This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much galaxies are there?

I was wondering how much galaxies there are.
    Each galaxy has 720 possible stargates (6×5×4×3×2×1=720) if you use 7 chevrons (the 7th chevron is point of origin so you may not count it).
    We know that the 8th chevron is used to get to another galaxy.
    Then we can calculate how much possible adresses there are with 8 chevrons.
    7×6×5×4×3×2×1=5040.
    So, there are 5040 possible stargate adresses in other galaxies. In each galaxy are 720 possible stargate, that makes 5040:720=7.
    My calculation shows there are 7 galaxies, but I think it's not complete.
    Does anyone has another calcution?

Those calculations looks right.

Since we now have ships that can easily travel galactic distances, earth ships can go pretty much go anywhere. Asgard ships seem to be far better than Ancient ships in terms of traversing the universe.

The real universe has many 100s of billions of galaxies.

There could be other Ascended beings beside the Ancients or Ori.

Comment

there are 720 possible combinations of one 6 symbol address (minus the point of origin)

the stargate has 39 symbols each relating to a point in space. one address being made up of 6 of these symbols plus the point of origin means there are 39x38x37x36x35x34=2,349,088,560 possible 6 symbol combinations of the symbols on the gate.

because one of these symbols is always in the address as the point of origin we have to set one aside and not include it in the calculations so there are only 38 symbols to choose from when making an address plus the 39th which is always the point of origin so 38x37x36x35x34x33=1,987,690,320 possible stargates in one galaxy.

for the 8 symbol addresses there are 6 symbols in the address 1 point of origin and 1 extra distance calculator. starting with one extra galaxy there are now 37 symbols to choose from plus the point of origin and the extra distance calcuator so 37x36x35x34x33x32=1,673,844,480.

because there are 39 symbols on the stargate, one of which being the point of origin there are 38 possible 8th symbols in any address. each 8th symbol doesnt neccessarily represent a single galaxy, so the number of possible galaxies is anyones guess. it is entirely possible for hundreds or even thousands of galaxies to use the same 8th symbol. but to calculate the possible number of 8 symbol addresses (7 points in space plus the point of origin)- 38x37x36x35x34x33x32=63,606,090,240 possible 8 symbol stargate addresses.

as for 9 symbol addresses there are 6 in the address plus point of origin, distance calculator and 9th symbol, if the 9th symbol can be any symbol in the same way as the 8th chevron then there are 38x37x36x35x34x33x32x31=1,971,788,797,440 possible addresses.

but if the 9th is fixed in the way that the point of origin is then it means there are only 37 symbols to choose from for the remaining 7 in the address, normal 6 symbols plus the extra distance calculator (plus point of origin and 9th symbol) 37x36x35x34x33x32x31=51,889,178,880 which would mean there are fewer 9 symbol addresses than there are 8 symbol addresses!
      Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 18 August 2007, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Lantean commander your math sucks and your question is wierd.

There are billions of galaxies but if you are asking how many galaxies the gate network can coonect to, that number can be as high as 1406.

Comment

Don't the PoO differ on every gate, as every planet have a unique point of origin?
          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
            Don't the PoO differ on every gate, as every planet have a unique point of origin?
            yes the PoO symbol differs for every gate. but you cant dial Earth's PoO from Abydos or Atlantis' from Earth and vice versa.

so basically what im trying to say is that the PoO symbols differ from gate to gate but each gate has the same amount of symbols for each address (6 for the address, 1 extra distance calculator, 1 PoO and 1 9th symbol)

so to reiterate Pharoah's calculations:
            normal addresses - 38x37x36x35x34x33 (39 symbols but 1 is always the PoO)
            8 chevrons - 38x37x36x35x34x33x32
            9 chevrons - 38x37x36x35x34x33x32x31

if the 9th chevron always uses an distinct symbol as with the PoO then just subtract 1 from numbers (e.g. (38-1)x(37-1)x.....) but i doubt that this is true

Comment

wouldnt it just be sufficient that we can estimate there are around 100 billion galaxies in the universe? I think that is the estimate from the deep field shot, and the universe probably still goes out further than that. Using the gate network to tell how many galaxies will only tell you the maximum amount of galaxies we can travel to by stargate. Heck im not even sure how you would dial a different galaxies gate with the diagram they showed in the movie.
              Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                wouldnt it just be sufficient that we can estimate there are around 100 billion galaxies in the universe? I think that is the estimate from the deep field shot, and the universe probably still goes out further than that. Using the gate network to tell how many galaxies will only tell you the maximum amount of galaxies we can travel to by stargate. Heck im not even sure how you would dial a different galaxies gate with the diagram they showed in the movie.
                As I said in my post, there are billions of galaxies but the gate network can at most connect to 1406 using 9 chevrons and a 39 symbol gate.

EDIT: Wrote 1408, its clearly 1406.
                Last edited by NATIK; 18 August 2007, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NATIK View Post
                  As I said in my post, there are billions of galaxies but the gate network can at most connect to 1408 using 9 chevrons and a 39 symbol gate.
                  That is not correct. InfernoSG1 and Pharaoh Hamenthotep were right about the number of gate addresses. They were also right when they said that it is stated in one of the episodes (more than one) that each Stargate and DHD combo has 1 unique symbol for the point of origin, and 38 symbols which may look different, but in fact represent the same "button", regardless of what symbol is on them.

At least that is the canon for the first season (which I just finished re-watching). After that it changes so that every Stargate has the same 38 symbols, and 1 unique symbol. Go figure. As I've said before, it's like the writers don't even watch their own show.

Comment

Carter explained the 8th chevron to be an additional distance modifier. If this is correct, then the address you're dialing isn't a specific address in your target galaxy, it's a gate in your galaxy with an additional distance added to get you to the galaxy you want to travel to.

Originally posted by gopher65
                    That is not correct. InfernoSG1 and Pharaoh Hamenthotep were right about the number of gate addresses.
                    Actually, that is not correct. The distance modifier should use all 38 symbols.

Originally posted by InfernoSG1
                    so to reiterate Pharoah's calculations:
                    normal addresses - 38x37x36x35x34x33 (39 symbols but 1 is always the PoO)
                    8 chevrons - 38x37x36x35x34x33x32
                    9 chevrons - 38x37x36x35x34x33x32x31
                    The calculation for a intragalactic address is correct:
                    38*37*36*35*34*33 + PoO

The calculation for an 8 symbol intergalactic address is wrong. It should be:
                    38*37*36*35*34*33*38+PoO

The calculation for a 9 symbol intergalactic address is also wrong. It should be:
                    38*37*36*35*34*33*38*38+PoO

By the way, these calculations only work for gates inside the Milky Way. The gates in Pegasus only have 36 symbols, one of which is the point of origin. By comparison:

Milky Way: 1,987,690,320 (7 symbol address)
                    Pegasus: 1,168,675,200 (7 symbol address)

Milky Way: 75,532,232,160 (8 symbol address)
                    Pegasus: 40,903,632,000 (8 symbol address)

Milky Way: 2,870,224,822,080 (9 symbol address)
                    Pegasus: 1,431,627,120,000 (9 symbol address)
                    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

when dialling an 8 symbol address which uses 7 symbols once (plus point of origin)you can't use 38x37x36x35x34x33x38.

starting with 38 symbols:

the first symbol has a 1 in 38 chance of being chosen
                      the second 1 in 37
                      the third 1 in 36
                      the fourth 1 in 35
                      the fifth 1 in 34
                      the sixth 1 in 33
                      the seventh 1 in 32

each time you press a symbol (assuming you are using a DHD) you take one away from the total number of symbols remaining. unless you are using two DHDs, one for the address and one for the distance calculator and therefore have a second set of 39 to choose from. (i say 39 because the point of origin has already being accounted for on the first DHD)

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                        That is not correct. InfernoSG1 and Pharaoh Hamenthotep were right about the number of gate addresses. They were also right when they said that it is stated in one of the episodes (more than one) that each Stargate and DHD combo has 1 unique symbol for the point of origin, and 38 symbols which may look different, but in fact represent the same "button", regardless of what symbol is on them.

At least that is the canon for the first season (which I just finished re-watching). After that it changes so that every Stargate has the same 38 symbols, and 1 unique symbol. Go figure. As I've said before, it's like the writers don't even watch their own show.
                        Lol dude learn to read, given 38 symbols not counting PoO there is clearly only room for connecting to 1406 galaxies, read that word again GALAXIES!

Now go hide in the corner in shame over not reading things through before posting.
                        Last edited by NATIK; 18 August 2007, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NATIK View Post
                          There are billions of galaxies but if you are asking how many galaxies the gate network can coonect to, that number can be as high as 1406.

im reading the posts and don't see how your coming up with 1406 galaxies that could be gated to. the number makes sense considering with the amount of symbols that there are that is not any possible way to gate to the 100s of billions of galaxies in the universe but how did you get 1406??

and jarnin, you cant repeat the symbols once the chevrons lock onto them. if you do your just repeating that point in space so your not pointing to anywhere else. so each calculation has to decrease after each number (i.e. 38x37x36x35x34x33x....)

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post

By the way, these calculations only work for gates inside the Milky Way. The gates in Pegasus only have 36 symbols, one of which is the point of origin. By comparison:

Milky Way: 1,987,690,320 (7 symbol address)
                          Pegasus: 1,168,675,200 (7 symbol address)

Milky Way: 75,532,232,160 (8 symbol address)
                          Pegasus: 40,903,632,000 (8 symbol address)

Milky Way: 2,870,224,822,080 (9 symbol address)
                          Pegasus: 1,431,627,120,000 (9 symbol address)
                          how do you know that the Pegasus gates only have 36 symbols and not 39 like the Milky Way??

Comment

Okay this math looks good to me:

~ possible orders of arrangement for six known symbols for a six symbol ordered address = 6x5x4x3x2x1 = 720

~ 6 symbol address + PoO = 38x37x36x35x34x33 (PoO non relevent) = 1,987,690,320 possible ordered addresses.

~ possible orders of arrangement for seven known symbols for a seven symbol ordered address = 7x6x5x4x3x2x1 = 5,040

~ 7 symbol address + PoP = 38x37x36x35x34x33x32 (PoP non relevent) = 63,606,090,240 possible ordered addresses = number of possible galaxies connected to the gate system which are accessible from the MW stargate system. Note, this does not mean that there are even more, that are not directly accessible from the MW gate network. Such other galaxies would have to be accessed by going from the MW galaxy to another one and then from that one to the galaxy you want to go to.

~ possible orders of arrangement for eight known symbols for an eight symbol ordered address = 8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1 = 40,320

~ 8 symbol address + PoP = 38x37x36x35x34x33x32x31 (PoP non relevent) = 1,971,788,797,440 possible ordered symbols arrangements.

Comment

Inferno, Easy, we dont know exactly how intergalactic Stargating exactly work so we cant say for sure that we arent allowed to reuse symbols but reusing the PoO is not sensible therefore "the number could be as high as 1406" which is 38x37, as I assumed that the same distance calculator couldnt be used twice, now that I think about thats not even sure so the number could really be as high as 38x38 or 1442.

Remember when reading I am saying "as high as..." dont assume I am putting down a deffinitive number.

Remember the following before you say "but those symbols have already been used:

The Gate has 9 chevrons but if an 8 symbol address is put in the fifth chevron move to the eigth spot opening for the new eight (I believe I remember it being the fifth that moves). This in turn means that normal gate dialing is not necessarily in effect.

I am assuming that the ninth chevron is for distance calculations like the rest of the thread, it makes most sense due to confirmed gate physics and general good sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X