X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of First Strike

Spoiler:
    When atlantis had 24 hours of power left before the sheild runs out, cant they just seal all the door to keep the atmosphere in the rooms of the city and use naquada generators to power life support in the rooms and not in the bubble that the sheild creates?
    Company of Thieves

Daniel: You might want to prepare to return fire.

Marks: For the record, Im always prepared. I just have to push this button.

Evidently not, because if that were the case then it would make SG:A 'logical' which it sure as hell hasn't been in the past 2 years.
    You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

Comment

well i think all the essential system controls are in rooms where there are windows which would blow out when the shield fails. From the long goodbye we learned that crew quarters are linked to a hazmat storage room through some sort of ventilation, it is possible it is more extensive and could spread througout the city making the sealed room needing to be even more isolated.
      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

The ship also would be hit by debree in space, which would cause major damage to Atlantis's fairly light structure.
        Disliked a recent episode?
        Hate the current season Stargate Atlantis or SG1?
        The writers killed off your favourite character?

Well suck it up Cupcake. It is only a Television Show.

Comment

Now how much impact would that make? That's the same effect turning off wifi has on your laptop's battery life - virually zero to none.

Comment

Atlantis doesn't appear to be air tight lol. There's also the fact that as soon as the shield fails because of diffusion the air is going to go rushing out into space so windows etc will explode outwards and everyone will die. I'm sure there must be some areas of the city which are safe but how practical that is I don't know.
            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

and don't forget the Asuran satellite cut through half the main tower

Comment

If it is not water tight it is not air tight

Comment

Originally posted by Lord batchi ball View Post
                  Not a true statement. You can make something space worthy without making it water-tight.

Space involves the air inside the structure pressing outward.

Water involves much greater pressure from the outside, crushing the structure.

Space is actually a much easier obstacle to overcome, as it involves only one atmosphere of pressure. Going underwater usually involves many times that pressure, depending on depth.
                  Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                    Atlantis doesn't appear to be air tight lol. There's also the fact that as soon as the shield fails because of diffusion the air is going to go rushing out into space so windows etc will explode outwards and everyone will die. I'm sure there must be some areas of the city which are safe but how practical that is I don't know.
                    It is air tight though!

We know from 'The Hot Zone' that the city automatically locked everything when it detected a problem. Preventing the virus from spreading throughout the city & infecting others. Those in the mess hall only got infected because of Peterson, if they hadn't screwed up it wouldn't have got in. Just like it didn't get into the main control room.

Therefore the city has to be airtight if it locks itself down. No point in quaratining people automatically when a threat is detected. Only for an airborne agent to get through the cracks across the city & infect the trapped personnel.

It doesn't work the way you are thinking. Ther city was submerged to the bottom of an ocean. It was the immense crushing pressure placed on the unshielded city that damaged it, obviously allowing water to get inside & cause damage. There is a big, big difference in something being water tight, which is simply to prevent water from getting inside, than surviving the pressure at the bottom of the ocean.

The perfect real life example is with a submarine. In a submarine, the hull of the submarine must support the pressure outside so that the pressure of the air inside the submarine doesn't increase. If the pressure did reach the air inside the submarine, that air would occupy less and less volume and the submarine would crush. That's why the hull of a submarine must be so strong--it must hide the tremendous water pressure outside the hull from the air inside the hull. Also known as the 'crush depth'.

There really wouldn't be any difference with Atlantis given the sheer amount of pressures it would have faced at the bottom of the ocean!

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
                      Now how much impact would that make? That's the same effect turning off wifi has on your laptop's battery life - virually zero to none.
                      It actually would make a big impact. When Atlantis was taking off, they shut off the sheild for a few moments to get enough power to escape the planet's gravity. So they should get at least a couple more hours of power left.
                      Company of Thieves

Daniel: You might want to prepare to return fire.

Marks: For the record, Im always prepared. I just have to push this button.

Comment

Well I doubt the windows, which are made from glass or something similar are anywhere near strong enough to keep all that atmosphere from bursting out into space.
                        I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

The team could shield certain areas only like the main tower-it would buy them more time to come up with a solution-or Mc'Kay will get Project Arcturas working and power the city to a planet

Comment

Originally posted by Asuran View Post
                            It actually would make a big impact. When Atlantis was taking off, they shut off the sheild for a few moments to get enough power to escape the planet's gravity. So they should get at least a couple more hours of power left.
                            They did also fly head on into beam, since they are moving towards it it probably drained even more of the shield. Its like lights when you move away (submerging the city) it would be weaker (red shifted) when you move towards it (flying) it would be stronger (blue shifted). That may have caused more damage, and the tremendous amount of energy we wasted having the city hover over the water could be another factor.
                            Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Before anyone says quit with the colors, I see what you're talking about-the energy or particles making up the beam would be hitting the city much faster thus more of them etc though I doubt that'd make much difference given how fast the beam seems to travel.

Perhaps the shield doesn't have to exist in a bubble state. Remember in "Rising" when McKay said something like because of the low power levels, the shield had collapsed itself to just a thin shell against the water's crushing pressure? Why not apply that to their current situation? As it has been mentioned, it is far easier to resist 14.7 PSI (or less!) pushing out than possibly hundreds of PSI pushing in.
                              When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                              Zatnikitelman

Comment

Working...
                              X