This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapons On Odyssey (spoilers 'unending'

All right, We’ve all had Threads on the New Asgard Upgrades on board the Odyssey but do you still think when we see the Odyssey that the Ship will keep the Older Weapons systems such as the Marks III, Marks VIII and Rail Guns.

Could the Odyssey take on Darts or Death Gliders without these kind of weapon or how about destroying a planet? Would the Asgard Upgrades be able to do as much Damage as a Mark IV Nuke?

Views?

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post
    All right, We’ve all had Threads on the New Asgard Upgrades on board the Odyssey
    Then why not ask this question in one of those threads?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Considering they've taken on darts before using railguns, and death gliders are JUST LIKE 302's... I'd venture to say yes.

Unless you're talking about the new asgard beam weapons. Those seem like add-ons, not replacements. The rail guns are still there...

Comment

rail guns are much better against Darts and small fighters without shields than those asgard's beam weapons. Rail guns have faster rate of fire and can easily destroy darts.
        Stolen Kosovo
        sigpic

Comment

They're effectlively upgraded CIWS.

Comment

well with the comined fire power of nuikes and beam weapons we can tke down a ship very fast

Comment

I hope we see the odessy up against an asuran ship i s4.

Comment

The only question I have is, where are the beam emitter points?

Comment

Who knows? They didn't bother make them appear from anywhere else but those same vague spots which were supposed to be railgun turrets.
                  And when they make it look like it comes from the turrets, you get enough details to see that the turrets don't point in the direction of the firing.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
                    Considering they've taken on darts before using railguns, and death gliders are JUST LIKE 302's... I'd venture to say yes.

Unless you're talking about the new asgard beam weapons. Those seem like add-ons, not replacements. The rail guns are still there...
                    I agree... plus missile still have their purposes too.

The more weapons the more advantages you have.
                    sigpic

Comment

Rail guns are completely useless against any main ship with shields. But they require almost no power, so having as many rail guns as possible on the Odyssey will be good to take out small targets.

Nukes are always good. What can do more damage than a 100+ mega tonne nuke? 1000+ mega tonne nuke.

Need the lasers to penetrate any shields. More the merrier. Odyssey had 3, now if they make it 6 and fire them simultaneously, any ship will be destroyed or crippled with '1 shot'.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom6 View Post
                        The only question I have is, where are the beam emitter points?
                        i've always wondered that to, it just looks like they are coming from no where. My guess is that either the Asgard didnt want to make the visible or the animation guy forgot to put the emiters in.
                        Company of Thieves

Daniel: You might want to prepare to return fire.

Marks: For the record, Im always prepared. I just have to push this button.

Comment

I don't think they had time to get the emitters in. The whole episode felt rushed and thrown together.

But then again we never really saw the emitters on Thor Chariot or any other Asgard ship. Unless I missed something.

Comment

Originally posted by Entreri View Post
                            Rail guns are completely useless against any main ship with shields. But they require almost no power, so having as many rail guns as possible on the Odyssey will be good to take out small targets.

Nukes are always good. What can do more damage than a 100+ mega tonne nuke? 1000+ mega tonne nuke.

Need the lasers to penetrate any shields. More the merrier. Odyssey had 3, now if they make it 6 and fire them simultaneously, any ship will be destroyed or crippled with '1 shot'.
                            What do you mean railguns are useless? They used them against ha'tak motherships in "Off the Grid". I'm assuming this was because, you know, they're effective to some extent. Otherwise, why waste the ammo?
                            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

If Odyssey has the Horizon Weapon also, it's a 1 vessel War Machine. Think about it, the Odyssey could single handedly take down any planet that is sub-Goa'uld technologically.

Say a planet has a dozen warships guarding a planet around the level of an Al'kesh, only shielded. It also has thousands of fighters stationed on the surface, and surface weapons platforms.

Odyssey: exits hyperspace cloaked

Odyssey: uncloaks and drops a Horizon on the continent directly below.
                              At this point any weapons platforms in range are nothing but ashes (or molten alloys), any fighters within a 10 minute range have met the same fate.

Aliens: give them the benefit of the doubt, say 4 Warships are immediately in weapons range, and open fire the instant Odyssey uncloaks.
                              Let's be generous, say this 20sec. of bombardment brings the Odyssey's Asgard shields (powered by a Naquada Generator, Neutrino Ion Generator and ZPM) down to 89%.

Odyssey: bam, bam, bam, bam; 4 beams dart out of the Odyssey 3 seconds apart. The 4 alien warships are utterly destroyed in 12 seconds.
                              Odyssey shields are down to 82%

Aliens: 8 more Warships get into weapons range, they open fire, and launch a dozen fighters each. A squadron of 48 fighters arrive from a neighboring continent on the planet.

Odyssey: bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam; 8 beams dart out of the Odyssey 3 seconds apart while all railgun platforms have been activated (deliver an impact velocity of Mach five at two hundred and fifty miles. A standard magazine will hold ten thousand rounds). The 8 alien warships are utterly destroyed in 24 seconds, and 30 fighters have been destroyed in that time.

Odyssey: with the 114 fighters remaining, barely effecting the shields, but annoying all the same, Odyssey begins transporting Mk. 4s into the densest areas of fighters and set them to auto-detonate the instant of transport. Rail guns continue to fire.
                              All squadrons have been decimated by the nukes, with the stragglers being picked off by the railguns.

Odyssey shields are down to 72%

Aliens: 18 remaining fighters kamikaze attack Odyssey. Railguns take out 7 before impact. 11 hit the shields dead on, with their fuel tanks exploding on impact.

Odyssey shields down to 68%.

Odyssey: at maximum light speed orbits the planet, blanketing another 2 major continents with Horizons.

Aliens: With all of their superpowers gone, and rattled by natural disasters as side effects of the destruction of 3 of their continents, plead for Odyssey to accept their surrender.

Even against a race as advanced as the Aschen the battle would go something like this.
                              sigpic
                              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                              ~David Hewlett

Comment

Working...
                              X