Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't there a Cloaking Device on Daedulas ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why isn't there a Cloaking Device on Daedulas ?

Ok we know if you take a Cloaking device off a jumper and reroute it into Atlantis shield generator you have a cloak but know shields .So why haven't they done this to Daedulas or Apollo .

Shouldn't there be jumpers on the SGC ships by now .They can be used as shuttles for the ships .

The jumpers are rare and are needed elsewhere most likely

Comment

Plus when they did it on atlantis, it was takiing one ancient device and working it into another ancient device. I am unsure if the shields/cloaks are reverse compatible with our tech.... unlike the zpms.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        Plus when they did it on atlantis, it was takiing one ancient device and working it into another ancient device. I am unsure if the shields/cloaks are reverse compatible with our tech.... unlike the zpms.
        I don't see why they wouldn't be!

They can integrate ZPM's into their 304's. They can integrate Asgard technology as well. Then they can interface human computers & power generators into Atlantis. They can repair damaged Puddle Jumpers. They can screw around with them to make a shield. As well as stripping a cloak from a PJ & interfacing it into Atlantis.

The simple reason that they don't want to give it a cloak is it would make their writing a lot harder. Think of it for a moment, they could have the Daedalus cloak, then sneak up beside an unsuspecting Hive ship. Then launch a few nukes right into it & take it out without them having any sort of warning. If it were more realistic then Daedalus would most likely have a cloak, that would be for me the number one priority after the jamming devices were originally enabled on the Hives.

I'd really have loved to see them address the issue at the time. They think they are on top for a few eps, but eventually the Wrfaith come up with a way to detect Lantean cloaks that are moving. Which wouldn't have impacted anything on Atlantis because it was stationary on the planet for S2, S3. As well as addressing a critical piece of technology & strategy that they would have most definitely tried if it were in real life. Just as quick, they take away the advantage by having the enemy discover a way around it, thus nullifying it just as quickly as the good guys got it. That's the sort of creative writing that I feel the show has been lacking up till now!

I would love to see them use it in S4, but can't see them using it now. 2 seasons after they first came up with the idea in 'The Siege III'.

Comment

The shield is replaced by the cloak, if they are hit they are pretty screwed. The wraith can't detect lantean cloaks, the time they got shot in the Rising was because they were hit when the darts fired blindly. The wraith likely used the same tactics on the transport vessels in Before i sleep, if they could detect a cloaked jumper then why was shepherd able to do his kamikaze nuke in the siege, and the various intel gathering missions in letters from pegasus? and if we cloaked a 304 and the wraith scrambled darts, theyd run into us, we'd take damage and give away our position.
          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

The cloak takes alot of power and ZPMs are needed elsewhere they may be able to use a Asgard generator but the Wraith maybe able to dectect them just like the Ori did.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord batchi ball View Post
              The cloak takes alot of power and ZPMs are needed elsewhere they may be able to use a Asgard generator but the Wraith maybe able to dectect them just like the Ori did.
              You don't need a ZPM to power a cloak. If a cargo ship can extend their hyperspace field around an asteroid that is probably several thousand times it size, then I don't imagine the power requirement for sticking a PJ cloak on a 304 would be astronomical.
              The production reason they haven't done it is stated a few posts up. The simple canon solution that I can think of is that Jumpers are rare. We don't have that many so to go around stripping them out to stick parts on our ships is probably not wise. Add to that the fact that cloaks didn't help the Ancients against the Wraith so what makes you think they would help us. We are still vastly outnumbered so I would personally say that having a visible fully shielded 304 is much better than having an invisible cloaked one.

Plus, as far as we know, weapons cannot be fired while a ship is cloaked. Although this may change as when cargo ships were first introduced they had to decloak to receive ring transmissions but in Beachhead Vala ringed over to a cloaked ship. Plus beaming didn't work through a cloak until The Shroud. For now, I`m going to believe that no weapons; energy or otherwise, can be used when a ship is cloaked.

Comment

Even if it could be launched i see no point of cloaking a ship then, all you could do is gain a first strike, after that you would give a way your position and you'd get blown out of the sky. If there are 3 hives they could cover enough area with their weapons fire to make the chances of hitting the cloaked 304 possible, which is not a good probablility when the target is a unshielded ship.

Comment

You need a ZPM to power the cloaking field for something like the Daedalus, even Ha'tak's couldn't cloak, except that one time. It isn't because cloaking needs more power than the shield it's because without a ZPM or an Asgard generator, the Daedalus class ship shields never run at 100%, it's a long story but in "The Siege, pt 3" when the ZPM is removed from the Daedalus, the shield status monitor is at 75% and plus the whole 4 days vs. 18 days trip time meaning that the systems aren't at full power with the Naqahdah generators and the cloak isn't like the shield, it's all or none, the shield can be used until you reach 0% energy levels.

Vala,

Comment

A cloak wouldn't have much use in a Battle Cruiser. In SG-1 the cloak was often used to sneak past more powerful ships, well Earth Ships are exponentially faster than Wraith ones, so no sneaking required.

As for re-con, the ships are fast enough to zoom by and obtain readings (stated in "First Strike"), and Daedalus shields are even powerful enough to stop in a cluster of a Wraith Armada for a few dozen seconds, and only take on minimal damage.
                    sigpic
                    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                    ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                      You need a ZPM to power the cloaking field for something like the Daedalus, even Ha'tak's couldn't cloak, except that one time. It isn't because cloaking needs more power than the shield it's because without a ZPM or an Asgard generator, the Daedalus class ship shields never run at 100%, it's a long story but in "The Siege, pt 3" when the ZPM is removed from the Daedalus, the shield status monitor is at 75% and plus the whole 4 days vs. 18 days trip time meaning that the systems aren't at full power with the Naqahdah generators and the cloak isn't like the shield, it's all or none, the shield can be used until you reach 0% energy levels.

Vala,
                      Has that ever actually been stated? For all we know, the cloak uses 25% less power than a shield so where a shield would be running at 75%, the cloak would be running at 100%. Without any sort of power usage information, we can`t say for sure whether a 304 needs a ZPM to use the cloak.
                      The Odyssey has a ZPM and cloak but it had the ZPM anyway before it was equipped with the cloak so we don't know if the ZPM is actually required or not.
                      You should also take into account that when the Daedalus' shield monitor was displaying 75%, they were under attack by the Wraith. We don't know how much of an affect the Wraith weapons had on the shield strength between the ZPM being removed and that screen being shown.

Comment

Who's to say the Asgard shield generators are capable of projecting a cloaking field?

We know Atlantis's shield is arguably the most advanced and powerful shield there is likely without 'imperfections' which maybe be prone to less advanced shields. It's possible that using an inferior Asgard shield generator would have noticeable anomalies which could be detected giving away the position. Where as with atlantis due to the nature of the shield it is a perfect cloak.

That's my theory anyway.
                        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

The asgard have succesfully created a cloak before but it was never used on a ship (refference to Shades of Grey)

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                            The asgard have succesfully created a cloak before but it was never used on a ship (refference to Shades of Grey)
                            Yeah I know they have but it doesn't mean that they used a shield generator to do it.

For all we know asgard shields work in an entirely different way to ancient ones which stops them from being used as cloaks.
                            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

i think it would give them a tiny bit more power to the earth ships, i think would rather see space battles then watch a ship invisible to sensors and destroying a ship without the other ship pulling up a fight...

and maybe there isnt a cloak for the daedalus is because they they want one??
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X