This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Ida Andromeda?

Is Ida what we call the Andromeda Galaxy?
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

No. It is a fictional Dwarf Galaxy orbiting the Milky Way.I suppose you could claim that it is actually one of the real galaxies orbiting the MW, but I don't see why someone would bother because there isn't any location information given on it except that it is nearby.

Comment

I refer you to this thread, have have been discussing it there.

Comment

Probably not. Andromeda is about 2.5 million light-years away and about 220,000 light years across, so no point in it would be over 4 million light years away from any point in the Milky way (about 100,000 light years diameter), which was the distance Selmak said they had travelled in "Exodus." That galaxy may have been Ida due to the presence of Replicators.

That's as good evidence as I've seen for anything resembling the location of Ida, but it's by no means certain. It seems to be implied the Replicators only infested Ida and the Milky Way, but it's never been stated in certain terms as far as I know.

I would also think that Thor would have said something like "the galaxy you call Andromeda" if it were Andromeda seeing how it's the most well known galaxy outside our own, but that's pure speculation.

Comment

Ida galaxy is likely to be either LMC or SMC (Large/Small Magellanic Cloud) because of travelling time to earth. Those two big galaxies are a) close enough to MW b) big enough for Asgard empire to influence MW affairs a lot.

Use Celestia, it explains a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
            Ida galaxy is likely to be either LMC or SMC (Large/Small Magellanic Cloud) because of travelling time to earth. Those two big galaxies are a) close enough to MW b) big enough for Asgard empire to influence MW affairs a lot.

Use Celestia, it explains a lot.
            There are other galaxies closer than those two if you are going for closeness.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
              There are other galaxies closer than those two if you are going for closeness.
              Yes, but those are so close that they are almost part of milky way itself.

Comment

Originally posted by chobit View Post
                Probably not. Andromeda is about 2.5 million light-years away and about 220,000 light years across, so no point in it would be over 4 million light years away from any point in the Milky way (about 100,000 light years diameter), which was the distance Selmak said they had travelled in "Exodus." That galaxy may have been Ida due to the presence of Replicators.

That's as good evidence as I've seen for anything resembling the location of Ida, but it's by no means certain. It seems to be implied the Replicators only infested Ida and the Milky Way, but it's never been stated in certain terms as far as I know.

I would also think that Thor would have said something like "the galaxy you call Andromeda" if it were Andromeda seeing how it's the most well known galaxy outside our own, but that's pure speculation.
                But SG-1 have been to Ida a few time so surly they would have had some idea that they where in the ida galaxy! Maybe the hataks computers did not but i am sure Sam would note some knowledge of the Ida galaxy from the asgard!
                Also i am sure the replicators are in other galaxies including the one from "enimies". As Thor once said that the replicators have gathered technology from races even more advanced than the asgard!

There4 i recon Ida is its own galaxy (maybe one of the clusters orditing the MW)
                sigpic
                Banner Made By Me for Me
                The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Grrr, read the thread I linked to we have discussed all this, if you feel you have extra info post it there.

Comment

I heard on some show on the discovery channel awhile back that only Spiral Galaxies similar to the Milkyway's size or bigger have any possibility of having planets that can support life.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman View Post
                      I heard on some show on the discovery channel awhile back that only Spiral Galaxies similar to the Milkyway's size or bigger have any possibility of having planets that can support life.
                      It is widely believed to be the case, yes.

In reality none of the small galaxies around the MW has any chance (as far as we know) to contain life, that includes the Pegasus galaxies.

In scifi though that is not really an argument for there not being any. Also remember that the Ancients spent many years creating life in atleast the pegasus galaxy believing there to be none at all until they encountered the Wraith. Who knows what the Ancients did to make the galaxy support life...

Comment

Originally posted by NATIK View Post
                        It is widely believed to be the case, yes.

In reality none of the small galaxies around the MW has any chance (as far as we know) to contain life, that includes the Pegasus galaxies.

In scifi though that is not really an argument for there not being any. Also remember that the Ancients spent many years creating life in atleast the pegasus galaxy believing there to be none at all until they encountered the Wraith. Who knows what the Ancients did to make the galaxy support life...
                        Well they would have to bring in many different elements in astronomical amounts to terraform planets and would have to solform (I just made that word up) a lot of stars. Though I suppose the Ancients could handle it.

Comment

Working...
                        X