This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient Organic Filter Error

Why would the Ancients use filters to allow anything but humanoids through? The gateway in "Epiphany" allowed any organic, and inorganic matter to pass through in either direction, but humans weren't allowed to exit. And Anubis' device allowed anything except for living matter to enter his laboratory planet, but why?

If Earth or any other race had a more advanced MALP, they could've easily gotten into his lab and downloaded the database, and/or sent a WMD to blow it up. Same thing with the "Epiphany" gateway. The Wraith could've sent in some kind of WMD to blow it up.

Thoughts?
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
    Why would the Ancients use filters to allow anything but humanoids through? The gateway in "Epiphany" allowed any organic, and inorganic matter to pass through in either direction, but humans weren't allowed to exit. And Anubis' device allowed anything except for living matter to enter his laboratory planet, but why?

If Earth or any other race had a more advanced MALP, they could've easily gotten into his lab and downloaded the database, and/or sent a WMD to blow it up. Same thing with the "Epiphany" gateway. The Wraith could've sent in some kind of WMD to blow it up.

Thoughts?
    The ancient woman, to whom Sheppard had a relationship, had an ability to forsee the future, therefore, the ancients could have disarmed the wraith WMD before it could destroy the place. And during generations after generations there must've been people with similar abilities too.

But good catch anyway.

Comment

Inorganic matter couldn't pass though, Shepherd fired his side arm at the gateway and it ricocheted off and almost hit his foot.
      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
        Inorganic matter couldn't pass though, Shepherd fired his side arm at the gateway and it ricocheted off and almost hit his foot.
        Video Cameras are living, eh? Can't explain the bullets though....
        sigpic
        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
        ~David Hewlett

Comment

the camera wasn't completely accross the barrier, i think it was waiting for the rest of the "traveler" to finish it way through.

Comment

i agree, otherwise clothing wouldn't ppear on the other side either
            sigpic
            Thanks to Amaunet for the sig!!!
            My First Gateworld News Item!

Comment

Or maybe it just stops weapons - like the Tollan things did. The one O'Neill 'stole'.

Comment

I doubt the Ancients considered "primitive projectile weapons propelled by a mixture of potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulphur" as weapons. The only error I can see with "camera isn't all the way through" is that Shep was pulled through and couldn't be pulled back. However, we know that the Ancients can build energy fields with selective transport (the Stargates) so if a human were to partially cross the field could think "hmm, human coming across...he's tryin to resist...pull him on over," While if a MALP on a stick were poked in it could think "hmm, weird thing comin over, ah, I don't give a crap about it it can do whatever the heck it wants."
                When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                Zatnikitelman

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
                  I doubt the Ancients considered "primitive projectile weapons propelled by a mixture of potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulphur" as weapons.
                  That's not what the gateway blocked. The gateway blocked a metallic object travelling at around 2,000 feet per second.

Comment

Maybe it could filter out plotholes as well?
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
                      I doubt the Ancients considered "primitive projectile weapons propelled by a mixture of potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulphur" as weapons. The only error I can see with "camera isn't all the way through" is that Shep was pulled through and couldn't be pulled back. However, we know that the Ancients can build energy fields with selective transport (the Stargates) so if a human were to partially cross the field could think "hmm, human coming across...he's tryin to resist...pull him on over," While if a MALP on a stick were poked in it could think "hmm, weird thing comin over, ah, I don't give a crap about it it can do whatever the heck it wants."
                      Why wouldn't they, just because they dont use them and see them as crude doesn't mean they dont know the damage metal moving at that speed would do to flesh and organs.

Comment

Maybe it deflected the bullets because they werent connect to a person. We know that the Ancients have very sophisticated sensor systems (Avalon part 1). So maybe it can sense if the thing is connected to a person like clothes or if it isnt, like bullets
                        Company of Thieves

Daniel: You might want to prepare to return fire.

Marks: For the record, Im always prepared. I just have to push this button.

Comment

There is probably a sensor out side of the field that detects when a sentient life form comes in contact with it and once it touches its no return. On the inside the ascended opened the portal so they could get out, i remember shepherd pounding on the solid gate way like a brick wall before he decided to head out.

Comment

Working...
                          X