This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sublight Engines on our Ships

Ok do we use the Hebridan Ion Drive or some other source of sublight engines?

I have always thought that we used Hebridan Ion Drives but do we or don't we?
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    sigpic
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Probably, or some standard sublight drive. Definately not conventional chemical rockets, no chemical rockets we have now can propell something the size as Prometheus into space in 30 seconds.
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
      Ok do we use the Hebridan Ion Drive or some other source of sublight engines?

I have always thought that we used Hebridan Ion Drives but do we or don't we?
      Prometheus was introduced in S6. It had sublight with Asgard designed hyperdrive capabilities.

The very first ep we saw the Hebridans was in 6x18. Which was after Prometheus was built & launched. Therefore it would be impossible for it to have had Ion drives at the time.

In 'Space Race', which was in S7. They were trying to get their hands on an Ion drive.

Since they had Asgard designed hyperdrives at the time, then I think it's prudent to suspect that they had the accompanying Asgard designed sublight drive to go along with it.

However if they already had a suitable sublight design of their own, then it most likely came from them studying Goa'uld ships that they managed to get their hands on over the years for however brief a period.

Now though since they have proper Asgard hyperdrives on their 304's, that they also have the proper Asgard sublight engines to go along with them!

Comment

I'm assuming the originals (for Prometheus) were Goa'uls sublight engines, but I think we've upgraded to Asgard-based designs for the 304s.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
          Probably, or some standard sublight drive.
          You mean chemical rockets.

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
          Definately not conventional chemical rockets, no chemical rockets we have now can propell something the size as Prometheus into space in 30 seconds.
          Inertial dampeners/compensators effectively reduce the mass of ships by 90%, so yes, they can propel a ship into orbit and beyond.

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy
          Since they had Asgard designed hyperdrives at the time, then I think it's prudent to suspect that they had the accompanying Asgard designed sublight drive to go along with it.
          The Asgard sub-light propulsion system seems to be a reactionless propulsion system, like the inertial drive systems found in most Goa'uld ships.

Originally posted by s09119
          I'm assuming the originals (for Prometheus) were Goa'uls sublight engines, but I think we've upgraded to Asgard-based designs for the 304s.
          Neither the Goa'uld nor Asgard use engines like Prometheus or Daedalus class ships. Have you ever seen a Goa'uld or Asgard ship with big ass rockets on the back like the Earth ships? I haven't.

Even the 302 uses three different kinds of modern day sub-light propulsion systems: Normal jet engines, aero spike engines for high altitudes and a chemical rocket booster. The inertial dampener/compensator allows normal propulsion systems to work just as well as anything the Goa'uld have.
          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
            You mean chemical rockets.
            No i mean what ever system the Gould and/or Asgard use. Yes it probably does eject something from the rear end of the engine, as we have seen before but its not like combustion rockets we use for the shuttle. We never see a smoke trail as exhaust.

Inertial dampeners/compensators effectively reduce the mass of ships by 90%, so yes, they can propel a ship into orbit and beyond.
            If we turned on inertial dampeners wouldn't we be making the ship more heavy rather than lighter? And where have you heard that the inertial dampeners can reduce the mass by 90%, quite frankly I haven't heard them say the inertial dampeners reduces mass.

Neither the Goa'uld nor Asgard use engines like Prometheus or Daedalus class ships. Have you ever seen a Goa'uld or Asgard ship with big ass rockets on the back like the Earth ships? I haven't.
            We have never seen an engine of any sort on a Hatak, but we have seen them on Alkesh http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s10/...iders0000.html. The Asgard have no real defined engines visible but i assume the glowing blue parts have to do with propulsion. http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s9/9...amelot560.html

Even the 302 uses three different kinds of modern day sub-light propulsion systems: Normal jet engines, aero spike engines for high altitudes and a chemical rocket booster. The inertial dampener/compensator allows normal propulsion systems to work just as well as anything the Goa'uld have.
            No arguement with that, they said the engines on the 302s in redemption. But they never had the blue glow they have now, so possibly they have the hebridian ion drives on those.

Post 2500, first prime, which system lord shall i plead allegiance to?

Comment

Maybe they have some sort of Magnetoplasmadynamic thrusters.
              sigpic
              "We are the Fifth Race. Our role is clear. If there is any hope in preserving the future, it lies with us."
              Signature made by RJB

Comment

Originally posted by wilson359 View Post
                Maybe they have some sort of Magnetoplasmadynamic thrusters.
                isn't that what an ion engine is?
                That's the plan?!? That's the plan. That plan sucks!

Comment

We built our own ion drives.

Remember the Hebridian's gave us a version of their ion drives.

Inertial dampeners are a system used on almost all ships to counter the effects of rapid acceleration/deceleration of a vessel by sustaining and absorbing the natural inertia of a vessel as it either moves through space or if it is under attack from another vessel.

Prometheus engines are unknown, but it was more than likely that it used chemical based propulsion. They had earth built inertial dampeners so the ship was probably slow. When it was upgraded we got an asgard ion drive so it was faster and asgard inertial dampeners.

Daedalus/Oddy/Apollo all have more asgard tech so they would be more efficient.
                  Visit my Website

Comment

I think our ships have some kind of chemical thrusters or maybe ion drives.

The Goa'uld and Asgard ships have great manuverability(for example in 9*20 Camelot), but our ships only can go forward. Daedalus class ships are very fast but they can't do more direction manuvers like Goa'uld or Asgard ships can.

Comment

Originally posted by Army1990 View Post
                      I think our ships have some kind of chemical thrusters or maybe ion drives.

The Goa'uld and Asgard ships have great manuverability(for example in 9*20 Camelot), but our ships only can go forward. Daedalus class ships are very fast but they can't do more direction manuvers like Goa'uld or Asgard ships can.
                      Have you seen Atlantis? The Daedalus in Atlantis has been observed to be highly maneuverable for a ship its size. In comparison, 304s in MW are pretty much just flying buckets. I think that probably has something to do with the fact that the Daedalus' crew are more experience and know what they can get out of the Daedalus.

Comment

I thought the flip we did in Unending was pretty cool, dodged the Ori primary canon fire and got behind them and blew their engines which secondary explosion destroyed the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                          Have you seen Atlantis? The Daedalus in Atlantis has been observed to be highly maneuverable for a ship its size. In comparison, 304s in MW are pretty much just flying buckets. I think that probably has something to do with the fact that the Daedalus' crew are more experience and know what they can get out of the Daedalus.
                          You misunderstood me.

I said that the Daedalus can do high speed manouvers, but it can't do such kind of manouvers like Asgard or Goa'uld ships can. Have you seen ep. Camelot? The Asgard and Goa'uld ships are manouvering in every direction without turning the ship. The Daedalus can't do that kind of manouvers.

Comment

Asgard ship still went in a straight line. looking directly at a hatak i cant tell which way is the front and which is the rear of the ship, they have no visible propulsion engines, probably one of the most unique ships in all of scifi.

Comment

I'm thinking they use some kind of nuclear propulsion, the concepts have been around for years and were probably greatly enhanced by understanding of alien tech.

Comment

Working...
                              X