Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better solution to Unending's problem (spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better solution to Unending's problem (spoilers)

I'm smarter than Carter! Or maybe I'm dumber so this solution came to me.

So in Unending Carter put the ship into a time dilation field to buy enough time to save the ship. I found a quicker way to save the ship than the time consuming process of having Carter invent either the phase device or the time travel device. We know:
    1. The transporter can beam out large objects like skyscrapers.
    2. The transporter works while the field is active.
    3. The transporter can beam objects into a buffer for rematerialization at a later date.
    4. There was an Ori weapon smaller than the diameter of the ship aimed at the nose section.
    So all SG-1 has to do is seal the compartment which would be hit by the beam. Then they just beam it out and store it in the buffer. That's when they disengage the Asgard core and let the Ori weapon pass harmlessly through the empty space before jumping to hyperspace.

Carter would still have to come up with the way to quickly disengage the Asgard core, but it wouldn't nearly take 50 years - she said so in the episode. Maybe this is a dumber solution, but so was Carter's solution in Small Victories too. I hope she doesn't make the same mistakes that the Asgard did by overthinking!!!

You realize that your plan fails if the two halves of the ship left behind moves even an inch, right?

Sorry, I don't think it'll work.

Comment

They don't have to beam out the entire cross-section. Just a hole wide enough to allow the beam to travel through it (with a safety zone of course). Or they could beam out the entire nose or just leave it behind if they can't keep it.

The only problem I can see is if that section hit by the beam held machines critical to the hyperspace or power systems (or the Asgard core) that they couldn't move elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord You View Post
        The only problem I can see is if that section hit by the beam held machines critical to the hyperspace or power systems (or the Asgard core) that they couldn't move elsewhere.
        That would be a problem
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          You realize that your plan fails if the two halves of the ship left behind moves even an inch, right?

Sorry, I don't think it'll work.
          Agreed. The solution carter came up with is the only one.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
            Agreed

Comment

Carter had already ran a simulation on beaming out of the Odyssey befoe the beam struck, there wasn't enough time for that, so I doubt there would be enough time for your plan either.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                Not exactly! Teal'c didn't have to make the sacrifice and stay old! They could have created a robot which projects Sam's old image as a hologram with instructions and include him in the field instead of Teal'c.

Comment

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, I need your help!

lol sorry I just had to after reading the above idea...

But anyway, I'm sure that there were alternative ideas, they just hadn't probably had the time to think of them yet. Sam knew that they were all gonna die of old age in a few decades anyway so tried to think of something as quickly as possible.
                  Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                  Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                  Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                  --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Lol.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by petemoretti View Post
                      Not exactly! Teal'c didn't have to make the sacrifice and stay old! They could have created a robot which projects Sam's old image as a hologram with instructions and include him in the field instead of Teal'c.
                      Well no because teal'c physically had to stop her because he only got there a few seconds before carter put them in the time dilation field, a hologram couldnt do that also it was only possible to go back as far as they did.

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
                        Well no because teal'c physically had to stop her because he only got there a few seconds before carter put them in the time dilation field, a hologram couldnt do that also it was only possible to go back as far as they did.
                        A robot could do that...

Comment

That'll take more energy and time that they may not have.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                            That'll take more energy and time that they may not have.
                            Nope the problem with my solution is that it wasn't dramatic enough for the end of SG-1.
                            Last edited by petemoretti; 04 July 2007, 08:09 AM.

Comment

A better solution would be to use the time dialation to move the ship super fast like the replicators in New Order, but I guess Carter, Teal'c, and Coop forgot all about that.

Perfecto!

Comment

Working...
                              X