This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power source comparison thread

Ok so there's an ongoing debate in this section between myself and buba about the output of power sources. Does anyone have a power output, potential energy, explosive power or ranking of these power sources:

ZPM
    Naquadah reactor
    Naquadriah reactor
    Neutrino Ion Generator

This topic comes up so much and there have been so many arguments about it that i would like for us to come to a conclusion about it, how powerful is a ZPM and how powerful is an NIG in comparison too it.

My personal conclusions put a NIG at 25% of a ZPM, is that a correct figure?
    Discuss but don't fight, id really like us to come out of this thread with a figure or a conclusion.

Immhotep
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Ok firstly we know ZPM's can at the very least destroy planets when they overload...unless Earth scientists are morons

Where did you get the Neutrino Ion Generator = 25% of a ZPM figure?
    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Well a ZPM can reduce the galactic trip from MW to PG from 18 days to 4 days. When the Asgard travel they cut 2 weeks of the trip which also makes it 4 days. but we know the beliskner has 4 of the generators, we can assume other ship have more than one generator in tandom, if they dotn then 1 ZPM - 1 NIG. Which isnt right but 4 NIG's = 1ZPM is a figure ill stick by.
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      11000! green me

Comment

Have you considered that 4 days is as fast as current Asgard hyperdrives can get to Pegasus, and that no amount of Neutrino Ion Generators, or ZPM's can change that?
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
          Have you considered that 4 days is as fast as current Asgard hyperdrives can get to Pegasus, and that no amount of Neutrino Ion Generators, or ZPM's can change that?
          EXACTLY!!! You get green! I've said that so many times. The basis of your entire arguement immhotep is flawed.
          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Ok so what if the Asgard's hyperdrives can only go at a minimum of 4 days, they are better than Ancient drives anyway. So the power source if irrelevent. The Ancients hyperdrives take many months to make it too atlantis. The Teltak modified with ancient knowledge took 8 days to go intergalactic. Atlantis would take 2 days to get from Lantia to the closest planet with an ocean. Im sorry but if my argument is flawed because the hyperdrives are limited the same flaw is there for you guys, it would take hours for the deadalus with ZPM to make the same journey atlantis had to from Planet to planet. And dont say its because Atlantis is heavier because inertial dampner reduce the mass of a ship drastically. Atlantis + Inertial dampers isnt going to weigh more than the deadalus.

Another argument is that the ZPM + Altantis could deflect a region of Lantia against the Nova, the ZPM + Asgard shields could do the same. This is another debate entirely about the comparison of Asgard and Ancient technology. But it demonstates that a ZPM in conjunction with another's technology pushes it to the limits, and when it does that, the results are the same as when it is powered by the race's power source and thier own technology. A ZPM pushes a technology to its max yes, but that maximum is the same when a ZPM is plugged in to ancient technology as well. There is a mamimum strength something can be pushed too, whihc the ZPM takes a technology too, like hyperdrives or shields, the only difference is the duration of time something last for. The ZPM cant give out any more energy than it does, in conjunction with whatever shield, there no difference between how long atlantis can last and how long the deadalus could last with a ZPM, because the ZPM provides the same power, its only when 3 ZPM's are used that atlantis is able to last longer.

The Technology isnt weaker, the ZPM has a maximum output that both Asgard and Ancient technology can recieve from it, equally.
            sigpic
            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
              Ok so what if the Asgard's hyperdrives can only go at a minimum of 4 days, they are better than Ancient drives anyway. So the power source if irrelevent. The Ancients hyperdrives take many months to make it too atlantis. The Teltak modified with ancient knowledge took 8 days to go intergalactic. Atlantis would take 2 days to get from Lantia to the closest planet with an ocean. Im sorry but if my argument is flawed because the hyperdrives are limited the same flaw is there for you guys, it would take hours for the deadalus with ZPM to make the same journey atlantis had to from Planet to planet. And dont say its because Atlantis is heavier because inertial dampner reduce the mass of a ship drastically. Atlantis + Inertial dampers isnt going to weigh more than the deadalus.
              So what? So your arguement falls apart 4 days is the fastest Asgard hyperdrives can make the journey adding a superior powersource like a ZPM won't change that. The deadalus has interial dampeners as well. See this is where your arguement falls apart you've lost the point about the power source so you try and discredit the hyper drives which is irrelevent! Atlantis was running on one severely depleted ZPM not preforming it's best IMO. The fact is you can't get any numbers on the NIG compared to a ZPM but nothing suggests that a Neutrino Ion generator is anything close to it.

Yeah that's a modified Tel'tak which would normally take days to get across the MW so that's pretty impressive.

Another argument is that the ZPM + Altantis could deflect a region of Lantia against the Nova, the ZPM + Asgard shields could do the same. This is another debate entirely about the comparison of Asgard and Ancient technology. But it demonstates that a ZPM in conjunction with another's technology pushes it to the limits, and when it does that, the results are the same as when it is powered by the race's power source and thier own technology. A ZPM pushes a technology to its max yes, but that maximum is the same when a ZPM is plugged in to ancient technology as well. There is a mamimum strength something can be pushed too, whihc the ZPM takes a technology too, like hyperdrives or shields, the only difference is the duration of time something last for. The ZPM cant give out any more energy than it does, in conjunction with whatever shield, there no difference between how long atlantis can last and how long the deadalus could last with a ZPM, because the ZPM provides the same power, its only when 3 ZPM's are used that atlantis is able to last longer.
              Just because both technologies can do the same thing doesn't make them equal! Here's something for you Odysessy with the latest Asgard tech + ZPM can be taken out by around 10'ish Ori weapon hits, Atlantis can last days under Wraith bombardment which is more impressive? Atlantis! You're grasping for straws here you're making things up saying, Asgard technology maximum limits are the same as Ancient limits which is not true.

That's rubbish mate sorry saying the Deadalus's Asgard shields with a ZPM can last as long as Atlantis? Care to back it up with something other than conjecture and superficial evidence which I have already dismissed?

The Technology isnt weaker, the ZPM has a maximum output that both Asgard and Ancient technology can recieve from it, equally.
              Pure speculation and largely refuted in favor in the ancients in the show.

Comment

the ZPM simply powers a technology at max because it doesn't have an output limit
                we've seen an almost full ZPM depleted in a matter of moments in M&MM
                the actual limit is in the power systems not the ZPM itself

Comment

Can we have some extrenal opinions please because me and buba will argue like this all night long.
                  sigpic
                  11000! green me

Comment

Can we have some extrenal opinions please because me and buba will argue like this all night long.
                    I don't mind ^^^

Comment

the NIG, Naquadah generator, and Naquadriah generators would depend on size

obviously a small Naquadah generator like ours won't output as much power as the one on a Hatak.
                      on the other hand a Naquadriah generator would probably output more power than a Naquadah generator of comparable size because Naqudriah reaction is more powerful.
                      since we don't really know how a NIG works we can't compare it to the other two, but since it's a generator it probably won't match a ZPM.

Comment

No it wont match a ZPM but it could be a fraction of the power, like 1/4 which is what im surgesting, if the NIG is the msot advanced reactor/generator you can build besides arcturis or ZPM then i has to be pretty damn powerful and i dont think its OTT for it to be 1/4 of a ZPM..
                        sigpic
                        11000! green me

Comment

No it wont match a ZPM but it could be a fraction of the power, like 1/4 which is what im surgesting, if the NIG is the msot advanced reactor/generator you can build besides arcturis or ZPM then i has to be pretty damn powerful and i dont think its OTT for it to be 1/4 of a ZPM..
                          Who says it is the most advanced reactor/generator after ZPMs? Any fraction of a ZPM is huge.

Comment

No one said it was OTT, they just said your reasoning to support your 1/4 figure was flawed, and was based upon knowledge we don't really have. Namely, if there is an upper limit on hyperdrive speed, or at least current Asgard hyperdrive tech. Also were the engines on a Beliskner and Daedalus comparable, would they go the same speed if given equal amounts of power? Maybe a Beliskner has better engines and could get to Pegasus in 45 minutes if it had a ZPM hooked up. It's stuff we just don't know. Heck I can strap a drag racing engine in my Cavalier, but I can guarantee it's not gonna drive as well as a dragster.
                            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                              We do know that is the fastest that the drives we were given can get to Pegasus from the MW. But did the Asgard give us their best hyperdrives? I seem to remember the Asgard ships being a lot quicker than that.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Working...
                              X