X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far away is the Ori galaxy?

I'm guessing very very far and my reasoning is this:

The Ori use Supergates to bring their ships in to our galaxy, but an Ori ship is capable of travelling at similar speeds to a 404 with a ZPM powering it (capable of the trip to Atlantis in around 2 days) Pegasus is near the outer part of our local group of Galaxies and the milky way is near the center so the Ori ships could easily get to our Galaxy from anywhere within the local group, so I would guess they where in another group elsewhere, perhaps another group in the Virgo cluster maybe they need a ninth chevron to code for our local group so they can dial our galaxy?

Does anyone know the answer to where the Ori Galaxy is? (ie is it in the show?) I don't have seasons 9 + 10 on DVD so I can't check.

Like you said the use of supergates indicates that it must be much more economical to use then to simply fly here. Well its that or the Ori are the most impatient lazy sods ever.
    "It's because you just cant spell manslaughter without the laughter..."

"If you move around the letters in "Ori Infantry" it spells Meatsheild."

Comment

Maybe it isn't THAT far away. The Ancients shield the Milky way, so maybe the Ori need a stargate (which they know the Milky Way would have) in order to reach it.
      You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

Comment

It's in a 'distant corner of the universe', or thereabouts

I would suspect that it's located in another supercluster, literally in another part of the universe. Not only is that more epic, but it makes sense, given the potential top speed of the ships must be huge given the strength of their shields.

Stargate coordinates are interchangable for hyperspace navigation, so if the Ori have stargate addresses, they should be able to locate the MW.

The Alterans really wanted to get away from the Ori. It makes sense that they'd put a lot of distance between them.

Comment

It was never mentioned. We'll never know.

Comment

Originally posted by lunchbox View Post
            I'm thinking if it wasn't in the series we might find out in one of the films, it was rumoured that one of the films may set the scene for the new third sg series, maybe they find out the ori galaxy is a nine symbol address? hence the ninth chevron element to the new series?

Comment

Nah, in the new series they find out the ninth chevron doesn't do anything, it's just there for looks.
              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

My guess is that the Ori galaxy is several thousand years away at maximum speed for an Ancient intergalactic hyperdrive.

I choose this figure due to the extreme age of the Ancients. They arrived in the MW something like 50 million years ago. Couple thousand years is just a drop in the bucket by comparison.

They probably stopped at least a few (hundred?) times along the way for supplies/groceries. There might even be a string of small Ancient mining outposts/colonies along the route they took (or entire colonized galaxies by now).

I figure the ship they came here in was a generational ship, with people living out their entire lives on board while traveling. It may even be that the Ancients who lived here were just dropped off, with the ship continuing on.

Of course, it's all speculation based on an educated guess. For all I know, the Ori galaxy is only ten years away by hyperdrive. That would still take too long for the Ori's plans.
                Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

Originally posted by ascendedancient42 View Post
                  My guess is that the Ori galaxy is several thousand years away at maximum speed for an Ancient intergalactic hyperdrive.

I choose this figure due to the extreme age of the Ancients. They arrived in the MW something like 50 million years ago. Couple thousand years is just a drop in the bucket by comparison.

They probably stopped at least a few (hundred?) times along the way for supplies/groceries. There might even be a string of small Ancient mining outposts/colonies along the route they took (or entire colonized galaxies by now).

I figure the ship they came here in was a generational ship, with people living out their entire lives on board while traveling. It may even be that the Ancients who lived here were just dropped off, with the ship continuing on.

Of course, it's all speculation based on an educated guess. For all I know, the Ori galaxy is only ten years away by hyperdrive. That would still take too long for the Ori's plans.
                  That's quite a good point, if the ancients made stops allong the way they could have made automated ships to drop of stargate maybe?, it could turn out there are smaller gate networks in other Galaxies allong the route where they have Taken turns to Pilot the ship to the next place a Gate will be placed and then switch? this could be true even if it's only a year away,

Or Maybe the Ori are in the Kalium Galaxy, that might explain why Ra was hanging around there in the film

Comment

in a galaxy far far away......

and who saw avalon part 2 when vala and daniel were linked to the ancient comm device and then you see planets and stars shootong past at a very high speeds.

thats how far it is...

anyone rember if not rewatch.....
                    sigpic

Comment

Star Wars far.
                      http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9...sigcopy9ie.jpg
                      The Alliance is born!!!!

Comment

If we were to assume that each segment of the supergate uses about as much energy as is required normally for a single stargate, but the collective energy required generated exponentially increased with each segment, that would mean that the Ori galaxy is supercluster after supercluster etc. away.

We know they had some Alteran ascended, since the cause of the split was in regards to the ascended and the nonascended interactions. So, if the Ori galaxy is as far away as I'm thinking of, humans could have first evolved billions and billions of years ago, if the Acients only got here 50 million years ago. I don't think they'd think that just the next supercluster over would be far enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Battera View Post
                          Maybe it isn't THAT far away. The Ancients shield the Milky way, so maybe the Ori need a stargate (which they know the Milky Way would have) in order to reach it.
                          The way I interpreted it is that they only shielded its existence from the Ori, like hiding a freshly baked apple pie under a cloth

The Ancients could not do anything to physically prevent the Oris followers from coming here as that would be breaking the rules.

I think the Supergate was just a quicker way of getting here. It took them about a year to get a functional Supergate in our galaxy so even if they are only 5 years away it was worth it.

There is also the thought that even if they were within a year or two hyperspace travel, you wouldn't want your human soldiers cooped up on a ship for that long as they'd probably be a bit rusty by the time they got here and would be easier to defeat.

Simple and most obvious explanation is that they are in a galaxy far far far far far far away.

Comment

Originally posted by lunchbox View Post
                            Yeah -I've got season 9 on dvd and it doesn't say.

BUT if the ori galaxy was billions upon billions of lightyears away then the ancient communication device from Glastonbury would've needed something far more powerful than a ZPM to be able to operate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaapaai993 View Post
                              Yeah -I've got season 9 on dvd and it doesn't say.

BUT if the ori galaxy was billions upon billions of lightyears away then the ancient communication device from Glastonbury would've needed something far more powerful than a ZPM to be able to operate.
                              There are 2 com devices working in tandom so they could resonate on a frequency in subspace that links them, subspace coms don't take as much power as the Stargate do they? recently we have developed wireless electricity technology that has very little power loss in the transfer, who knows what that could lead to in only a few short years.

Comment

Working...
                              X