PDA

View Full Version : Young MacGyver?

DownFallAngel
September 27th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Found this online:

YOUNG MACGUYVER PROJECT
Studio: Paramount Network Television
Commitment: Pilot Pick Up (Put Pilot)
Auspices: Steve Downing (EP N/W), John Richards (EP N/W), Henry Winkler (EP N/W), Sam Baum (SP / W-Pilot)
Logline: The original series starred Richard Dean Anderson and ran from on ABC from September 1985 to August 1992. "Young MacGyver" will follow the twentysomething hero as he leaves school and winds up joining the Phoenix Foundation -- the good-guy organization his uncle belonged to -- on a lark. Once there, he discovers that he's incredibly adept at stepping into Uncle MacGyver's shoes.

"Our MacGyver will be a little more irreverent than the original," explains Carolyn Bernstein, senior VP of drama development at the WB. "It will have a lot in terms of the same elements of the original series, but with a brand-new cast of characters and updated for present day."

The original "MacGyver" was the last show to pop a solid number for ABC in the pre-"Monday Night Football" time slot. Indeed, Paramount first approached ABC about the "Young MacGyver" project, but the network passed.

Its been backed up uy IMDB (http://imdb.com/title/tt0352117/)

Check out the link where I found it here" LINK (http://www.allyourtv.com/0304season/pilots/wb.html). Scroll to the bottom to see the information I just posted.

Bast
September 27th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Macgyver! Not Macguyver

David85
September 27th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Umm... Where have you been?

This show was supposed to be made a year or two ago with hot "Dean" from Gilmore Girls", that's why he left, and it was chanceled.

Axle
September 28th, 2004, 06:09 AM
NO MORE PREQUILS!!!!!!!!!!

It's screwed up Star Wars, Star Trek!

Slainey
September 28th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Wow, my freaky Stargate/Gilmore Girls crossover fantasy gets freakier all the time. Dean would have made a great Macgyver mini-me.

Larry
September 28th, 2004, 07:03 AM
I guess it must be like the commerical where the guy finally got to the end of the internet. Everybody in Hollywood must be completely out of new ideas, unless it's for the next utterly redicuoulous Reality Show.

Teal'c
September 28th, 2004, 10:24 AM
NO MORE PREQUILS!!!!!!!!!!

It's screwed up Star Wars, Star Trek!
It's not a prequel, it's MacGyver's nephew... just like that James Bond Jr. cartoon actually :P Of course, Rick could appear (So help them if they try to steal his time from SG-1 :P)

crazylinguist
September 28th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Hmm. I never heard about that. So, they aren't doing this anymore? Or are they? It might be interesting, but has the potential to be really bad too...hmm.

DownFallAngel
September 28th, 2004, 01:14 PM
I don't know. I think it would be really bad. But I could imagine Don as Pete. But without RDA returning, in this, I don't think it would do so well.

David85
September 28th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Hmm. I never heard about that. So, they aren't doing this anymore? Or are they? It might be interesting, but has the potential to be really bad too...hmm.

Nope canned last year.

greytop
September 28th, 2004, 05:56 PM
It should be his son. In the last episode of MacGyver, Mac found out he had a son he didn't know about. The anagrams of his name was SAM and that's what he wanted to be called.

cobraR478
September 28th, 2004, 07:54 PM
It should be his son. In the last episode of MacGyver, Mac found out he had a son he didn't know about. The anagrams of his name was SAM and that's what he wanted to be called.
Better than Angus :P

trinity1013
September 29th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Glad that's not going to happen. Strikingly similar to this "Smallville" crap.

Matt G
September 29th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Better than Angus :P

Question then becomes, can they track down the guy that played his son originally?

DownFallAngel
September 29th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Glad that's not going to happen. Strikingly similar to this "Smallville" crap.

Smallville is the story BEFORE Clark Kent becomes Superman.

This is the story AFTER the events of MacGyver, and it involves nephew/cousin/person. Its not Angus MacGyver, its Clay MacGyver, a totally different person.

Axle
September 29th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Oh good, that's wonderful. A good idea indeed. Let's hope Clay won't have a Mullet!

JakeDeuxPointZero
September 29th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Dang... I would totally watch this show. It sounds cool to me... what if they could get that kid that played young Jack? If he weren't on Joan of Arcadia, that is...

trinity1013
October 4th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Smallville is the story BEFORE Clark Kent becomes Superman.

This is the story AFTER the events of MacGyver, and it involves nephew/cousin/person. Its not Angus MacGyver, its Clay MacGyver, a totally different person.
If he's "stepping into MacGyver's shoes", they wouldn't have made him that different. Then again, if they were a lot different, perhaps people wouldn't like that either because they wanted/expected them to be similar? I don't know, just don't like sequels/prequels in general.

nugglebugget
October 4th, 2004, 06:20 AM
My understanding is that the character was supposed to be "Mac's" nephew.Maybe I missed something along the way,but I was under the impression that "Mac" was an only child.I mean,I just don't remember much in the way of references to siblings.Am I wrong?

greytop
October 4th, 2004, 06:26 AM
My understanding is that the character was supposed to be "Mac's" nephew.Maybe I missed something along the way,but I was under the impression that "Mac" was an only child.I mean,I just don't remember much in the way of references to siblings.Am I wrong?
If I remember right, you are not wrong. The only closest relative that Mac had was his grandfather.

HyperCaz
April 16th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I'm glad this show never picked up - the pilot is appalling enough!! Still, the idea has merit and I wouldn't mind seeing something similar...just not as terrible, or rejecting the canon of the original MacGyver.

That said, I went a little vid-happy and made two Young MacGyver vids...

Pretend Opening Titles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHTzaYt2tRg)
Set to the original MacGyver theme song. :o

Never Too Young To Die (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ahku3RV6A)
Your average action vid to Die Another Day by Madonna.