Clear All

SG1/SGA - TV Guide Online: Ask Matt - July 9th

From TV Guide Online:

http://www.tvguide.com/Ask-Matt/stargate-sg-1/070709-09

ASK MATT

Matt Roush

Monday, July 9, 2007

Roush on Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Farscape

Question: I've been a fan of Stargate SG-1 since the beginning, but I felt that the last two seasons were rather redundant (the natural end to the story occurred when the Gou'ald were defeated). The finale of Season 8 was a fitting end to the show in comparison to "Unending," the series finale. "Unending "didn't seem to conclude the series; there were no great character developments, and there were an awful lot of ponderous moments. Stargate: Atlantis should have taken over after SG-1's Season 8. Perhaps the declining ratings indicated this. What do you think of the entire show now that it has been concluded?

— Chris

Matt Roush: This was never a show I watched with any particular regularity. I usually caught it at the start and end of the season when screeners were sent out, and I made a special point of checking in when my Farscape buddies Ben Browder and Claudia Black came aboard. I loved the fact that even when entire universes were at stake, the show never took itself that seriously. But the show never drew me in to the point where I was compelled to watch week after week, season after season. I was always and still remain an amateur when it comes to Stargate theorizing, so I won't argue your point, except to say it felt to me that the show might have been better off bowing out earlier. (But then, I tend to feel that way about many shows.) Your point about the defeat of the Gou'ald being a natural end point makes sense to me, but I'm sure others would argue with you. This being a science-fiction/fantasy show, that comes with the territory. I will happily remain neutral and just say, "Nice run, guys. Have fun in Atlantis." And finally, if the show didn't feel like it was wrapping things up to your satisfaction, that's probably because the producers are making some straight-to-DVD movie sequels. Stargate SG-1 isn't dead quite yet.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter
Working...
X