Asgard are Dead? -- Coincidence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard are Dead? -- Coincidence?

Its extremely interesting to me that the "powers that be" decided to hastily kill off the illustrious Asgard. It signifies their deep desperation in holding the fan base hostage in suspense and hope for a comeback in the near future.

Coincidence:
    1. The Asgard have been evolving for thousands of years--existed for several thousand more. Its quite a coincidence that the entire species has been obliterated in the last episode of a time period in which the Human race just entered the Galaxy as a major power.

2. The Asgard had more than just a rudimentary homeworld and several colonies, but for some reason, this was conveniently omitted.

Long live Thor!
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by shiznaw View Post

2. The Asgard had more than just a rudimentary homeworld and several colonies, but for some reason, this was conveniently omitted.
      Since when? Did you forget how Orilla in "New Order" was the only Asgard planet at the time? And even then, the Replicator war wasn't completely over.

And your first point makes no sense. Everthing happened in SG1 took place during the time when the "Human race just entered the Galaxy as a major power"; are those all coincidences?

Comment

Its extremely interesting to me that the "powers that be" decided to hastily kill off the illustrious Asgard. It signifies their deep desperation in holding the fan base hostage in suspense and hope for a comeback in the near future.
        How are they going to manage that when SG-1 is over?

Coincidence:
        1. The Asgard have been evolving for thousands of years--existed for several thousand more. Its quite a coincidence that the entire species has been obliterated in the last episode of a time period in which the Human race just entered the Galaxy as a major power.
        Well it was planned to happen in season 11, but there isn't one. Coincidence? I'm not sure what you mean, it's as much a coincidence as the Ori becoming a threat I suppose.

All the Asgard had was one planet where they were attempting to rebuild their civilization.

Comment

yeah, the war with the replicators decimated the Asgard to the point where they only had one planet. One could assume that they started colonizing after S8 and the destruction of the replicators, but that could have been slow going since they weren't reproducing, so I think they mainly focused on rebuilding their one planet and trying to either make knew clones for stored Asgard consicences or find away to revert back to their natural state.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
            yeah, the war with the replicators decimated the Asgard to the point where they only had one planet. One could assume that they started colonizing after S8 and the destruction of the replicators, but that could have been slow going since they weren't reproducing, so I think they mainly focused on rebuilding their one planet and trying to either make knew clones for stored Asgard consicences or find away to revert back to their natural state.
            All of which failed too. Yes, their final demise was a bit rushed. But I see how TPTB reached the point they did with the Asgard.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Where was it stated that the Asgard were going to be dead at the end of season 11? So the writers were ALWAYS planning on killing the Asgard? That is really stupid. I thought it was a last minute decision because the show was cancelled.

Vala,

Comment

Coincidence:

They haven't evolved for a long time, which is why they were in trouble.
                When you can't undergo meiosis and reproduce the normal way, you don't evolve.
                Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                Caboose: They could be worse?
                Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

I will miss the ASGARD especially THOR

Comment

It didn't feel quite right to me either - like TPTB wrote down a whole bunch of possible tearjerker/poignant things to do for the series finale, threw a dart, and hit on killing off the Asgard.

Comment

As of "New Order, Parts 1 & 2," the Asgard were reduced to a single world and a small fleet of ships. By "Reckoning, Part 2," the Replicators had been finished off, but who knows how much damage the Replicators did to the Asgard over the coarse of Season 8. In the two years since then, the Asgard have been busy trying to prevent their extinction. I don't mind the Asgard being killed off in the series finale. What doesn't make sense to me is upgrading the Oddyssey instead of simply handing over their flagship.

Comment

As coop said, "No one ever really dies in sci-fi."

I fully expect to see the asgard come back!
                        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I reckon it's much easier for us to understand the tech if it's integrated into our own systems than giving us something that's completely alien.

Comment

they are dead!

HOLLY: They're dead, Dave.
                            LISTER: Who is?
                            HOLLY: Everybody, Dave.
                            LISTER: What, Captain Hollister?
                            HOLLY: Everybody's dead, Dave.
                            LISTER: What, Todhunter?
                            HOLLY: Everybody's dead, Dave.
                            LISTER: What, Selby?
                            HOLLY: They're all dead. Everybody's dead, Dave.

Stolen Kosovo
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                              Long live Thor!
                              He will be missed
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X