This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beaming Distance?

Ok before I Start THIS TIME i did a search and i am sure i saw no treads or atleast current threads about this! So if i missed one and it already exsits i am sorry for posting yet another alreday discussed topic. (inn the span of two days lol)

Anyways here it goes....

I was watching "Fragile Balance" last night and when they capture Loki and called for Thor, Thor baemed into Lokis ship (orbiting Earth at the time) only a few secounds after the message too Thor was sent. This got me thinking!

How far away was Thor at the time? I am sure he was not already in are solar system or close too it. Hell i am sure he would not have been in the MW and instead would most liky have been in Ida with the rest of the asgard fighting the replicators!

There4 how far must he of beamed and how far can the beaming work? I mean beaming across two galaxies in a matter of seconds without a wormhole is a big distance!

I am sure it may have had something to do with it being an internal beamer on an asgard ship. But still surly if you can use asgard beams to cover that great a distance at the same speed as a stargate. Would it not be better to use the beaming tech? As you could take stuff bigger than the gate itself?
    sigpic
    Banner Made By Me for Me
    The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

It doesn't beam that far, watch "The Intruder" in season 2 of Atlantis for distance info. I guess Thor came by ship.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
      It doesn't beam that far, watch "The Intruder" in season 2 of Atlantis for distance info. I guess Thor came by ship.

Vala,
      Even that was super fast and you would normally get the stock footage of an asgard ship exiting hyperspace! Also Maybe the beams on the dead are not as powerful as the ones on asgard ships like loki's?

It still seems like in that ep Thor beamed in from thin air!
      sigpic
      Banner Made By Me for Me

Comment

It wasnt explained in the episode but my guess would be Thor coming by ship and the beaming over, that was how I percieved it while watching it.

While beaming straight there is certainly possible as an explanation I just dont see the beams working that way.

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
          Even that was super fast and you would normally get the stock footage of an asgard ship exiting hyperspace! Also Maybe the beams on the dead are not as powerful as the ones on asgard ships like loki's?

It still seems like in that ep Thor beamed in from thin air!
          Watch 'Unnatural Selection' & you'll see that they can jump from IDA to Earth in a matter of secs. Chances are he was sitting around doing nothing in IDA or maybe even in the MW already on other business, got their message. Then jumped to the MW if in IDA, then beamed aboard. If already in the MW, then he probably beamed in directly from his ship.

I seriously doubt they could simply beam in directly from IDA, then back again. Although there is a possibility that it's a power problem on the 304's. Without a ZPM, they are around 3/4 times slower. The shield is much weaker. So it could be that they have a limited distance on the 304's without a ZPM also. Even with top power though (that includes the Asgard as well), I don't think they could go anywhere near from galaxy to galaxy.

The most logical explanation is Thor was already in the MW on business, the beamed in directly. Either that or he was in his ship in IDA, he jumped instantly to the MW, then beamed the rest of the way to Loki's ship.

The Asgard probably have a far greater range than the 304's because they won't suffer from the power problems. However they obviously will have a set distance limitation placed upon them as well. It would be cool if they could track, trace & beam at such distances but that would be too uber to do so. Like everything, they need to have their weaknesses as well. So Asgard ships will probably have much greater beaming distances but nowhere near enough to take them from galaxy to galaxy with it.

Comment

Yeah, that episode was strange.

They called Thor, he was literally right there.

Asgard ships are incredibly fast, but really come on.

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post

Maybe Thor was in Earth's neighborhood in the Milky Way, and the Asgard just ordered him to go on a slight difference. It is also possible the Asgard dialed Earth through their own stargate then sent the transportation beam through that way.

I wouldn't take the show's depiction of travel from Ida to Earth literally. It is mostly used artistically more than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                Watch 'Unnatural Selection' & you'll see that they can jump from IDA to Earth in a matter of secs. Chances are he was sitting around doing nothing in IDA or maybe even in the MW already on other business, got their message. Then jumped to the MW if in IDA, then beamed aboard. If already in the MW, then he probably beamed in directly from his ship.
                I Belive if you ReWatch "Unatural Selection" Thor jumps from the random point in the MW the Prometheus was stranded in to Earth in only a few secs! BUT! Then Thor said himself when jack asked about telling Hammond about the mission that it would infact take "many hours" to get from Erath to the Replicator planet in Ida! Enought time for Teal'c and Jonas to start eating loads of ice cream, Have jonas train to reload a P-90, look over mission details and Jack to inform earth!

There4 if Thor was in ida at the time he MUST have beamed in or used the gate then beamed in!
                sigpic
                Banner Made By Me for Me

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                  I Belive if you ReWatch "Unatural Selection" Thor jumps from the random point in the MW the Prometheus was stranded in to Earth in only a few secs! BUT! Then Thor said himself when jack asked about telling Hammond about the mission that it would infact take "many hours" to get from Erath to the Replicator planet in Ida! Enought time for Teal'c and Jonas to start eating loads of ice cream, Have jonas train to reload a P-90, look over mission details and Jack to inform earth!

There4 if Thor was in ida at the time he MUST have beamed in or used the gate then beamed in!
                  The only reason why it took hours to get to the IDA glaxay is that Thor's ship was towing Prometheus. If Thor's ship was not it can get there in sec's/mins.
                  sigpicIf The Simpsons ever get on Stargate

Comment

Well has we saw in unending the computer gave off a unique sigature so maybe that sigature is a way to beam into the ship really fast almost like on glactica in the ftl jump drive or the the tolen subspace comucator they fold space or somthing maybe they can do that with a beaming device

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post

Thor is a Norse "God" he can do anything. My guess is he was in the area got the message and hypered his grey buttt there and beamed over.
                      I miss Thor, I want him back..

Comment

Perhaps he beamed through a Stargate

Comment

It's also possible that beaming has no real distance limit like stargate travel other than power requirements. The limiting factor would be the ability to scan, target, and lock on to where you're beaming to (sensor range). I don't remember any episode where something was in sensor range yet out of beaming range. Maybe it happened on an earth ship but never an Asgard vessel.

Comment

The asgard vessal said they monitor all subspace activity and maybe they have tracker or certain signuture that they can locate it then it might be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth View Post
                              It's also possible that beaming has no real distance limit like stargate travel other than power requirements. The limiting factor would be the ability to scan, target, and lock on to where you're beaming to (sensor range). I don't remember any episode where something was in sensor range yet out of beaming range. Maybe it happened on an earth ship but never an Asgard vessel.
                              SGA season 2. Sheppard was almost out of beaming range and McKay said that no one had ever been beamed from that far away by an earth vessel and they weren't sure if it would work.

An exact distance isn't given but its less than a 302 can travel in about 10 miniutes (at least for earth vessels).

They also have a few of the battles against the Wraith where they are out of beaming distance even though they can detect the ships (and see them on screen).

Comment

Working...
                              X