Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The aliens really DO speak English! (General season ten spoilers.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The aliens really DO speak English! (General season ten spoilers.)

We've heard the shiny explanations before...

"They're not really speaking English - they're speaking their own language to each other."

"They're not really speaking English - someone is translating."

"The Stargate imprints extra languages, etc. etc." (I still do like this one, though.)

It seems that in season ten, English is definitely the dominant language of the Milky Way.

-The Ancient riddles Daniel translated into English actually rhymed in English.
    -Vala assumed that the Ancient words for directional right and correct would match in Ancient as they do in English.
    -Vala's father was familiar enough with English that he was able to start setting up scams on Earth almost immediately. Also, he was familiar with Earth phrases like "Is this thing on?" before coming through the gate.

It seems to me that English really *is* the language of choice across the universe.
    [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Originally posted by Syera View Post
    We've heard the shiny explanations before...

"They're not really speaking English - they're speaking their own language to each other."

"They're not really speaking English - someone is translating."

"The Stargate imprints extra languages, etc. etc." (I still do like this one, though.)

It seems that in season ten, English is definitely the dominant language of the Milky Way.

-Vala assumed that the Ancient words for directional right and correct would match in Ancient as they do in English.
    -Vala's father was familiar enough with English that he was able to start setting up scams on Earth almost immediately. Also, he was familiar with Earth phrases like "Is this thing on?" before coming through the gate.

It seems to me that English really *is* the language of choice across the universe.
    If they didn't speak English I don't think I would watch the show. I'm not into sub titles.

When I watch the show i would expect them to speak the same language that I can under stand the story in. If it's a full feature film, like the original film, and the language barrier is part of the plot--then I would expect sub titles.

after ten years of watching SG-1--I don't want sub titles and I think most viewers would feel the same.

It's also cost effective to have the show in the language viewers understand.
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Syera
      Which ones?

Wrongly...

Comment

The reason for this is simple.

Britain is supreme. Britain not only had a global empire but we created Earth's first galactic empire. We travelled into the stars and colonised just as we did on earth. FORCING other races and civilisations to speak our language otherwise we would shun them. The Galactic British Empire was prosperous and all was good. Then World War 2 came and America got arsey and said we had to surrender all our colonies, including our galactic ones...

So... we did. But we also didn't give the US the secret fast and cheap space flight. And they still haven't worked it out yet. MUHAHAHAHAHA!
        Last edited by Flyboy; 13 August 2007, 12:46 AM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

wrong.

Comment

(s'called a joke)

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

orly

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                orly

Gamespeak or the airport in Paris?

Comment

www.orlyowl.com

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post

Thank you. Lovely website.

Comment

Ya rly

... Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the stars!...

Comment

It's called feasibility. It's not feasible to have every culture speak a different languager because nobody wants to spend 15-20 minutes an episode watching the characters try to understand the language. it would take time away from the plot and action.
                        Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                          Ya rly

... Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the stars!...

Britons never, never will take Mars!

Though the "understanding" theory does have a bit of evidence for it - there seemed to be a lot more spoken foreign tongues in the earlier season than in the later...

Comment

Working...
                          X