This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith Powersource?

Hi to all I'm new to the forums I always loved Stargate since the beginning 'till the end. Ok let me ask you has any got a clue what the Wraith powersource is I mean the Hive ships are massive they must need alot of power to run and the stasis where the wraith hibernate must require loads of power to sustain them?
    I wondering if they might a have a powersource close to the ZPM and if we can learn what it is and use it to power Atlantis? or at least use an Asgard neutrino core to power it?

sigpic

Hi welcome to gateworld, afraid i dont have an answer for you apart from i think you have made a great post most newbies post stuff thats been discussed to death here. Ill give you some green

Comment

There was a great theory about it being solar or cosmic radiation based. Which is why they have to stop in hyperspace, they refuel in space using thier Biotech ships as like giant solar panels, charging up enough power to enter hyperspace for the next jump.
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

What ever powers their ships it must be massive. To move atlantis requires ZPMs and Hives are significantly larger plus when they explode the entire hiveship seems to be pretty much vapourised so there must be something powerful inside them.
        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Yes, the internal chain reactions which often destroy hiveships literally vaporize them entirely in the vast majority of cases.

As far as it goes, I suspect they could use the following sources:

- Hyperspace radiations. But syphoning this energy, notably for hyperdrives, puts severe strain on the biological parts of their ships. So they have to "rest", like if they had to expel some sort of particles created from whatever reaction goes on there, or simply skin out heat, but that second one isn't very convincing.
          - Geothermal power. They vampirize planets with the blue beam. I know TPTB said it was to mark planets, but why the hell would they need to go through such a complicated system just to tag a world with a footnote, like "It's ours, we've already been there, and it's empty now". A mere probe, beacon or radar in space will do.
          - Materials we know nothing about.
          - More "funky" thing.
          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Probably some type of giant organic heart that acts as a fusion reactor.
            sigpic
            "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
            ~David Hewlett

Comment

I was never sure of what they might've used to power them. Its a shame that the skimatics(spelling) of the HIves got erased when they were send over. The power source could have been useful to power Atlantis, non the lease Hermoid was not very impressed by the wraith technlogy which must implefy that they've met a race with simular bio-tech ships? Maybe something in Asgard data base might gives us a clue how they can power the Hives.
              BTW thanks for the good comments and answers.

sigpic

Comment

I've been wondering that for a long time as well what the Wraith power source is. Probably something close to what powers an Aurora class ship if not stronger.

Vala,

Comment

Since the Wraith ships are organic, they may be using the type of organic cold fusion that was demonstrated by Linnea the Destroyer of Worlds in the episode "Prisoners".
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

RE Radiation thinggy. If i recall somewhere its the "Passage of hyperspace" that requires the rest stops for ships.

My guess would be something organic as well. But its not gonna be high tech. Have we seen organic conduiting before on hives?

If so, maybe they have designed their ships in such a way that they require the same energy that they absorb from their cullings. Its a wierd twisty idea though lol.

Would explain why the best plan of action to wipe the wraith out was to eliminate humans in the pegusus galaxy as it would mean their shipswould just cease to function.

But anyway its unlikly

Comment

Originally posted by sabretoothsheep View Post
                      RE Radiation thinggy. If i recall somewhere its the "Passage of hyperspace" that requires the rest stops for ships.

My guess would be something organic as well. But its not gonna be high tech. Have we seen organic conduiting before on hives?

If so, maybe they have designed their ships in such a way that they require the same energy that they absorb from their cullings. Its a wierd twisty idea though lol.

Would explain why the best plan of action to wipe the wraith out was to eliminate humans in the pegusus galaxy as it would mean their shipswould just cease to function.

But anyway its unlikly
                      Why is it not going to be high tech?
                      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

i always thought they used nuclear fussion or jacked a bunch of ZPMs from the Ancients

Comment

Originally posted by Davesg-43 View Post
                          i always thought they used nuclear fussion or jacked a bunch of ZPMs from the Ancients
                          They couldn't beat the ancients with superior numbers if they stole all their powersources from them...

Comment

Power source would definitely have to be big to power the thing. I don't think it need be in ZPM territory. I'm pretty sure that Atlantis isn't very energy efficient, powering all sorts of systems that are pretty useless, making it a big power sucker. A hive would be far more efficient in its use of power, but it would still need one heck of a lot juice to make it function.

My guess? The souls of those whom the wraith consume. I always wanted to see a spaceship powered by souls. Though in reality, I think the organic cold fusion suggested by womble sounds pretty plausible to me.

Comment

no they infultrate an atlantis class ship and jack their zpms or there was a ZMP shipment in a large ship and the wraith got it

Comment

Working...
                              X