Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battling In Hyperspace?? Theories? Possible or Not?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battling In Hyperspace?? Theories? Possible or Not?

Right back in the first episode of third season of Atlantis (basically S3 EP1- No Man's Land)

SHEPPARD: Hit `em while they're in hyperspace. They'll never know
    what happened.

(He moves his finger towards the NO button.)

SHEPPARD: Is that even possible?

(Suddenly he hears Rodney's voice in his head.)

McKAY: There is no reason to believe that their hyperspace field is
    any different than ours ...

(John flashes back to a memory of himself in the Atlantis
    Commissary. He's sitting at a table with Rodney and Radek, who are
    arguing.)

McKAY: ... and we can't launch 302s from the Daedalus while in
    hyperspace.

ZELENKA: I'm simply talking about manoeuvring *within* the field,
    *not* passing through it. (He looks at John.) What do *you* think?
    (John smiles. We then see why he's smiling. There's a pretty woman
    sitting at the next table and she is smiling flirtatiously back at
    him.)
    Is this even possible to do? Theories please!

well if you fire weapons in Hyper Space the weapons would be too slow comne back and hit the ship

Comment

Pretty much what Zelenka says: expand the field to catch your target... with all weird effects it could have.

Technically, the two hive ships in No Man's Land used the same hyperspace tunnel. We've seen ha'taks do this as well.
      How they do this is not really important. They do it. In theory, they could exchange things, like projectiles or energy beams, just as long as it remaisn within the fields.

Now, about using hyperspace-realspace interactions tactics...

We know that fields can be extended, at least before entering hyperspace, to insane ranges (SG-1 Failsafe).
      That's probably where hte limitation also lies.

Ultimately, what's the avantage? If you catch your enemy in your bubble, it can fire back at you.
      It would be faster to suddenly shrink the bubble back to normal size, and eventually see the ship you caught be... huh, whatever happens in such cases.

Of course, it's *IF* you can catch a ship in your field like if it was a net of some sort, while your target was in realspace.

I'm afraid that until you properly open an hyperspace window, you can expand your field as much as you want once you're in hyperspace, it will do nothing safe suck more juice: you won't "capture" objects which are in realspace.
      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

I remember in Season 8 on SG-1 The Asgard were chasing a Replicator Ship, and they were able to fire their weapon (but the weapon was an energy weapon) so we wouldnt know the speed of it.. and i just want to ask, how is it possible for the Asgard to get into the same hyperspace as the Replicator.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkygate View Post
          Right back in the first episode of third season of Atlantis (basically S3 EP1- No Man's Land)

Is this even possible to do? Theories please!
          It can be done!

It was shown that you can engage ships in hyperspace in 'Small Victories'.

Comment

Originally posted by ohnd View Post
            I remember in Season 8 on SG-1 The Asgard were chasing a Replicator Ship, and they were able to fire their weapon (but the weapon was an energy weapon) so we wouldnt know the speed of it.. and i just want to ask, how is it possible for the Asgard to get into the same hyperspace as the Replicator.
            When they fired, they weren't in hyperspace!

Thor says it all in 'New Order':

THOR: My ship's weapons will not function in hyperspace, much like the shields. However, in close proximity, the self-destruct may be sufficient to eliminate both ships. I am sorry, but we have no choice. If the human-form Replicators reach Orilla, they will have the resources to replicate many thousands of times. We cannot allow that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
              . . .

Thor says it all in 'New Order':

THOR: My ship's weapons will not function in hyperspace, much like the shields. However, in close proximity, the self-destruct may be sufficient to eliminate both ships. I am sorry, but we have no choice. If the human-form Replicators reach Orilla, they will have the resources to replicate many thousands of times. We cannot allow that to happen.
              Yes, but it was explained in "Small Victories" that this is the case for Asguard ships, because in hyperspace all power is diverted to the hyperspace generators. It's not a problem with hyperspace per say it is a power utilization issue. So if you had a seperate, isolated power system for your weapons they could theoretically be used within the confines of your own hyperspace bubble.

Comment

Why not fit a hyperdrive on a missile and fire it at people? At the least, this would be totally unexpected.

The hyperdrive they used on the X-302 with a naquadria generator would do. Most weapons would only need a few seconds of time in hyperspace and that's all that hyperdrive could safely do.

Heck, the naquadria would even enhance the explosion.
                Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

well an advance race lie the asgard couldnt even fire weapons in hyperspace when catching up to the replicator ship to new order

thor said my ships weapon will not function in hyperspace!

and they were somehow in the same hyperspace tunnel with the daniel jackson closing behind the replicator ship
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Davesg-43 View Post
                    well if you fire weapons in Hyper Space the weapons would be too slow come back and hit the ship
                    But what if the ship you wanted to attack was behind you? Then if you had a weapon like a drone, that could seek targets, and as long as you don't fire it in front of you, it would be able to fly back and hit the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                      well an advance race lie the asgard couldnt even fire weapons in hyperspace when catching up to the replicator ship to new order

thor said my ships weapon will not function in hyperspace!

and they were somehow in the same hyperspace tunnel with the daniel jackson closing behind the replicator ship
                      Think of the hyperspace tunnel as a road that is being made by the ship as it travels. If another ship is travelling that same path, they are on the same 'road', just behind the first ship.

As for firing weapons in hyperspace, read this article for what I think would happen.

Comment

Its possible for use hyperspace in battles certainly, tactically hyperspace is very usefull. As to fighting in hyperspace i dont think its possible, weapons dont function, and i think we know the reason why, When your in hyperspace the hyperdrive basically surrounds yourship and plops you in to another layer of space itself, sub(or hyper)space. When this happens the ship is excluded from normal space which is why shields and weapons dont work. You are disconnected from normal space which is where shields and weapons function. Now like with stargates which travel through subspace some things go eahc way, like radio waves which is why you can communicate in hyperspace.
                        Weapons shouldnt be able to fire within the field of the ship. I think the reason shields dont work is because they are protecting the ship from subspace, kind of like the cloak/shield interference, You physically cant have both, if you activate shields the hyperspace window fails.
                        I also dont think you can manuvure, can you reverse in hyperspace? You can slow down, but can you go backwards..
                        The reason the self destruct works is because it is in something protected from hyperspace, so you can blow up your own ship, and the debrie will hit other ships, with the hyperspace pathway. Like it did with oniel. But i dont think you can eject rocks at ships in hyperspace. You might be able to design weapons that have a field around them which makes them travel in hyperspace, hyperspace mines if you will.
                        going through this You could potentially battle in hyperspace but it would be very complex on developing how of doing so.
                        sigpic
                        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                        Stargate : Genesis |
                        Original Starship DesignThread
                        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by turbo1889 View Post
                          Yes, but it was explained in "Small Victories" that this is the case for Asguard ships, because in hyperspace all power is diverted to the hyperspace generators. It's not a problem with hyperspace per say it is a power utilization issue. So if you had a seperate, isolated power system for your weapons they could theoretically be used within the confines of your own hyperspace bubble.
                          Actually that was in reference to the Replicator controlled ships!

THOR
                          In order to generate the subspace field required to travel at hyper speed, the
                          full power of the generators is required. Presently, they are using that power
                          to replicate.

SAM
                          So, if they DID decide to go to hyper-speed, it would mean no shields or weapons?

THOR
                          Yes. But remember, the replicators do not care about time as we do.

+

SAM
                          OK!You said that the bugs can't use shields or weapons in hyper-speed. If the O'NEILL enters hyper-speed, the bugs will have to in order to follow it. What we do is we blow THE O'NEILL, and take the bugs with it!

Asgard ships don't need the additional power that the Replicators do for replicating, meaning they had to sacrifice their speed etc to increase their numbers during the journey. So they can put that to the extra systems. Yet the O'Neill still couldn't fire upon them, despite it's extra power that could have been diverted to weapons. It simply seems that nobody can use conventional weapons while traveling in hyperspace.

Even in 'Unending', the Ori ships could fly just as fast as the Odyssey with a ZPM, they were only seconds behind every single time, yet had to wait till they dropped out of hyperspace before engaging them.

We've never seen a ship battle another in hyperspace, other than blowing up the O'Neill warship in 'Small Victories', which cascaded & took out the following Replicator controlled ships that were in pursuit.

I don't think energy weapons can work, probably not even human projectiles, the only thing we've seen working so far was explosives!

Comment

Thor long ago stated that ships cannt use shileds or weapons in hyperspace, the 302 wouldn't have been able to either. I'm not sure if it could have launched or not but I do doubt the hyperspace field would have allowed the 302 to leave the hangar of the 304 while in hyperspace

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Is it possible that the shields could disrupt the hyper-space field in some way?
                              sigpic
                              "We are the Fifth Race. Our role is clear. If there is any hope in preserving the future, it lies with us."
                              Signature made by RJB

Comment

Working...
                              X