This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tau'ri Fleet-Why so small?

I've been wondering to myself, why has the Earth fleet remained so small with only a max of 4 ships at any 1 time which was promptly cut down to 2 after the battle of Camelot. I would have thought that with all of the Ha'Tak class ships in the galaxy that Earth would have purchased sum from the Jaffa or the Tok'Ra. Even with the ships they have built they still have had times where they need a ship as transport. Of course build your own starships but use the Ha'taks as a stopgap until your homebuilt fleet is big enough. What do you think?

the Jaffa would never trust us enough to sell us a mothership
    and the Lucian Alliance.. well they don't have too much to spare
    even the Tok'ra were opposed to us having spaceships from the very beginning

Comment

Ohhh forgot to mention stealing them from the Goa'uld. Bra'tak may pull sum strings for us for 1 or 2 ships-if we win the war with the Ori and save the Jaffa-who knows

Comment

The Jaffa probably wouldn't sell ships. They want to ensure they have the power to defend themselves and this would mean having as many Ha'taks as possible.

Plus it takes time to build a 304. It's not like Earth has massive drydocks to build a load of ships at the time. It has to be done in secret. Also, they contain a bunch of pretty advanced technology which would take time to manufacture.
        "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

We might be able to buy sum for a lot of Naquada or a bit of Naquadria. I ask about the possibility throughout the entire 10 seasons why there were not attempts to take Ha'taks during the Goa'uld days-the Lucian Alliance got their hands on a load of them much quicker than the Free Jaffa did.

Comment

and don't forget the billions of dollar that have to be spent in secret

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
              and don't forget the billions of dollar that have to be spent in secret
              I thought about that-the SGC could mine Naquada-buy a Ha'Tak-and man it with a skeleton crew. The SGC has subspace comms so u could keep a small fleet in hyperspace( as to not attract a Goa'uld/Ori fleet) and have them patrol irregular routes.

An advantage of using Ha'Taks during the Goa'uld day was that you could sneak through enemy terrain with little attention unlike a 303 which would be attacked as soon as it drops out of hyperspace

Comment

Wel the SGC is still Classified TOP Secret .So not alot of personal to use for building ships .Theres only hand full of Military and civilan personal to use for building the ships and not draw alot of attention to it .

If they had ship yard like in Norfolk or Philly or in San Dieago and the 100 ,000's of workers to build the ships they they'd be putting ships out maybe every 6 months thats if we pushed it .The ship building program is small compared to what they really could have .

Comment

It costs 1 Billion US dollars to manufacture one B-2 Stealth bomber. Building a 304 has to be in the trillions of dollars per unit, and this is a programbeing kept secret from the tax payers. That is the mainreason.
                  www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

We could build more ships if other nations would have built it too

I think a big nation like China, Russia, Great-Britain, Japan, maybe the EU have enough money and indrustial capacity to build a 304.

Comment

My point is not about the 304 and its production run because that will take a long time but my point is why have they not sought after more Ha'taks. The SGC has had 2 in thier possession-Cronus's lead Ha'tak and one of Anubis's advanced Ha'tak both of which they lost. Even if they could not get a hold of many Ha'tak's what about Al'Kesh and Tel'Tak class ships. Senetor Kinsey and the NID wanted the aquisition of technology to be a priority mission for the SGC-I agree that the SGC was quite lazy in getting any kind of ships because of the exploration missions they were undertaking. While these were useful Earth was still a tempting target and 3-4 Ha'Taks would certainly eliviate pressure on the SGC for ships

Comment

I don´t think it would do much diffrens with one or two ha´taks I mean their shilds are not good (One ori shot and they are gone) but their weapens are pretty good though
                        sigpic

Comment

While I agree that having a few Ha-tak ships around could come in handy. I belive that given that our ships are so far more superior at least in shielding atm what is the point to acquiring a bunch of technologically inferior ships to our fleet? Especially given the events of the series finale. I mean if one ship could now take out an entire fleet of ha-taks then what is the point of having them?

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Originally posted by JoNzA View Post
                            I don´t think it would do much diffrens with one or two ha´taks I mean their shilds are not good (One ori shot and they are gone) but their weapens are pretty good though
                            Early on though before the Prometheus was built eg seasons 1-4 three or four Ha'taks would be better than nothing against a fleet of Goa'uld controlled Ha'Taks

The point of having Ha'taks later on is that we could uprage them if possible or strip the cannons from the ship to equip to the pre Asgard Legacy 304's.The Ha'taks would still be good for cargo transport as which pirates could hurt one????? agreed our ships are far superior but we could do with as many ships as possible.
                            Last edited by Jyral Nadreth; 25 July 2007, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jyral Nadreth View Post
                              Early on though before the Prometheus was built eg seasons 1-4 three or four Ha'taks would be better than nothing against a fleet of Goa'uld controlled Ha'Taks
                              well at that time we had not seen them in battle with any other enemy.( Atleast what I can remeber)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X