X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point of Origin flaws/question

Now, I may be wrong about this, but here it goes anyway:

If each planet has its own unique Point of Origin, then why does Earth's POO show up on just about every Gate and DHD? Yes, I understand the producers probably tried to save on props, but then again maybe its a flaw. I know that some planets POO's are just regular Gate symbols, but if POO's cannot be used for more that 2 gates, than that only leaves 39 possibilities. After that, unique symbols must be used like with Earth, Abydos, the Secondary Gate, and countless others.

No, I'm not an expert on Stargate Physics like some other Stargate geeks, but I have watched all the episodes and was curious.

CAREFUL! Your standing right next to a plothole!
    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Ive always seen it as the POO is also address symbol. ie, the point in space is our solar system.

Comment

Apparently, there are the 38 fixed symbols on each Gate/DHD, and then the one unique POO. But some Gates use one of the fixed symbols as POO's, presumably leaving a 'hole' where the unique should be. This also states that DHD's and Gates cannot be mixed and matched (unless you were to tamper with the DHD's programming).

Also, the POO's don't refer to the Gate itself but the Gate's position in space. Which brings up yet another flaw. Moving a Gate would mean reconfiguring the POO and then what? Taking a picture of the new POO and taping it over the old one?

Comment

In the Stargate SG-1 Official Visual Guide or whatever it was called, it explained that every Stargate has on its inner track a unique point-of-origin symbol. That symbol, however, is not on the DHD. Every DHD has the same symbol not found on the Stargate. It's a universal point-of-origin button. Otherwise, they'd have to figure out the point-of-origin symbol for every planet they'd visit in order to leave.

So basically, when dialing an address to leave a world and you get to the final symbol, you don't look for the actual point-of-origin symbol on the DHD that is present on the gate itself... you find the familiar universal "hit this button for the last chevron to lock on the point-of-origin" symbol and that's that.

But yeah, as far as all of the gates having the Earth point-of-origin symbol on it... that's just a prop issue, and is probably best ignored lol.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Originally posted by TheInnkeeper View Post
            In the Stargate SG-1 Official Visual Guide or whatever it was called, it explained that every Stargate has on its inner track a unique point-of-origin symbol. That symbol, however, is not on the DHD. Every DHD has the same symbol not found on the Stargate. It's a universal point-of-origin button. Otherwise, they'd have to figure out the point-of-origin symbol for every planet they'd visit in order to leave.

So basically, when dialing an address to leave a world and you get to the final symbol, you don't look for the actual point-of-origin symbol on the DHD that is present on the gate itself... you find the familiar universal "hit this button for the last chevron to lock on the point-of-origin" symbol and that's that.

But yeah, as far as all of the gates having the Earth point-of-origin symbol on it... that's just a prop issue, and is probably best ignored lol.
            Right. And when they DO push buttons other than the Earth one, it's just a canonical error, I think. Just ignore it I guess.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Gan View Post
              Also, the POO's don't refer to the Gate itself but the Gate's position in space. Which brings up yet another flaw. Moving a Gate would mean reconfiguring the POO and then what? Taking a picture of the new POO and taping it over the old one?
              The symbol would stay the same, it would just refer to a different point in space.
              "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

0h n03s! it's a pl0th0le!!!!11!!!one.

I think it's simply a prop issue and is better left ignored. Remember, this is simply leftover backstory from the movie where the only gate besides ours was the Abydos one (presumably).
                Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                Check out my Flickr

Comment

Right, but just so we're clear, there isn't a plothole with the DHD. Just with the PoO symbol on the Gate.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Earth is a very old Ancient location (possibly the first planet the Alterans visisted in the MW), so its POO may have both symbolic meaning for Earth and usage as a pointer in space navigation

Gate symbols are based on star constellations, it's entirely possible that triangular symbol is very useful in star mapping, so why not re-use it ?

Comment

actually the original ancient earth POO wasnt the one we know and love but it was a horizontal line with a circle above it.

in fact i always wondered why, when we get the antarctic gate it doesn't still have that POO, but has been magically replaced by the traditional one!!
                      Spoiler:
                      Disclaimer:
                      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                      Quotes!
                      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheInnkeeper
                        Right, but just so we're clear, there isn't a plothole with the DHD. Just with the PoO symbol on the Gate.
                        Ah, no. There's a plot hole on the DHD as well.

The DHD has 38 symbols, the Stargate has 39. Since we know the point of origin is definately located on the DHD, then there is a missing symbol. It turns out the missing symbol is Aquila (AKA, the symbol that looks like a square root).

Originally posted by YodaMate View Post
                        Earth is a very old Ancient location (possibly the first planet the Alterans visisted in the MW), so its POO may have both symbolic meaning for Earth and usage as a pointer in space navigation
                        Apparently somebody forgot that the symbol shown on the Stargate, SG-1 patches, and the Stargate logo wasn't the original point of origin for Earth. Check Solitudes for details.

Originally posted by YodaMate View Post
                        Gate symbols are based on star constellations, it's entirely possible that triangular symbol is very useful in star mapping, so why not re-use it ?
                        Gate addresses are not based on constellations. A constellation is a 2 dimensional representation of a 3 dimensional object. If you leave Earth, constellations no longer make any sense. Not only that, but pretty much every star that is in all the constellations are within 1500 light years from Earth.
                        This is why fans of SG-1 thought that the ancients originated on Earth prior to season 9 (it would explain why all the gates use symbols representing constellations from an Earth-bound perspective).

Gate symbols, according to the series, represent 6 sides of an imaginary cube, and the space inside the cube should represent the point of origin volume.

If you watch the episode Evolution Pt. I, they actually show how the gate symbols work in this cube configuration:

As you can see, this diagram allows us to figure out which symbol represents which part of the cube. If you were inside the cube:

1st symbol = Left
                        2nd symbol = Up
                        3rd symbol = Forward
                        4th symbol = Right
                        5th symbol = Down
                        6th symbol = Backwards

See, if constellations were really the basis for the Stargate symbols, you wouldn't be able to see the up, down, left, or right symbols, and the forwards/backwards symbols would be merged into a single constellation.

Another thing to note is that the picture above shows the point of origin for that address, which is a symbol on the Stargate. This is a plot hole due to the fact that all gates have 38 universal symbols and one unique symbol designated as the point of origin for that location. If you can use the universal symbols as points of origin, then what is in the 39th symbol slot? Is it a duplicate symbol, or is it blank?

I actually worked on building a coordinate system in Sketchup based on the information from that screen shot, but unfortunately there are no outside references to determine which way the forward face of the cube is pointing in relation to our galaxy: In other words, I would have had to draw about 2 million cubes in order to figure out where this particular address fit in the big picture. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of time to burn.
                        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

i also remember seeing something that said the Earth POO was a pyramid with a rising sun over it. This was also probably left over from the movie where everything was based on ancient egypt. The ancients weren't even though of at that point, so it was simple enough to assume that the Goa'uld were responsible for having built the gates. It's just legacy backstory...

Point is that the point of origin is never going to make 100 percent sense because it came from a time when there wasn't a whole story to how the gates came to be or how exactly they worked. it's all just one big ass plothole
                          Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                          Check out my Flickr

Comment

There may be a reason for having Earth so many times. The Ancients built the gates-Earth was one of their main worlds=Stands to reason that it is diallable nearly everwhere in the milky way

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Gan View Post
                              Now, I may be wrong about this, but here it goes anyway:

If each planet has its own unique Point of Origin, then why does Earth's POO show up on just about every Gate and DHD? Yes, I understand the producers probably tried to save on props, but then again maybe its a flaw. I know that some planets POO's are just regular Gate symbols, but if POO's cannot be used for more that 2 gates, than that only leaves 39 possibilities. After that, unique symbols must be used like with Earth, Abydos, the Secondary Gate, and countless others.

No, I'm not an expert on Stargate Physics like some other Stargate geeks, but I have watched all the episodes and was curious.
                              For the same reason that the planets should all have different sets of symbols (remember the movie that started it all - the symbols on the gate are different, or some line to that end)

First there is a time constraint (for both deciphering the new gate markings (sorry for answering my own question) and looking for a new PoO (point of origin, I've just realised that doesn't look good) - that took an entire movie

The reason why the Earth symbol appears on all DHDs - Making new DHD symbols for each episode would probably add to production costs. They were already pretty high from what I've heard

Originally posted by Jarnin
                              1st symbol = Left
                              2nd symbol = Up
                              3rd symbol = Forward
                              4th symbol = Right
                              5th symbol = Down
                              6th symbol = Backwards
                              So you mean that each pair of symbols delineates the x,y,z axes? (I remember a scene in the movie where Daniel draws an illustration, showing pretty much that (I think I've seen that movie a few, well okay, more than a few, too many times :-( ))
                              Last edited by the_dark_light; 24 July 2007, 05:30 AM.
                              The drums, the drums, the never ending drumbeat! Open me you human fool! Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty!

Comment

Working...
                              X