This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super explosions and hyperspace boost

Noticed by wise one, there is a discrepancy between how two Goa'uld ships ended farther than planned, because the hyperspace windows they opened somehow managed to kick in and boost the speed at which they moved.
    This happened in Exodus, season 4's finale, as Jacob and Carter made Vorash' sun go nova, with a stargate connected to a wormhole, to destroy Apophis' fleet.

Yet, in SGA's episode Trinity (season 2), there's that moment when Daedalus covers McKay and Sheppard, as they escape the Arcturus lab in a puddle jumper. They fly through the stargate. Then Daedalus goes into hyperspace, just before 5/6 of the system gets destroyed.

Yet, the Daedalus didn't get hurtled billions of light years away.

Any suggestions?
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

More advanced hyperdrives?

Or maybe they got out before the explosion and didn't "Catch the tail end of the blast" as Jacob/Selmak put it.

Comment

Hm. Well we know that when in Hyperspace for one thing, your no longer in normal space, so something like a simple explosion in normal space shouldn't really effect you. Secondly, the explosion from Vorashs' sun was moving relatively slow compared to a ship in hyperspace, and it really shouldn't have been able to catch up to something moving several light years per hour.

The only conclusion I can come too is that there was some sort of subspace explosion of disturbance that travels MUCH faster than the actual Nova, and clearly is damn powerful. And yet, even when hit by this "disturbance", the ship is not damaged, but merely thrown 5 million light years. Thats one hell of a long way to be thrown!

I really don't understand at all why this didn't happen in Trinity, other than the fact that the Writers didnt' want it to. I mean if my theory holds water at all, you would think that the explosion from Trinity would have been a MUCH more powerful explosion both in real space AND in subspace, and would've thrown Daedalus millions of light years farther than the Ha'tak in Exodus. But it didn't. Again, the writers didn't want it to so it didn't happen. Only plausible explanation I can think of.
      www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

I'm guessing the ha'tak were hit before the hyperspace window fully closed, so they were propelled farther. The Daedalus was probably able to get away JUST fast enough.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

well the deadalus hyperdrive is alot faster than the hyperdrive from a ha´tak
          sigpic

Comment

I don't remember Trinity that well, but it might have something to do with the direction the ships were traveling. I think the Hataks were traveling straight out away from the blast, whereas the Daedalus may have been traveling perpendicular to the trinity blast, but like I said I don't remember. Barring that it's probably the hyperspace window not being closed thing.
            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
              Noticed by wise one, there is a discrepancy between how two Goa'uld ships ended farther than planned, because the hyperspace windows they opened somehow managed to kick in and boost the speed at which they moved.
              This happened in Exodus, season 4's finale, as Jacob and Carter made Vorash' sun go nova, with a stargate connected to a wormhole, to destroy Apophis' fleet.

Yet, in SGA's episode Trinity (season 2), there's that moment when Daedalus covers McKay and Sheppard, as they escape the Arcturus lab in a puddle jumper. They fly through the stargate. Then Daedalus goes into hyperspace, just before 5/6 of the system gets destroyed.

Any suggestions?

cor..... thanks, i just posted that comment a few hours ago, here some green!!!!!!!!!

anyway.... the hatak flew into hyperspace ages ago before the sun exploded yet during hyperspace they felt a sudden whatever you call it... yet in trinity they were staionary shielding the jumper from the blasts, and once they went through the gate, the deadalus went into hyperspace seconds before the planet went kill solar system...

strange in it.....i think its a flop from the powers that be...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post

Any suggestions?
                Best guess is that because they have much quicker hyperdrives than the Goa'uld, the 304 simply outran or in this case outjumped the blast wave by staying ahead of it.

Goa'uld were probably too slow, so got caught up in it, resulting in them getting blasted off to a far flung location.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                  Best guess is that because they have much quicker hyperdrives than the Goa'uld, the 304 simply outran or in this case outjumped the blast wave by staying ahead of it.

Goa'uld were probably too slow, so got caught up in it, resulting in them getting blasted off to a far flung location.
                  then they must of been slow since the hatak went into hyperspace ages ago even when the sun wasnt going to explode

i think sam said : we must get out of her before the sun explodes
                  (well thats the cheap version)
                  sigpic

Comment

Mm... the quicker hyperdrive thing doesn't explain the contradiction. Not when a hyperdrive makes a ship travel at 32,000c, and alerady left the Vorash system well before the nova ever reached the ship's latest position.

The more funny thing is how Apophis' supership, being hit by the same sort of wave of *som'thing*, yet departing clearly later, landed in the same spot of the uncharted region of space.

Gstone and me tride to adress this issue here.

There's an idea, in that an hyperspace path is predetermined, preestablished.

The hyperdrive generator produce x amunts of energy, ahead of what's necessary for the whole trip apparently (the whole F-302 on naqahdria affair).

This would suggest that a hyperspace route is actually created over a long distance, maybe over the whole planned distance.

This would explain how a ship that left normal space can still be caught up by a blast wave that reaches hyperspace entry point. Even if the window's closed since a while.

Eventually, that would mean that a ship can eventually know where another ship goes, through hyperspace.
                    That way, we can theorize that Apophis just checked where Jacob headed his ha'tak.

That, however, would fail to explain why this didn't happen with the Daedalus.

But remember Small Victories. We've seen the O'neill leave the asgard world, and on the schematic view, we saw it travel through its own hyperspace tube, only to be caught up by the three replicator controlled Biliskners.

That would possibly be return us to the point about the existence of a method to track ships in hyperspace.
                    Might be related to Unending in a way, but I can't see the connection.

As for the Daedalus not being boosted, there must be a reason. The blast was far more powerful than Vorash's supernova, and even faster.

Could it be related to hyperdrives? Were the ha'tak's hyperdrives boosted? If that so, considering how faster the ship flew, and looking at what happens when you try to push hyperdrives beyond their capacity, those of the goa'uld mothership should have exploded, literally.

One theory would be that what pushed Jacob's ship was Apophis' hyperspace route, which intersected theirs, and though Apophis' ship was still way behind, with the hyperspace tube created many light years ahead of the supership, the blast that kicked Apophis' ship also caught Jacob's ship.

Then, we would just have to assume that Apophis barely escaped, explaining why his hyperspace windows did get boosted by the nova, and that would explain why there was no problem with the Daedalus, since the Tau'ri ship left several seconds before the explosion.
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Both because they left before the blast and because Asgard hyperdrive technology is more advanced than the Goa'uld hyperdrive.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                        Both because they left before the blast and because Asgard hyperdrive technology is more advanced than the Goa'uld hyperdrive.

Vala,
                        Both valid points, but Mister Oragahn's post does bring up a few interesting ideas...
                        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Actually, it IS a good point that Daedalus was using an Asgard hyperdrive, which regardless of speed, is certainly more advanced and may have some sort of safeguard or a way to compensate for something such as a cataclysmic explosion. Just a theory but it wouldn't surprise me.
                          www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Perhaps the type of hyperdrive or the speed they were travelling are not the reason for the speed boost. I'm not an expert but maybe more energy is expelled when a sun goes nova than the Trinity device blowing up and this is what caused the Goa'uld ships to be thrown into another galaxy.
                            "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith View Post
                              Perhaps the type of hyperdrive or the speed they were travelling are not the reason for the speed boost. I'm not an expert but maybe more energy is expelled when a sun goes nova than the Trinity device blowing up and this is what caused the Goa'uld ships to be thrown into another galaxy.
                              i dont think so cos the trinity weapon was powering like up a few zpm's i think or was it 25 well anyway thats alot of energy and dont forget the planets core, that probaly wouldnt of done anything, but the waves from the trinity planet was so fast and violet that nothing should escaped it. yet in vorash the sun was moving so slowly thats all the hataks had enough time to fly out.#

but a a plot they wer boosted to another galaxy yet the daedalus remained somehow ahead of the blast
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X