Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inheritance Trilogy Discussion/Appreciation (Books and movies)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inheritance Trilogy Discussion/Appreciation (Books and movies)

I looked everywhere and I didn't find a thread for Eragon, the book and movie. This is where anyone who's a fan of The Inheritance Trilogy and Eragon Movie.

Has anyone heard anything about them doing Eldest as a movie? Or did Eragon not make enough money? It always comes down to that these days, it seems like.

If anyone's interested in the swords from the movie, or just like fantasy swords, there's a site: www.eragonswords.com. I'm actually thinking about getting "Eragons Sword".

I loved the books!

To be honest, I thought the books were absolutely horribly written - it was literally a 12-year-old's cliched fanfic, in print. But that being said, oh, lordy, they were entertaining! Kept me hooked!

I didn't like the movie as much - I felt like they left out too many key points from the books, without which Eldest wouldn't make much sense. I really don't see them making an Eldest movie, unfortunately, since the first one flopped so badly. I can't decide whether I'm disappointed or relieved...
    "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
    My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

I haven't read Eldest yet. I only just started obsessing about the books after I watched the movie a few days ago.

I love the book better than the film, though. It sucks how they had to condense Eragon. But, it is a movie with so much time. Unlike the books, where they can be as long as the auther likes.

Comment

I only read the books this past winter, so you're not too far behind me. You'll see what I mean about Eldest, though, when you read it. Stuff that was left out of Eragon-the-movie becomes important in Eldest.

I definitely liked Eragon better than Eldest, though - Eldest bored me at times.

Comment

I'm almost finished with Eragon. I have like 60 pages left. I'm gonna wait till after I read (and recover from) Deathly Hallows before I go on with Eldest.

Comment

The books have beautiful cover art, and the maps are really pretty.

But my are they dreadfully written, I mean, the plot is stolen straight from Star Wars point to point, in both Eragon (A New Hope) and Eldest (Empire Strikes Back)- and that doesn't even touch upon the mechanics of his writing.....the inconsistancies (a VEGETARIAN elf wearing leather? That one practically made me scream.), the terrible descriptive passages, highly questionable word choices, miserable characterization (and when he does come up with a good character, he wastes it), the fact that Eragon is nausiatingly PERFECT and can do no wrong, etc (and if he does it's glossed over). That being said.....I somehow ended up reading both and was rather entertained. And I'll probably buy the third, even though I know I really shouldn't, what can I say, I'm a completest, and I've got the first two. Paolini is dangerously close to plagerism though. But I do get why people like them. They work as shut-your-brain-down reading, and that can sometimes be good.

But I absolutely refuse to see the movie, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post

But my are they dreadfully written, I mean, the plot is stolen straight from Star Wars point to point, in both Eragon (A New Hope) and Eldest (Empire Strikes Back)- and that doesn't even touch upon the mechanics of his writing.....the inconsistancies (a VEGETARIAN elf wearing leather? That one practically made me scream.), the terrible descriptive passages, highly questionable word choices, miserable characterization (and when he does come up with a good character, he wastes it), the fact that Eragon is nausiatingly PERFECT and can do no wrong, etc (and if he does it's glossed over). That being said.....I somehow ended up reading both and was rather entertained. And I'll probably buy the third, even though I know I really shouldn't, what can I say, I'm a completest, and I've got the first two. Paolini is dangerously close to plagerism though. But I do get why people like them. They work as shut-your-brain-down reading, and that can sometimes be good.

Although there are simularities between Inheritance and Star Wars, you need to keep in mind that fantasy story lines and plots aren't very original these days because they have all been done. That's why we're seeing more and more books being into movies. No one has an original plot idea anymore. Yopu also need to take into consideration how old Paolini was when he started writting. He was 15 when he started all this. He is NOT JK Rowling. That's sometiing I keep reminding myself as I read sometimes.

Comment

I'm like you - I thought they were horribly written for the exact same reasons. The plots following EXACTLY the Star Wars films, plot-point-for-plot-point, drove me nuts. I can understand the general similarities between sci-fi novels to a point... but when you can sit there and go, "oh, this was when Luke's aunt and uncle died," or "oh, this guy is Yoda, and Eragon is being whiny and bratty just like Luke" throughout the entire book, it's gone too far. Not to mention the extreme similarities to Lord of the Rings, and the entire Dragon Rider concept stripped right out of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern books - right down to the name! I think the similarities to other scifi went WAY too far to be considered coincidental.

Yeah, he's twelve, and if this was a fanfic, I'd understand that. But when you're being internationally published? You'd better not be writing like a 12 year old.

You're not missing much with the movie. At all. The good points:
                Seeing Saphira done in CG
                Rachel Weisz
                Jeremy Irons
                ...yeah, that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten View Post

Yeah, he's twelve, and if this was a fanfic, I'd understand that. But when you're being internationally published? You'd better not be writing like a 12 year old.
                  Blame the publishers than. It must be good to them. And it's their job to judge what's good and whats not. But, then the publishers must be Star Wars fans.

]You're not missing much with the movie. At all. The good points:
                  Seeing Saphira done in CG
                  Rachel Weisz
                  Jeremy Irons
                  ...yeah, that's it.
                  Yeah, that's basically keeping me from returning the DVD. ILM is just awesome. Weisz is the perfect voice for Saphira. And Jeremy, I mean, really. Do I need to say how cool he is.

Comment

Saw the movie and didn't mind it.

Might read the books one day...
                    Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
                      Saw the movie and didn't mind it.

Might read the books one day...
                      I finally gave in and read the first book. It was better then the movie. I'm like you: I didn't mind the movie much, myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacemonkey_Jackson View Post
                        Although there are simularities between Inheritance and Star Wars, you need to keep in mind that fantasy story lines and plots aren't very original these days because they have all been done. That's why we're seeing more and more books being into movies. No one has an original plot idea anymore. Yopu also need to take into consideration how old Paolini was when he started writting. He was 15 when he started all this. He is NOT JK Rowling. That's sometiing I keep reminding myself as I read sometimes.
                        Ah, J.K. Rowling is not a perfect writer- but she HAS learned from her "mistakes" very well, she had huge issues with over-using adverbs in the first three books (which she has certainly remedied in the last three). Which in itself isn't bad writing, because it still delivers, it just gets a little annoying. She basically made the same mistakes that every first time author does. What she has been from the start, is a brilliant storyteller. Which Just about throws those errors out the window, because that's what counts. She is a fantastic storyteller, Paolini isn't yet. That's what it comes down to.

I think Paolini could have a been a good writer. But he was published too early, which I think could do more damage than good for chances at ever becoming a good writer. Simple as that. Random House wanted to capitalize upon the success of Harry Potter, and the fact that after reading it many kids wnat to be writers as well. It's the story of someone at their peer level making that leap that they love as much as the books themselves- because it gives them hope that they can be published too. And that's why whoever it is at Random House that decided to publish this is brilliant, from a business perspective. Because it's exactly what kids and young teens (and even adults) want.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacemonkey_Jackson View Post
                          Blame the publishers than. It must be good to them. And it's their job to judge what's good and whats not. But, then the publishers must be Star Wars fans.
                          Well, it's their job to decide what will make money, at least... the "good" part is often questionable.

Yeah, that's basically keeping me from returning the DVD. ILM is just awesome. Weisz is the perfect voice for Saphira. And Jeremy, I mean, really. Do I need to say how cool he is.
                          Saphira was gorgeous. I'm such a sucker for dragons in films, and I've loved Rachel Weisz for years, so it worked out perfectly. And yes, Jeremy is always just plain Made of Awesome.

Comment

Ah, J.K. Rowling is not a perfect writer- but she HAS learned from her "mistakes" very well, she had huge issues with over-using adverbs in the first three books (which she has certainly remedied in the last three). Which in itself isn't bad writing, because it still delivers, it just gets a little annoying. She basically made the same mistakes that every first time author does. What she has been from the start, is a brilliant storyteller. Which Just about throws those errors out the window, because that's what counts. She is a fantastic storyteller, Paolini isn't yet. That's what it comes down to.

I think Paolini could have a been a good writer. But he was published too early, which I think could do more damage than good for chances at ever becoming a good writer. Simple as that. Random House wanted to capitalize upon the success of Harry Potter, and the fact that after reading it many kids wnat to be writers as well. It's the story of someone at their peer level making that leap that they love as much as the books themselves- because it gives them hope that they can be published too. And that's why whoever it is at Random House that decided to publish this is brilliant, from a business perspective. Because it's exactly what kids and young teens (and even adults) want.
                            Harry Potter is what made me a writter. I am working on a fantasy novel myself. I'm not ready to get the thing published yet. It's just not ready. There are kinks that need to be workind out for sure. Even with 5 years of developement, it's not ready to be published. Paolini definatly needed more time with Inheritance before having Random House publish it. But, that's just me . . .

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten View Post
                              Saphira was gorgeous. I'm such a sucker for dragons in films, and I've loved Rachel Weisz for years, so it worked out perfectly. And yes, Jeremy is always just plain Made of Awesome.
                              That's it. I'm making a Jeremy icon that says Made of Awesome . . .

ETA: I made it. i just can't post it right now. PB is being a pain.

ETA2: Here it be:
                              Last edited by Spacemonkey_Jackson; 18 July 2007, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X