This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to cry if I hear LASERS one mre time! #Spoilers for later seasons

Is anyone getting seriously annoyed with people insisting the weapons used by the Odysessy, Ori and Asurans are lasers?

We have never seen a laser weapon in stargate! And most probably never will! Lasers travel at the speed of light anyone can see that the beam weapons observed in stargate travel far slower than the speed of light therefore they are not lasers!

Sorry had to get that off my chest...
    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Martin G said in a recent interview with gateworld...

"I mean, look -- what it comes down to for a lot of fans is lasers! Really, let's be real about this. Everybody thought, "Wow! The Odyssey finally has laser weapons. Cool! Are all the ships going to have laser weapons?" Eventually yeah, we're going to move that technology into the other Earth ships."

There, laser weapons.
    These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Let me add something that might just help- if Stargate had ships with laser's then Star Trek would kick the ten bell's of %&*$ out of Gate-we don't want that do we!!!!!!!

The Asurans weapons if anything look more like NX-01 Enterprises phase cannons in appearance. Another thing is lasers would only heat up the surface of an asteroid rather than pierce like in SGA S4 First Strike. They appear to me to be an advanced particle/energy weapon which = lasers my ****

Comment

only lasers on stargate are on top of a P-90..so there...
        Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
        Check out my Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Matarrese View Post
          only lasers on stargate are on top of a P-90..so there...
          And on those missiles that SGC fired through the gates-remember the Jaffa staring at the staff cannon with the greenish dot-but yeah-here here!!!!

Comment

So is the correct term Pulsed Energy Weapon?
            Vote Anubis for President in 2012
            A Face you Can Trust
            sigpic
            So whats the worst that could happen?
            Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
            It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Well the incorrect term is lasers. they are no more lasers than a sword is a lightsabre.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Buba, on the specs for the promethius in the official illustrated guide for SG1, promethius had lasers, which as you rightly point out, is why we never saw any fire, because they were firing at the speed of light...
                Most of the laser weapons are beam weapons, and a beam differs from a laser how my friend? A Beam is made of light, and light is energy. An energy beam is a laser. A pulse energy beam, a beam weapon..theyre the same thing as a laser. Each of the beams are travelling at the speed of light and we can see them because the beam of light is refracting of particle in space or the atmosphere, it might not appear to be travelling at the speed of light but it is. I know you are going nut about this and im not the enemy but there is alot of evidence to surgest that alot of the weapons used recently have been lasers or types of lasers produced by different technologies. Plasma is coloured by the material it is made up of or the state that its in like goauld weaposn is heated plasma, Asgard weapons are some kind of Ion weapon just like the Tollans had.
                The Ori beam that destroyed the prommie, the asurian satagate weapon and the Oddesey weapons are types of laser produced through different technologies, Lasers are different colours depending on what they are moving thorugh or produced from or consisting of. for example, carbon dioxide lasers are red, a laser filtered to produce ony visible light will be purple.
                Theres no getting away from the fact that lasers should and will travel at the speed of light, but that doesnt mean we havent been using and seeing lasers. the asurian beam is a classic laser, ill accept that the others may not be, but that was a laser and that was travelling at the speed of light, if it was just a beam or just a single drawn out shot it would have been shown it flickering or moving when the satalite moved. but for the entire time that satalite was firing the beam was totally stright and met no resistance unti lthe asteriod. We know even lasers take time to cut rock, less time and manual methods which is why we use them, but that asteroid got cut with a laser.
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                Stargate : Genesis |
                Original Starship DesignThread
                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                11000! green me

Comment

The difference between a laser and a particle weapon is that a laser uses excited photons and a particle weapon uses particles travelling along a beam (for a particle cannon).

Comment

But the word "laser" is so distasteful.
                    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                      Is anyone getting seriously annoyed with people insisting the weapons used by the Odysessy, Ori and Asurans are lasers?

We have never seen a laser weapon in stargate! And most probably never will! Lasers travel at the speed of light anyone can see that the beam weapons observed in stargate travel far slower than the speed of light therefore they are not lasers!

Sorry had to get that off my chest...

Originally posted by titan_hq View Post
                      {Mod snip} 'Laser' weapons in sci-fi aren't lasers, they are either particle beams which are beams of charged atoms which travel at nearly the speed of light. or plasma weapons. plasma is highly ionized gas, which can be all pretty colors. lasers are beams of radiation. the only way they can cause damage is by super-heating the laser and it would then 'melt' through the target. that would not be quick or practical. and couldn't be seen by the naked eye. Lasers can also be refracted very easily by particles and so would be easy to defend against. just throw some dust out the window and bam, the lasers gone. lol.
                      This is what i posted about 'lasers' and sci-fi weapons not long ago.

Edi: i just realised. "bam, the lasers gone" sounds like that cillit bang advert on tv.... imagine, new cillit bang, BANG and the lasers are gone...lol. I need to get out more
                      Last edited by titan_hq; 22 July 2007, 12:36 PM. Reason: i felt like it
                      Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                        Martin G said in a recent interview with gateworld...

"I mean, look -- what it comes down to for a lot of fans is lasers! Really, let's be real about this. Everybody thought, "Wow! The Odyssey finally has laser weapons. Cool! Are all the ships going to have laser weapons?" Eventually yeah, we're going to move that technology into the other Earth ships."

There, laser weapons.
                        He was talking metaphorically seeing as the general lamens term for energy weapon is 'laser' the way the weapon behaves proves it's not a laser.

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                        Buba, on the specs for the promethius in the official illustrated guide for SG1, promethius had lasers, which as you rightly point out, is why we never saw any fire, because they were firing at the speed of light...
                        Erm they never had lasers it was never mentioned or seen, therefore no lasers.

Most of the laser weapons are beam weapons, and a beam differs from a laser how my friend? A Beam is made of light, and light is energy. An energy beam is a laser. A pulse energy beam, a beam weapon..theyre the same thing as a laser. Each of the beams are travelling at the speed of light and we can see them because the beam of light is refracting of particle in space or the atmosphere, it might not appear to be travelling at the speed of light but it is. I know you are going nut about this and im not the enemy but there is alot of evidence to surgest that alot of the weapons used recently have been lasers or types of lasers produced by different technologies. Plasma is coloured by the material it is made up of or the state that its in like goauld weaposn is heated plasma, Asgard weapons are some kind of Ion weapon just like the Tollans had.
                        No they're not! A laser beam is completely different to an Ion canon or a Plasma weapon or a particle beam they behave in completely different ways.
                        Mate you're my friend and i'm trying not to flame you but the weapons are clearly not lasers. We can see the beam moving towards it's target at pretty slow speeds it's impossible for it to be a laser. Laser beams are made up of light no reason to suggest that these other weapons are also light.

The Ori beam that destroyed the prommie, the asurian satagate weapon and the Oddesey weapons are types of laser produced through different technologies, Lasers are different colours depending on what they are moving thorugh or produced from or consisting of. for example, carbon dioxide lasers are red, a laser filtered to produce ony visible light will be purple.
                        They don't behave like lasers so there is no evidence to suggest they are lasers of any kind. All the beam weapons we've seen deal a great deal of kinetic energy to their targets lasers don't they heat up the target. In other words we wouldn't see Ha'taks being blown apart with the beam still going in the case of the Ori unless the Ha'tak is made of butter.

Theres no getting away from the fact that lasers should and will travel at the speed of light, but that doesnt mean we havent been using and seeing lasers. the asurian beam is a classic laser, ill accept that the others may not be, but that was a laser and that was travelling at the speed of light, if it was just a beam or just a single drawn out shot it would have been shown it flickering or moving when the satalite moved. but for the entire time that satalite was firing the beam was totally stright and met no resistance unti lthe asteriod. We know even lasers take time to cut rock, less time and manual methods which is why we use them, but that asteroid got cut with a laser.
                        None of the recently seen weapons traveled at the speed of light. Just because the Asuran beam was red doesn't mean it was a laser and there's no way a laser could do so much damage to Atlantis's shield.

The Asuran weapon grazed the spire of Atlantis if the weapon was a laser the heat would have vapourised the entire tower in an instant such would the power of a laser able to drain atlantis's shield be.
                        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
                          So is the correct term Pulsed Energy Weapon?
                          pretty sure that's what it is...we haven't heard any evidence of it being plasma-based either, so that's about the most accurate we can get it
                          Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                          Check out my Flickr

Comment

Lasers rock. All Tau'ri ships should be equipped with laser cannons and laser guns. It's not important if they are effective, laser are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Matarrese View Post
                              pretty sure that's what it is...we haven't heard any evidence of it being plasma-based either, so that's about the most accurate we can get it
                              Yeah, the only one mentioned to be plasma was either the jaffa staff or the kull warrior's arm cannon when they were talking about a ceramic insert for the vests of Tauri field soldiers.

Comment

Working...
                              X