The F-302 Fighter..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The F-302 Fighter..

Hey guys, this is my first post, I pretty much signed up to ask this question but I intend on sticking around

Anyway, after seeing the F-302 in Stargate, I became curious at how it can even fly. The design of it suggests it lacks the aerodynamics required to get it off the ground, let alone maneuver in the way it does. But the plotline of Stargate confirms it's a hybrid between Goa'uld and Earth technology, so the writers can pretty much say it flies "..because it does".

I was wondering if anybody had any theories or ideas on how it's able to do what it does in the show, based on it's design. Here's a front-end view of the craft, and as you can see it has really blocky features, little intake.. it just doesn't look like a conventional aircraft.

A top-angle view shows more detail in the wing and forward sections, and obviously the way the wings drop down in the way that they do just adds to my confusion!

What do you think?
    "You wanna run this ship?"
    "YES!"
    "W.. well, you can't."

TPTB didnt design it to be like an F-22. They didnt even really design it for it to look like it can fly. They just wanted something that was eye candy.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Comment

HI,

I have to agree on the eye candy, as it does look smart in the air - plus why think too much into it when it moves like it does - it works therefore it is!!!

Comment

magnets ............ thats always the answer

dunno tbh,i doubt it utilizes the physics of atmospheric flight as is known now though(flaps, ailerons, rudders etc) + power overcomes alot of the need for aerodynamics, the wings may just be there to get it "airborne" till its "alien" tech kicks in(also allows space for weapon pylons)
        sigpic
        EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
        -Liberty Prime

Comment

more likley that this is one of those things no one is really going to uderstand, plus seen as its part alien they can always blame the tech on that!!

Comment

Considering that it has inertial dampeners it needs much less power to get airborne than it woudl in the real world. It weighs pratically nothing.

Comment

I don't really see why it couldn't fly. It just appears to be a forward swept, flying wing (2 links). As for the wings angling down, it doesn't seem to angle that much, and I have my doubts as to whether that would prevent flight, and it may have something to do with it's deathglider inspiration.
              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

It's an inverse V-tail, theoretically if the wing isn't shaped too bad with enough power it'll fly.

Comment

well in my opinion it mostly doing space combat so probaly dosent matter how the wings are made

Comment

Originally posted by Davesg-43 View Post
                    well in my opinion it mostly doing space combat so probaly dosent matter how the wings are made
                    It does matter how it flies, otherwise you wouldn't get into space as they did in quite a few eps

Comment

Ahh, thanks for the replies guys. I see what you mean Jds1982, that clears things up alot. I know it's odd to put so much thought into it, but it's such a beautifully designed plane, and even without the alien tech.. and infact even without it's fighting capabilities, it's design scratches an itch in terms of comming up with a simple, 2-man craft that can go into space. Kinda like the Delta Glider from Orbiter
                      "You wanna run this ship?"
                      "YES!"
                      "W.. well, you can't."

Comment

GV: What makes it fly?

SAM: It's difficult to explain, Sir. The power plant doesn't exert force against gravity so much as take enertia out of the equation. Even pilots are immune to ordinary G forces. We don't completely understand the physics ---

This is a direct quote from the show referring to the X-301, I imagine the 302 functions either similarly or identically.
                        sigpic
                        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                        ~David Hewlett

Comment

Obviously, by the time of Allies, some kind of repulsorlift has been addded.
                          These things were hoevering above the tier like helicopters, and could switfly resume theri course thereafter.
                          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

The drooping wings would make the craft more unstable which is exactly what you'd need in a multi-role (space and atmospheric) fighter. In civilian craft not designed for stunts, some have an upward V to the wings called dihedral. If the plane rolls slightly, the lower wing gains lift, and the higher wing loses lift pulling the plane back to upright. In a droop-wing, the lower wing would lose more lift and the higher wing would gain more lift which would push the fighter over more quickly. I'm not so sure the wings are forward swept so much as they are tapered near the ends.
                            FOR THE LAST TIME!!! THE IDs DONT REDUCE MASS! They reduce the intertial effects associated with any acceleration, they do help by reducing the inertial drag of external accelerations (accelerating to orbit, turns etc.)
                            Yea, I caught that in "Allies" as well. I'm not sure they were hovering so much as they pitched up at a high angle, kept moving forward, then put on the thrust and accelerated away. Some propeller planes can do this infact they can pitch straight up and hover in mid air. I've seen a pic of an RC plane do that and heard of stunt performers at I think AirVenture. Perhaps it is some sort of phenomenon associated with the INERTIAL (not mass) dampener.
                            When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                            Zatnikitelman

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
                              FOR THE LAST TIME!!! THE IDs DONT REDUCE MASS!
                              Go watch The Eye/The Storm in SGA season 1. Beckett changes the settings on the Inertial Dampeners to add more mass to the PJ so it doesn't get blown away in a hurricane.

In SG cannon Inertial Dampeners do effect the mass of the craft.

Comment

Working...
                              X