This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth as a Ship?

We saw that a normal hyperdrive could make a metor go in to hyperspace(Failsafe) but could a hyperdrive or two with the nessary power take a planet into hyperspace?

you would need a **** load of power and while the planet in hyper space the atmosphere might disapate and the sun wont be there so without the sun light we coulod do alot of damage

Comment

Needless to say, hyperspacing a planet will effectively destroy planet's ecosystem, unless it's covered in Atlantis-class shield and a motor that can give enough orbital speed for it to regain orbiting speed.

Comment

Yes, it is possible.

You would need this for a short term trip:
        A) HUGE power supply
        B) One big hyperdrive, so it wouldn't over heat
        C) Shield to cover whole planet, to protect from hyperspace radiation and avoid losing atmosphere

For an extended trip, you'd also need some way to keep the planet warm and well lit. I'm sure a shield modification could do this.

I'm guessing a dozen ZPMs or so could do this. Wouldn't it be nice if the Asurans up and decided to move their planet in an upcoming season of Atlantis? That way, we wouldn't know where attacks are coming from. They're the only ones on Stargate with the resources to do this.

Heck, who needs a warship when you've got a mobile planet? Reminds me of that Invader Zim episode, 'Battle of the Planets'.
        Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

I doubt it could be done for a few reasons!

1. The power requirements would be enormous to actually be able to put the ship in hyperspace to begin with.

2. They'd probably need a hyperdrive that is miles or tens of miles + in size. It would need to have some serious power behind it because we know carrying extra weight significantly slows down the journey. In 'Unnatural Selection', the huge Asgard ship was towing the tiny Prometheus along with it. On it's own the Asgard ship could make the journey in mins, yet with Prometheus it turned into a few hours. Imagine trying to haul the planet's weight & everything on the surface along with it.

3. If you screw with the Earth's daily functions, then as previously stated above, you screw it's balance up. The first one is that the planet would need some sort of shielding in it for protection against stuff like solar radiation, as well as debris etc that is floating in space. A shield or forcefiled would work but the amount of ZPM's it would take would be simply infeasible. It took the Lanteans 3 ZPM's to extend their shield to cover a little of Lantia as was said in 'Echoes'. Yet it still wasn't enough. Imagine trying to raise it over the entire planet, not just at a certain height or width. A shield that would encompass the whole planet. This shield would need to remain constantly raised, then combine that with the hyperdrive or engines struggling to take the extreme weight of the planet & everything in it.

4. You'd also need some sort of serious artifical light source to act as a surrogate for the sun.

There is a couple of other problems that I can think of as well such as gravity problems etc. It's simply not practical or feasible to do & I doubt anyone could be able to do it other than maybe the Ancients or Asgard.

Best thing to do in such a situation would be to build a whole crapload of ships, then take the people to a brand new planet. Which of course wouldn't be long before we'd screw that just as bad as the previous one.

Comment

Why would the atmosphere dissipate? Gravity holds Earth's atmosphere in place, not the sun or it's orbit.
            When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
            Zatnikitelman

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
              Why would the atmosphere dissipate? Gravity holds Earth's atmosphere in place, not the sun or it's orbit.
              It's rotation holds the atmosphere in place. Not only would you need a hyperdrive to move the planet, but you'd need to keep it spinning fast enough to keep the atmosphere attached. It's impossible given the power that would be needed, as well as the size of the engines to keep the planet spinning, move the planet, and to keep the planet lit and warm.

Comment

Rotation? The rotation should be trying to throw the atmosphere off at the equator and not trying to keep it on. It is gravity, you know the stuff that causes you to stick to the ground.
                When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                Zatnikitelman

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
                  Rotation? The rotation should be trying to throw the atmosphere off at the equator and not trying to keep it on. It is gravity, you know the stuff that causes you to stick to the ground.
                  Rotation helps create the gravity.

Comment

Originally posted by Morrolan View Post
                    Rotation helps create the gravity.
                    Um, no.

Rotating a body can create pseudo gravity but not when you are on the outer side of the body.

Comment

Well either way, rotation is absolutely essential to the Earth.
                      Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                      Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                      Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                      --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
                        Well either way, rotation is absolutely essential to the Earth.
                        Only because 1 side of the world would always face the sun and 1 side would always face away. So extreme heat on 1 side and extreme cold on the other.

But it wouldn't matter so much if you have the energy to create a planetary shield and move a planet through hyperspace. At that point you should be able to control how much light and dark each part of the world gets so its moot.

Comment

And you would need a moon to carry with you because a planet without a large moon can't contain life. Because his rotational axis would be destabilized. That means that pols will be moving around not weary much but enough to seriously damage ecosystem.
                          I would like to fly with this baby.

Comment

Originally posted by KaRkY View Post
                            And you would need a moon to carry with you because a planet without a large moon can't contain life. Because his rotational axis would be destabilized. That means that pols will be moving around not weary much but enough to seriously damage ecosystem.
                            I'm not sure what you're saying, but you'd need the effect of the moon for another reason: tides.

So, in addition to all the other things you'd have to do, you'd have to emulate the forces the moon has on tides.

However, I'm guessing if you've got the power and technology to move a planet, you've got the ability to do that, too.
                            Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

There are plenty of asteroides where ever you may go so a moon where ever you go.

There is no reason that the Eath would stop spinning when you enter hyperspace.

And if you had a Asgard Hyperdrive you could be there in a blink of a eye

I think that the Earths magnetic shield would protect us enough

Comment

Working...
                              X