This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beaming

we know that we have the ability to beam huge objects (the ep where baal put naquadah in a building and was gonna blow it up, but they beamed it into space)

so, with that, it shouldnt be too hard to beam something, like a 304 or anything else bigger from one place to another

now, if in Pegasus somewhere, humans installed a sensor system so that a 304 could use it to beam another object from MW to Pegasus, such as another 304 through the gate and into the planets atmosphere

if a 304 cant do it, then surely a beaming "station" somewhere, that had the capacity for something as big as a 304.

Through the gate sounds possible
    but I think it would be too risky
    sigpic

Comment

YOU CAN'T BEAM THROUGH A GATE. HOW MANY DAMNED TIMES DOES THIS HAVE TO BE BROUGHT UP? Christ. Good job starting another repeat thread that has been discussed (one too many times).

Though beaming a 304, which is considerably larger than the building, anywhere strikes me as a "much too power-consuming" to be applicable. I'm pretty sure that SOMEWHERE IN THERE, the starship's beaming computer won't be able to store THAT MUCH data during the transfer. Buildings are relatively simple. Starships have thousands of additional components that MUST be accoutned for.

In star trek, they limited this by having a finite-sized pattern buffer. Once you filled it up, yuo can't beam any more. I'm pretty sure Stargate has a similar limit.

And yeah, genius, beaming a starship around is highly impractical. If it was so easy as you say, why don't the asgard simply have a BEAMING STATION?

As for beaming a 304 into the planet's atmosphere... that's brilliant. It really is. Do you know why starships need to have an entry vector when they enter atmosphere? It's so they don't get pulled down by the gravity of the planet and destroyed. So for a ship to magically appear in teh atmosphere of the planet would make it incapable of firing enough retrothrust to counter the gravity field (not to mention the sudden stress introduced by trying to counter gravity would tear the ship apart). So unless there is a plan to get off the planet quickly, only a moron would suggest something like this. They did it in Battlestar Galactica, but what happened was that Admiral Adama jumped the ship in atmo, launched fighters, then immediately jumped OUT. Even in taht situation, Galactica suffered extreme damage and was nearly destroyed. BRILLIANT IDEA THEREALDB. WE NEED MORE BROKEN SHIPS.

You also can't lock onto a subject that is in motion, so you wouldn't be able to start a starship moving, and then beam them anywhere and hope that they continue with the same velocity. The beaming sensors have to be able to lock on an object, and to have a MASSIVE STARSHIP MOVING would be impossible to track.

Comment

Ah excellent my morning cup of rage^.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

The best part of waking up.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
            YOU CAN'T BEAM THROUGH A GATE. HOW MANY DAMNED TIMES DOES THIS HAVE TO BE BROUGHT UP? Christ. Good job starting another repeat thread that has been discussed (one too many times).

Though beaming a 304, which is considerably larger than the building, anywhere strikes me as a "much too power-consuming" to be applicable. I'm pretty sure that SOMEWHERE IN THERE, the starship's beaming computer won't be able to store THAT MUCH data during the transfer. Buildings are relatively simple. Starships have thousands of additional components that MUST be accoutned for.

In star trek, they limited this by having a finite-sized pattern buffer. Once you filled it up, yuo can't beam any more. I'm pretty sure Stargate has a similar limit.

And yeah, genius, beaming a starship around is highly impractical. If it was so easy as you say, why don't the asgard simply have a BEAMING STATION?

As for beaming a 304 into the planet's atmosphere... that's brilliant. It really is. Do you know why starships need to have an entry vector when they enter atmosphere? It's so they don't get pulled down by the gravity of the planet and destroyed. So for a ship to magically appear in teh atmosphere of the planet would make it incapable of firing enough retrothrust to counter the gravity field (not to mention the sudden stress introduced by trying to counter gravity would tear the ship apart). So unless there is a plan to get off the planet quickly, only a moron would suggest something like this. They did it in Battlestar Galactica, but what happened was that Admiral Adama jumped the ship in atmo, launched fighters, then immediately jumped OUT. Even in taht situation, Galactica suffered extreme damage and was nearly destroyed. BRILLIANT IDEA THEREALDB. WE NEED MORE BROKEN SHIPS.

You also can't lock onto a subject that is in motion, so you wouldn't be able to start a starship moving, and then beam them anywhere and hope that they continue with the same velocity. The beaming sensors have to be able to lock on an object, and to have a MASSIVE STARSHIP MOVING would be impossible to track.
            Actually, we don't know if you can lock onto a moving object or not. We know that you can lock onto PEOPLE while moving, but we've never heard anything for or against larger objects in motion. You can't make that claim.

Also, the ST universe is NOT the SG universe. The buffer systems could be wildly different: you don't know. As for the Asgard not having beaming stations, their hyperdrives were fast enough to make it a moot point, and they were probably too busy with the Replicators to care.

So please, analyze your points before screaming at an innocent poster? Thanks.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Doesn't matter what system you use, you still need some sort of buffer system to facilitate the transfer of an object from point A to point B. This is because the object isn't instantaneously tansferred. It has to pass THROUGH something.

As for locking onto a moving object, the larger it is, the harder it becomes to lock ONTO it, because you have to freeze that instant of movement. It's almost like photography. You can run the risk of missing something if the object is too big or is moving too quickly. They call it sensor resolution in SG I believe.

And unless you have a hard time reading my post, I did analyze it pretty thoroughly.

Comment

Doesn't matter what system you use, you still need some sort of buffer system to facilitate the transfer of an object from point A to point B. This is because the object isn't instantaneously tansferred. It has to pass THROUGH something.

As for locking onto a moving object, the larger it is, the harder it becomes to lock ONTO it, because you have to freeze that instant of movement. It's almost like photography. You can run the risk of missing something if the object is too big or is moving too quickly. They call it sensor resolution in SG I believe.

And unless you have a hard time reading my post, I did analyze it pretty thoroughly.
                Wow. A little over the top, but no argument with your analysis.

Comment

Now THAT was thorough, I'll give you that.

As for the buffer argument, we don't know how much an Asgard beaming buffer can hold. We know it could transport a building with no visible loss of power or great strain on the ship itself, so I'd say beaming another vessel is feasible.

Also, Asgard sensors have been able to lock onto things a MASSIVE distance away (The Prometheus beamed a building from Earth to the moon, after all). So it stands to reason they'd be able to lock onto moving things fairly easily, as well. Then again, neither of us have any canon evidence to back these things up, so it's purely speculative.
                  Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                  Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

well the buffer couldnt take that much data if u try 'BEAM' a freakin 304

i dont believe you can beam through a stargate cos there no point for the beam to locate to

if you had those ancient obelisk devices that can beam entire people like in quest part 2

but fiddle around with it to transport a 304 than maybe
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                      Now THAT was thorough, I'll give you that.

As for the buffer argument, we don't know how much an Asgard beaming buffer can hold. We know it could transport a building with no visible loss of power or great strain on the ship itself, so I'd say beaming another vessel is feasible.

Also, Asgard sensors have been able to lock onto things a MASSIVE distance away (The Prometheus beamed a building from Earth to the moon, after all). So it stands to reason they'd be able to lock onto moving things fairly easily, as well. Then again, neither of us have any canon evidence to back these things up, so it's purely speculative.
                      Here's my point. The 304's scanners may be good enough to track a small object in motion (JOhn Sheppard in a 302 moving away), but a large, moving starship is a totally different matter. Sensor resolution needed to make sure the whole ship stays intact would be ridiculously taxing.

And yeah, they beamed a building into space. The building wasn't moving at a pace that the ship couldn't match (effectively making the speed 0). I'm talking about large, moving objects.

And why would the 304 have to be moving? If it wasn't moving when it reappeared on the planet's atmosphere, it would drop like a rock and systems would immediately fail to boot up.

Comment

Here's my point. The 304's scanners may be good enough to track a small object in motion (JOhn Sheppard in a 302 moving away), but a large, moving starship is a totally different matter. Sensor resolution needed to make sure the whole ship stays intact would be ridiculously taxing.

And yeah, they beamed a building into space. The building wasn't moving at a pace that the ship couldn't match (effectively making the speed 0). I'm talking about large, moving objects.

And why would the 304 have to be moving? If it wasn't moving when it reappeared on the planet's atmosphere, it would drop like a rock and systems would immediately fail to boot up.
                        Sensor resolution... alot of it... So what? We're talking about ASGARD sensors here, not shoddy Earth-made ones. Given a few thousand years of technological advancement over us, I'm confident they could do it pretty easily. Especially if they were using the Odyssey's state-of-the-art sensors.

They could beam it into a very high orbit, or a little farther out into space. That way, it would have plenty of time to get its engines online, days, weeks, or even months. Though I seriously doubt it would take that long

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                          well the buffer couldnt take that much data if u try 'BEAM' a freakin 304

i dont believe you can beam through a stargate cos there no point for the beam to locate to

if you had those ancient obelisk devices that can beam entire people like in quest part 2

but fiddle around with it to transport a 304 than maybe
                          Ummmm... I'm thinking you could beam through the gate because if transfer the 302's matrix from a buffer on one side to another one buffer one another plant then just rematiralize it. That would be if they had star trek transporters. Now Stargate beamers. If an asguard was beaming up a 302 for whatever reason and up put a gate in between and have another ship on top another gate in line to catch the 302 it could work. Same as the go'uld ring when they escape sokar's hell with Teal'c intercepting the transport beam!

And you! I'm glad you stated your opinion but that was a bit harsh

Thank you for your time everybody

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                            Sensor resolution... alot of it... So what? We're talking about ASGARD sensors here, not shoddy Earth-made ones. Given a few thousand years of technological advancement over us, I'm confident they could do it pretty easily. Especially if they were using the Odyssey's state-of-the-art sensors.

They could beam it into a very high orbit, or a little farther out into space. That way, it would have plenty of time to get its engines online, days, weeks, or even months. Though I seriously doubt it would take that long
                            Even with their fancy advanced sensors aboard the O'Neill, they didn't opt to BEAM the O'Neill to Ida. They still towed her. That should say something.

Comment

Even with their fancy advanced sensors aboard the O'Neill, they didn't opt to BEAM the O'Neill to Ida. They still towed her. That should say something.
                              What are you talking about... I've never seen an O'Neill tow an O'Neill...

Comment

Working...
                              X