

Comment

Earth has one point of origin. but the two stargates (antarctica and egypt) use different symbols to represent it.

Comment

The pyramid and sun symbol has become the default point of origin in the show. It's just a plot device that only the most anal of the anal fans get really antsy and complain about.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi View Post
            The pyramid and sun symbol has become the default point of origin in the show. It's just a plot device that only the most anal of the anal fans get really antsy and complain about.
            Hehe, I guess I'm anal...

By the way, you can read more about the Point of Origin in this thread. I'm gonna submit this thread for locking.
            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

and since there has been a link provided to the already establshed discussion.....we shall close
              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
              X