This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shield Buffers?

Why didn't the Oddessey's shields slowly recharge when they were in time dilation, after the first couple years at most they should have recharged.
    http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9...sigcopy9ie.jpg
    The Alliance is born!!!!

well the time dialation feild was taking up all th energy for one thing

Comment

Can't power shields and time dilation fields. Even if they could they can't project things from inside the ship into space (the whole tidal forces of timechange). That's why they couldn't just beam down to the planet.

This is all explained in the Atlantis ep. "Epiphany."
      sigpic
      "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
      ~David Hewlett

Comment

No it was not, they had lights, life support, beaming tech, ect. They should have had time to recharge their shields enough so that they would have been able to survive one hit, drop out of hyperspace quick fix the hyperdrive problem, and escape.

Shields work on a buffer, so why not send all excess power into the buffer?
        http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9...sigcopy9ie.jpg
        The Alliance is born!!!!

Comment

I believe the time dilation field only worked inside the ship, and the shields are outside the ship. So even if the shield buffer recharged there wouldn't have been enough time for the shields to get that extra energy.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
            I believe the time dilation field only worked inside the ship, and the shields are outside the ship. So even if the shield buffer recharged there wouldn't have been enough time for the shields to get that extra energy.
            Yea, they may have been able to recharge the shields but would have no time to raise them.

Comment

No. The Time Dilation Device made a field surrounding the ship not just inside the ship or the Ori beam weapon would have not slowed down, it would have just kept coming and hit the ship and once it hit the ship then the beam weapon would have slowed down.

Comment

its probably like the cloak, you have to choose either that or the shield. Perhaps the same device is used to emit all three fields and only one can be used and made at a time.
                Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

In 'Unnatural Selection' we saw that it could be expanded to encompass a whole planet just. As well as in 'Epiphany'. If you have the technology available to you already, then much like that of a shield. It's only down to power requirements how far you're able to extend it outwards in a bubble like enviroment.

Technically it seems like the shield should have went back up, but they've probably done it the same as the whole cloak thing. We've never seen anything cloak & be able to have the shields up at the same time. So it's probably similar that when the time dilation field went up, the shields went down & couldn't be re-activated. Maybe they were able to charge over time, but by the time they dropped the field, there simply wasn't enough time to raise shields again before the blast hit. We know there was something like .86 secs before it hit, that wasn't enough time for them to beam out, so probably not enough time to get shields up either.

Comment

Originally posted by Amb. Shepphard(ARC) View Post
                    No. The Time Dilation Device made a field surrounding the ship not just inside the ship or the Ori beam weapon would have not slowed down, it would have just kept coming and hit the ship and once it hit the ship then the beam weapon would have slowed down.
                    The Ori beam weapon didn't slow down, time inside the ship just got really really fast compared to it.
                    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Excuse me, but as someone else said, I go the impression that the time dilation field started where the shields usually were, meaning that the beam already was within the shield radius, right?

Ok, we've seen shields be turned more tight, to espouse the form of the hull and bit more correctly, like in that episode where Vala hijacked the Prometheus.
                      When the death gliders attacked the Tau'ri ship, we could see that the shields were sort of hugging it, instead of forming that bubble (which would have prevented the death gliders from flying so close to it, to boot).
                      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                        Excuse me, but as someone else said, I go the impression that the time dilation field started where the shields usually were, meaning that the beam already was within the shield radius, right?

Ok, we've seen shields be turned more tight, to espouse the form of the hull and bit more correctly, like in that episode where Vala hijacked the Prometheus.
                        When the death gliders attacked the Tau'ri ship, we could see that the shields were sort of hugging it, instead of forming that bubble (which would have prevented the death gliders from flying so close to it, to boot).
                        but those where our gould (sp) and asgard hybrid shields

Comment

Originally posted by Xeon_1 View Post
                          but those where our gould (sp) and asgard hybrid shields
                          Sure, but who says that a shield must be an egg?

If Goa'uld can make shields adopt various forms, why not the Asgards?

For example, the Goa'uld made personnal cylinder like shields (hand device).

Jacob put a hull hugging shield on the gate they threw in Vorash's sun.

We've seen shields be flat, like the one used by Anubis to protect Tartarus.

The Lantians had that green personnal shield, which espoused the shape of the wearer.

I'm sure there's plenty of other examples.
                          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

There are other exampels

Orion shields that hug the hull
                            Altantis shield when it is on low power mode like in rising

But mayby the asgard never developed this kind of tech since they never realy where in a war or never could be touched that they didn't need to reduce there shield footprint to reduce the change of being hit

Comment

I think shields hug the ship when they are at minimal power or about to be depleted, that is what happened to Atlantis's shields when the ZPM was almost depleted. The Orion's shields were at minimal power and it hugged the hull.
                              Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Working...
                              X