This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pandora's Box in Ark of Truth

We all have heard of Pandora's Box one way or another. Basically it's a box that contains all the power of the Gods.
    Now we know that Stargate draws its plot from mythology what better sort then Pandora's Box. ie. It was created by the Gods (Alterns) and left to be open by Pandora release its power, what if this is the device that
    Spoiler:
    makes people think whatever the controller of the device wants even that the Ori are not Gods, so I think that this device might be a box and it is the mythological all powerful Pandora box what better power then the power of suggestion, telling someone to believe what ever you want them to.

So if anyone wants to comment please do so. This just came to me a sec ago so i wrote it in a hurry sorry for any typos or spelling mistakes. cheers

sigpic

Originally posted by tainor View Post
    We all have heard of Pandora's Box one way or another. Basically it's a box that contains all the power of the Gods.
    Now we know that Stargate draws its plot from mythology what better sort then Pandora's Box. ie. It was created by the Gods (Alterns) and left to be open by Pandora release its power, what if this is the device that
    Spoiler:
    makes people think whatever the controller of the device wants even that the Ori are not Gods, so I think that this device might be a box and it is the mythological all powerful Pandora box what better power then the power of suggestion, telling someone to believe what ever you want them to.

So if anyone wants to comment please do so. This just came to me a sec ago so i wrote it in a hurry sorry for any typos or spelling mistakes. cheers
    I doubt it, Pandora's Box was bad, the Ark of Truth is supposed to be good.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Well, it could be good or bad depending on what you tell it to tell people, I suppose.

Comment

The Box was created by the Gods to punish the humans because they've become too arogant As far as I can remember, so the Ancients might have created it to help them battle the Ori with out actually killing any one?

sigpic

Comment

And Pandora's Box was suppose to contain disease, hatered, fear, and etc..., and it was released when Pandora curiousity overcame her and she opened it. I don't understand how that can be the 'Ark of Truth.'

Also the Ancients weren't really known as Gods, persay. I thought they were known as the roadbuilders, as seen in 'Avalon, Pt. 2.' The Goa'uld, especially with Chronos, Athena, and Ares, were known as the Roman and Greek gods. At least that is what I thought.

: Green is Good.
          sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            Well, it could be good or bad depending on what you tell it to tell people, I suppose.
            It tells them the truth!

The Box was created by the Gods to punish the humans because they've become too arogant As far as I can remember, so the Ancients might have created it to help them battle the Ori with out actually killing any one?
            The problem is that the ark wasn't meant to hurt or punish anyone. The Alterans built it during the time of conflict with the Ori before they fled their home galaxy. They were going to deploy it, most likely to show all the humans the 'truth' that those beings whom they worshipped weren't gods, just ordinary living beings like them, just more evolved/advanced.

However, some of the Alterans didn't feel it was right to use it because it would have forced them to see the truth. Therefore they chose to leave the ark behind & flee to another galaxy to start over again.

Which probably falls into their ascended rules about giving people free choice.

There is a little bit about it on the main page in an interview.

Spoiler:
            Rob Cooper Interview:

Link

"I think there are a lot of really fun pay-offs that are coming in this movie. The other one is the Ark itself, which I find a truly fascinating centerpiece. It's a device that essentially is a -- I don't want to say "brain-washing" -- but it can be used to convince you of the truth.

Say you believe something, and I think that what you believe is wrong and so I program the Ark a certain way and open it and show you the inside, and now you'll believe the truth -- or believe what I've programmed. It's a mass brain-washing device. And the Ancients, before they were the Ancients, back when they were the Alterans. They were in this very tenuous predicament in their galaxy with the Ori being far, far greater numbers, and the Alterans believing in science and wanting to become a more progressive society -- the Ori being religious and wanting to eliminate that aspect from existence.

One of the Alteran scientists invented this device and said, "Look, we can avoid any kind of war by just using this on them and brain-washing them." And the rest of the Alterans said, "No, that's just wrong. Philosophically and morally it's wrong." And so instead what they did, was what is part of series canon, is they left. Instead of facing fighting, because they also didn't believe in using -- they had a ship, they had weapons, they could have killed the Ori (the people, human beings the Ori) -- they left. And they came to our galaxy. And history happened the way the series has told us.

But now, Daniel has found evidence that that device, the Ark of Truth, may still exist. And so we have to put ourselves in the position of: "Is this morally wrong?" Even if we do find it, should we use it? Is it the right thing to do to convince the Ori followers that their beliefs are wrong? Because, in fact, it's not necessarily wrong to believe in something ... what's wrong is to murder somebody because they don't believe the way you do. So we're not convincing them not to kill people -- we're actually changing their beliefs, if this all works out the way we think it might."

So can't see it having anything to do with Pandora because it does nothing more than show or more appropriately 'force people to learn the truth'. If anything, I'd probably say 'The Ark of the Covenant' got them started on the initial idea. They then tweaked it for use in the SG universe... jmo!

Comment

Originally posted by tainor View Post
              Sounds like your talking about my Video Ipod...

Comment

any box can hurt you, throw it at someone, you take an eye out...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                  It tells them the truth!
                  But who's version?? Imagin if the warriors of the Ori got it, and used it on planet's wholesale, telling them the truth is that the Ori are the true gods?

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                  The problem is that the ark wasn't meant to hurt or punish anyone. The Alterans built it during the time of conflict with the Ori before they fled their home galaxy. They were going to deploy it, most likely to show all the humans the 'truth' that those beings whom they worshipped weren't gods, just ordinary living beings like them, just more evolved/advanced.
                  True dat, though i wonder why the Ori never found it in all this time..

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                    I doubt it, Pandora's Box was bad, the Ark of Truth is supposed to be good.
                    Is it? Everything I've heard about it seems quite bad/immoral...

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      But who's version?? Imagin if the warriors of the Ori got it, and used it on planet's wholesale, telling them the truth is that the Ori are the true gods?
                      It's obviously gotta be the Alteran version that is true as it's been pretty much made clear that they are the 'good guys' in all of it! They done their stuff, then let their people be free & do whatever the heck they wanted without interfering. Whereas Ori still maintain that link, dictating what those on the lower plains do. Which is of course worshipping them as supereme beings, which in turn gives them more power to sap the more who follow them.

They claim they are gods, keep their people primitive so as to not get too advanced where they may begin to question what they have been led to beleive, as well as being the creators of everything, which we know they are not. Then they try to get worlds to convert to see them as the true creators etc. Yet they didn't even know this galaxy existed until DJ & Vala went to their home galaxy. If nobody believes then they are to be destroyed.

At least with the Alterans/Lanteans, they give people free choice to do whatever they want. They even shielded & protected this galaxy from the Ori up until a short while ago.

It's simply the fact that their followers themselves have been brainwashed by 'false gods' since birth. Therefore extreme circumstances call for extreme measures.

Although I'd rather have preferred them actually fight & wipe out the Ori, instead of using another magical device to put everything back to just the way it was. To me the best possible ending would have been to take it to a mini-series. Cut out the events of 'The Shroud' & 'Dominion'. Then end it all in a 4/6/8 hour spectacular that involves an all out ascended war (Lanteans/ Alterans vs Ori) for ultimate control, while the Priors are busy conquering the MW. The SGC is using all the Asgard ships that they were left to combat them & help save the galaxy. While SG-1 goes into the home galaxy, chased by Adria. I think that would probably have worked out better & they could have still released it direct to DVD as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X