This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faster hyperdrives asgard/ancient

Which have faster hyperdrives the ancients or the asgard? If someone already asked this please tell me. I ran a search and found nothing on the first 5 out of 10 pages i got.
    sigpic

Okay, first off the ancients had two different kinds of hyperdrive -- intergalactic (City Ships) and intragalactic (Arora Class).

The Asguard hyper drive seems to be faster then the standard Ancient Intragalactic hyperdrive.

Whether the Asguard hyper drive or the Ancient Intergalactic hyperdrive is faster -- I'm not sure if there is cannon material on that one. But from pure speculation I would have to say that the Ancient Intergalactic hyperdrive is slower but stronger kind of like the difference between a sports-car (Asguard hyperdrive) and a semi-truck tractor rig (Ancient Intergalactic hyperdrive). Remember the Ancient Intergalactic hyperdrive system was designed to pull an entire city ship through hyperspace at a higher speed then the standard Ancient Intragalactic hyperdrive. You have got to have a very strong engine to pull a load like that at any speed much less a higher speed then standard hyper drive.

So to sum up my speculations on the matter:

~Ancient Intragalactic hyperdrive = Regular Car
    ~Asguard hyperdrive = Sports Car
    ~Ancient Intergalactic hyperdrive = Turbo Charged Big Rig 18-wheeler (you know the kind that pass you like your standing still on the inter-state)

Comment

Id probably say asgard had faster hyperdrives however you only build to need. The asgard needed intergalactic hyperdrives to come to and from the milky way to keep up there protected planets treaty etc. Just because the ancients were so advanced doesnt mean people less advanced on the whole dont have specific better tech.

Comment

turbo1889, a bigger engine does not necessarily mean a signficant increase in top speed. Doubling the horsepower of a car will not double the top speed. The majority of the energy (used by Atlantis' hyperdrives) will go on to generate the force necessary to propel the tremendous weight of the city, like when escaping a planet's gravitational field or travling through hyperspace, only leaving a small room for top speed improvement. Seeing that the Daedalus takes 4 days (with a ZPM) to reach Atlantis, I would say Asguard hyperdrives are faster; because in the context of ship-size, the load is drastically less. It hasn't been clearly defined which hyperdrive is faster based on engine design. Who knows.
        Last edited by randy23; 01 July 2007, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by randy23 View Post
          turbo1889, a bigger engine does not necessarily mean a signficant increase in top speed. Doubling the horsepower of a car will not double the top speed. The majority of the energy (used by Atlantis' hyperdrives) will go on to generate the force necessary to propel the tremendous weight of the city, like when escaping a planet's gravitational field or travling through hyperspace, only leaving a small room for top speed improvement. Seeing that the Daedalus takes 4 days (with a ZPM) to reach Atlantis, I would say Asguard hyperdrives are faster; because in the context of ship-size, the load is drastically less. It hasn't been clearly defined which hyperdrive is faster based on engine design. Who knows.
          Okay, I agree with just about everything you have to say. But I believe that there is an under-lying assumption in your post where we disagree with each other and you disagree with cannon. In the Stargate Atlantis Season 2 Episode "Arora" it is clearly stated that there exist two different distinct kinds of ancient hyperdrives. The kind possessed by Arora class ships is for intragalactic travel and is much slower then both the ancient intergalactic hyper-drive and the Asguard hyper-drive.

The difference in speed as well as pulling power between the two different ancient hyper-drives is a major portion of the plot of the episode in question.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo1889 View Post
            Okay, I agree with just about everything you have to say. But I believe that there is an under-lying assumption in your post where we disagree with each other and you disagree with cannon. In the Stargate Atlantis Season 2 Episode "Arora" it is clearly stated that there exist two different distinct kinds of ancient hyperdrives. The kind possessed by Arora class ships is for intragalactic travel and is much slower then both the ancient intergalactic hyper-drive and the Asguard hyper-drive.

The difference in speed as well as pulling power between the two different ancient hyper-drives is a major portion of the plot of the episode in question.

turbo1889, I'm a bit confused with your claim, which I go against canon. I'm simply stating, there hasn't been clear proof that the Ancient Intergalactic Hyperdrives are faster than the Asguard Hyperdrives just because it can pull at a higher capacity, like the one found in Atlantis. Moving a larger mass only proves that, the giant engines in Atlantis need more energy to generate thrust. I'm focusing more on the technical specs. For example, wraith hyperdrives; it's inferior to both Ancient and Asguard-hyperdrives because it functions inefficiently, making galaxy trips impossible. All we know is that the Asguard and Ancients both created intergalactic engines, capable of travelling to different galaxies. Kudos to the Ancients for making a bigger engine design, but that doesn't show that the engine is faster, assuming ship size and power are the same.
            Last edited by randy23; 01 July 2007, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Well, the Asgard have had several thousand years to improve on whatever hyperdrive tech may have existed back in the day.
              sigpic

Comment

The Asgards had the need to have extremely fast intergalactic hyperdrives, ancients didn't. Therefore asgard hyperdrive > ancient hyperdrive even when boosted by a ZPM.

Of course concrete evidence does not exist. We can only speculate.

Comment

We never seen Ancient ships go between galaxies so we dont know how fast the intergalactic hyperdrive could go. We know that the intragalactic is slower than the asgards because in "Aurora" it would of took months to get back to atlantis without the modifications and days with the modifications. This was still inside the galaxy when it takes an asgard hyperdrive 18 days to get between galaxies.

Asgard hyperdrive>intragalactic
                  Asgard?intergalactic
                  sigpic

Comment

Asgard ships are faster probably because they have less systems than the ancient ships. The ancient ships have crews of a couple hundred where as the Asgard ships are run by a single Asgard. The Ancient power systems are drawn to power more functions so more power is diverted. Where as the Asgard probably have more abundance of power to share because there is less strain because the ships are smaller and don't have to use as much power to use the Life support.

Although if an Ancient ship was to be powered by zpms or had star drives it would be able to stand up to the Asgard's intergalactic drives.
                    sigpic

Comment

It's really hard to tell because we don't know a few things:

1) Size of the Pegasus Galaxy
                      2) Distance from the Ida Galaxy to Milky Way
                      3) Distance from Pegasus to Milky Way
                      4) How fast the Tria could have gone had they not damaged their Hyperdrive

But I'm of the feeling that the Ancients' drive technology wasn't as advanced as the current Asgard military drives.

Comment

Originally posted by Ehecatl View Post
                        Although if an Ancient ship was to be powered by zpms or had star drives it would be able to stand up to the Asgard's intergalactic drives.
                        Uhh.. no. The star drive is able to extend a hyperspace sphere around the entire cityship to allow hyperspace travel for the city, but it's also extremely slow. Intergalactic travel took a long time. I don't think installing THAT on an Ancient ship will make it go faster than a Asgard ship.

Comment

IcyNeko, so, when the ancients first built the stardrives for the city, it was intended only for intragalactic travel? So, the engine modifications for the ship in "Aurora" were only applicable because the ship was much smaller in size in comparison to Atlantis?
                          Last edited by randy23; 02 July 2007, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by randy23 View Post
                            IcyNeko, so, when the ancients first built the stardrives for the city, it was intended only for intragalactic travel? So, the engine modifications for the ship in "Aurora" were only applicable because the ship was much smaller in size in comparison to Atlantis?
                            The city was built on Earth meaning they built an intergalactic hyperdrive so they could get to pegasus. It was intended for intergalactic and intragalactic.
                            It would take a very long time to get to the pegasus with a intragalactic hyperdrive only.
                            sigpic

Comment

Asgard hyper drive much faster.

As seen from the new upgrades to Odyssey, Asgard ship tech is far better than anything the Ancients built. Easily destroy Ori motherships, which were impervious to all other weapons, Ascended Ori having all the knowledge of the universe...

Odyssey with the most advanced Asgard stuff=most powerful ship ever. Will easily take out Aurora class warships.

Comment

Working...
                              X