This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth ship engineers

Why do they always put the highly sensitive and slightly explosive equipment all around the bridge? As soon as the shield takes a hit, the place lights up like Chinese fireworks and smoke starts pouring out... and yet systems seem to continue to operate, despite the apparent internal destruction. Ostensibly, if the shield took a hit and nada happened in the bridge, the viewer would beleft in question ove rthe effectivity of the weapon firing on the ship, but sometimes the explosions and smoke look REALLY corny.

Lol, I know what you mean. Also, why is it whenever a ship is hit nowhere near the bridge there are usually still explosions there? Dosn't make any sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiefer13 View Post
      Lol, I know what you mean. Also, why is it whenever a ship is hit nowhere near the bridge there are usually still explosions there? Dosn't make any sense to me.
      It's because of the electrical arcs that travel to the bridge and blow fuses and what not. Energy weapons have a habit of doing that sometimes.

Don't believe me? It's ok. I just pulled that out of my butt.

Comment

but yet when a ZPM is plugged in, we see no sparks whatsoever

maybe if they didn't make the ships so overgadgeted it wouldn't be a problem

it's funny that on Goauld/Ancient/Ori/Asgard ships, all you get is few consoles and some control crystals
        but on Earth ships, you get so many gadgets hanging all over the walls with no apparent use whatsoever other than to provide extras all over the ships with something to play with instead of staring at the window
        but should the situation call for it, we find out the ships can easily be operated by two individuals

Comment

It could be that since the control systems for the vital systems that are effected by enemy fire are located rightly on the bridge. Although in reality I don't see things exploding like that and still working. Plus I guess it just adds more drama to space battles to see sparks fly whenever a shot hits a ship.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Well all I can say is that the problem is much worse on Star trek Enterprise as with the amount of sparkss flying around on that bridge would more than likely have blinded 3-4 people. Stargate does it better as you only see sparks if the ship is being hit by the Ori cannon(fair point really-they should be considered lucky for seeing sparks instead of space) or when the shields have almost been depleted. Earth is the newest race around to become a major power with such primative technology but when they star building vessels with Asgard legacy knowledge the sparks should be at a minimum

Comment

The sparkage is something I have noticed is different between the two SGs.

In SG-1, as soon as the Odyssey/Prometheus shields go below about 80% the sparks start. However, on the Daedalus they only spark when the shields are almost depleted.

Personally I prefer the Daedalus' usage of sparks as it makes more sense and lends a little more gravitas to those times when the bridge is sparking.

Off topic: Was watching Beachhead last night and when the Ori Supergate element collides with the Prometheus it hits the nose of the ship. However, Marks reports a hull breach on the hangar deck. Is it possible this was before they decided to move the hangar decks to the outboard nacelles? Could this be an indication of where the hangar deck was before they moved it?

Iirc, in Prometheus, Teal'c and Jack board the ship through the lower hangar bay (Davis' words) which, judging by their approach angle, is at the back of the nose, below where it connects to the neck.

Comment

Because they don't use fuses in high tech systems!

Comment

Originally posted by placid View Post
                  Why do they always put the highly sensitive and slightly explosive equipment all around the bridge? As soon as the shield takes a hit, the place lights up like Chinese fireworks and smoke starts pouring out... and yet systems seem to continue to operate, despite the apparent internal destruction. Ostensibly, if the shield took a hit and nada happened in the bridge, the viewer would beleft in question ove rthe effectivity of the weapon firing on the ship, but sometimes the explosions and smoke look REALLY corny.
                  It's called the prime tine directive
                  The drums, the drums, the never ending drumbeat! Open me you human fool! Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty!

Comment

Has anyone else noticed that when they hook the ZedPM up on the daedalus they use tiny like power cables that look like they would struggle with a the power from a battery?
                    "Dying doesn't work in our favour!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nylon View Post
                      Has anyone else noticed that when they hook the ZedPM up on the daedalus they use tiny like power cables that look like they would struggle with a the power from a battery?
                      Yeah I noticed. Personally I was hoping for some sort of socket that came out of the wall that the ZPM would be plugged into and then recede back into the wall, that would've looked better.
                      If you can believe that a big ring is capable of sending matter through a wormhole to other planets, then it ain't the most far-fetched part of the show

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                        but yet when a ZPM is plugged in, we see no sparks whatsoever

maybe if they didn't make the ships so overgadgeted it wouldn't be a problem

it's funny that on Goauld/Ancient/Ori/Asgard ships, all you get is few consoles and some control crystals
                        but on Earth ships, you get so many gadgets hanging all over the walls with no apparent use whatsoever other than to provide extras all over the ships with something to play with instead of staring at the window
                        but should the situation call for it, we find out the ships can easily be operated by two individuals
                        Watch 'Unending' & you'll see that's not true!

The only real reason I can see the bridge always getting it is for dramatic effect. When they say breach on deck ??, or hull damage in section ??, then you don't really take it in. The problem with this is they would need to add to the 304 set by building an extension of the new area that's to be targeted. This costs time & money to do, as well as hire crew to be in the area.

So since they have all the big guns on the bridge already, then they throw in the 'sparklers' to the background in any battle. A little unrealistic for it to happen each & every time they get in a firefight but what can you do!

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                          Yeah I noticed. Personally I was hoping for some sort of socket that came out of the wall that the ZPM would be plugged into and then recede back into the wall, that would've looked better.
                          If you can believe that a big ring is capable of sending matter through a wormhole to other planets, then it ain't the most far-fetched part of the show
                          Yes, the concept of the show is very far fetched so this could be seen as nitpicking. Then again I like it when those involved with creating a show try to stay true to the "scientific principles" - it can even be something as simple as the Star Trek "Heisenberg compensator" where the writers admit that quantum mechanics would make teleportation impossible. (Well they use a gadget to supposedly make it possible, while admitting the scientific flaws)

Of course we all have to sometimes take a step back and admit: "Hey, iot's only TV"
                          The drums, the drums, the never ending drumbeat! Open me you human fool! Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty!

Comment

With all of the explosions on the bridge anyone would think that the SGC has watched too many episode of Wormhole Xtreme tehehehehe

Comment

Originally posted by Jyral Nadreth View Post
                              With all of the explosions on the bridge anyone would think that the SGC has watched too many episode of Wormhole Xtreme tehehehehe
                              LOL
                              considering the amount of sparks on the Daedalus, they'd need a flame thrower for Wormhole Xtreme

Comment

Working...
                              X