Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you track other travelers in hyperspace?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you track other travelers in hyperspace?

When you're going through hyperspace, do you go to a dimension where bending space-time is a simple task?
    What I'm having trouble understanding is how the Ori were able to track the daedalus in hyperspace if they went into another dimension and the Ori were not capable of detecting Sam and Cam in another dimension in the episode "Line in the Sand"

Hyperspace is a different "dimension" to the one Merlin's device phase-shifts you to.

Plus, it was explained in "Unending" that the Ori weren't detecting Odyssey (not Daedalus; that's the BC-304 from Atlantis) in hyperspace per se; rather, they were detecting some sort of energy signature that was being given off by the Asgard computer core, which was detectable even from hyperspace.

Plus, the Asgard had the ability to monitor hyperspace traffic around earth (and, presumably, anywhere else they wanted to keep an eye on), so it's only fair to assume that the Ori would have similar technology available to them.
    Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

I think hyperspace creates some sort of stargate esque wormhole/subspace tube, (since it does look a little tubbby) that can be detected when scanning subspace.

Comment

We know there is some kind of slower than light particles/gases in hyperspace because of the explusion and reabsorption of hyperspace radiation when a window is opened and closed, so there might be currents/eddies in hyperspace that are disturbed when something travels through hyperspace and long range/hyperspace scanners might track these changes. However, since we know that there are multiple phasing states in Stargate, the energy of the scanners might be surrounded by another hyperspace field to give it a partial phase and let it travel faster than without, as they also track the changes in the hyperspace radiation.

Comment

Odysee wasn't being tracked through hyperspace really it was being followed by a signature given off by the Asgard tech. It has been well established that ships can't ordinarily be tracked through hyperspace and thats why they wanted to disconnect the Asgard tech before making a hyperspace jump, so that they could avoid being tracked.

Does anyone wonder, though, how vasty far away the Ori Galaxy must be? they seem to be able to go to the Asgard Galaxy with their hyper drives but use supergates to get from theirs to ours so does that mean their Galaxy is too far away for even the intergalactic hyperdrives of the Asgard?

Comment

It has actually NOT been established that ships cant be tracked, the polar oppoiste is the case.

Examples:

The Asgaard tracked Hyperspace travel around Earth.
            The Tau'ri were setting up hyperspace tracking stations in season two, in order to detect incoming Goa'uld ships (no word on its success though).

Comment

Sorry yes, I meant it's established that the Ori Can't trak Tau'ri ships through hyperspace, They hadn't found earth yet and it's said in the ep that they can't trak them, I was saying it in response to this.

Plus, the Asgard had the ability to monitor hyperspace traffic around earth (and, presumably, anywhere else they wanted to keep an eye on), so it's only fair to assume that the Ori would have similar technology available to them.
              I'd think though that the 2 things you mentioned:
              The Asgaard tracked Hyperspace travel around Earth.
              The Tau'ri were setting up hyperspace tracking stations in season two, in order to detect incoming Goa'uld ships
              I'd say these things are more to do with traking hyper space windows appearing, and that energy is surely detectable.

Though there are very real examples of traking ships through hyperspace: Atlantis detects all the wraith ships heading towards it.

Comment

Originally posted by fred19 View Post
                Sorry yes, I meant it's established that the Ori Can't trak Tau'ri ships through hyperspace, They hadn't found earth yet and it's said in the ep that they can't trak them, I was saying it in response to this.

I'd think though that the 2 things you mentioned:

I'd say these things are more to do with traking hyper space windows appearing, and that energy is surely detectable.

Though there are very real examples of traking ships through hyperspace: Atlantis detects all the wraith ships heading towards it.
                The Ori know where Earth is already as do they know where every other Milky Way planet is, they are just hesitant to attack it because of the Ancient outpost on Earth.

And Sam mentioned once back in season 2 that Goa'uld ships traveling in hyperspace would leave a "footprint" that they could detect.

Vala,

Comment

And Sam mentioned once back in season 2 that Goa'uld ships traveling in hyperspace would leave a "footprint" that they could detect.
                  Yeah, I'm not saying there's no way to track a ship in hyperspace, i'm saying that the Ori can't track Tau'ri ships, they clearly can't becasue they do stop following the Odysee after the Asgard core is deactivated in 10x20, also it may be safe to assume that Tau'ri tech can't either becasue they didn't know they were being folowed through hyperspce in the same ep.

The Ori know where Earth is already as do they know where every other Milky Way planet is, they are just hesitant to attack it because of the Ancient outpost on Earth.
                  Well if that's true then they may as well have just gone back to earth and not botherd with all the pissing around they did. Even if the Ori can't track them they'd assume they'd take the ship back to Earth, and if they where that determined to destroy it they'd have gone there anyway, and if they weren't and really are worried about being droned to death then they wouldn't have followed them back.

Anyway what makes you think the Ori know where Earth is, they aren't all knowing, they didn't even know that our Galaxy was populated until 2 years ago?

Comment

Yes but wraith have drop out of hyper space to make reguler stops
                    so my guess is thats how they detect incomming wraith ships
                    sigpic

Comment

The Ori originally told their armies where to find SG1, after they found them they were able to track the Asgard core.

Also, to those who said that the Ori wouldn't be able to track a hyperspace ship because it is in another dimension: that's not necessarily true. Ascended beings may be blind to some dimensions, but that doesn't mean they are blind to all of them. Subspace/Hyperspace and our dimensions are likely both under the radar of the Ascended Being's Dimension.

Comment

it is said in one of the earlier episodes from like season one that carter thought of a thing called the seeker project which could detect ships approaching earth while in hyperspace because it leaves some kind of thing in regular space as it passes through. thats the best i can explain it. if anyone can remember the episode, please tell

Comment

I have nothing to say because Calhoun said it all, so thank you Calhoun

Comment

also it may be safe to assume that Tau'ri tech can't either becasue they didn't know they were being folowed through hyperspce in the same ep.
                            I don't know which ship it was that was used, but the one Vala stole in her first appearance had its long range sensors blocked when she got back in the cargo ship and went to hyperspace. Hammond wanted her tracked, but they couldn't do it. On the planet that had the volcano on it about to explode, Caldwell couldn't beam up the last people that were underground because they didn't have Asgard sensors, though they did have Asgard beam tech. So, the best they could do was beam up from the surface, but they did use Asgard sensors to find Merlin's underground cavern, but I don't remember which ship was used. That leaves, earth, Goa'uld and tech from the planet that had humans and the lizard people.

There is also the chance that Ori tech includes hyperspace sensor jamming, though they might have thought that they just needed to make a short jump and they'd loose them.

Edit:

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
                            Have they ever said what it is that lets them do that? A satellite in real space? Traveling hyperspace drones?

Comment

I don't know which ship it was that was used, but the one Vala stole in her first appearance had its long range sensors blocked when she got back in the cargo ship and went to hyperspace. Hammond wanted her tracked, but they couldn't do it. On the planet that had the volcano on it about to explode, Caldwell couldn't beam up the last people that were underground because they didn't have Asgard sensors, though they did have Asgard beam tech. So, the best they could do was beam up from the surface, but they did use Asgard sensors to find Merlin's underground cavern, but I don't remember which ship was used. That leaves, earth, Goa'uld and tech from the planet that had humans and the lizard people.
                              I'm not sure what your point is here but:

It was Prometheus that Vala Comandeerd, and yeah I just watched that bit Hammond asks if they can track it and Walter says: "no sir our long range scanners are being scrambled" so I guess that means they could track it if the sensors where working. but what do you mean about the asgard scanners? and their relavence to the lizzard people?

oh and it was the Deadalus that didn't have the Asgard sensors in Atlantis but I don't think the Odysee and the Korolev do either, Odysee did scan for the cave but using the Scavange Goa'uld/Tau'ri sensors that Prometheus had also, and Korolev picked up Daniel and Cam from the planet later on.

I agree that tracking ships in hyperspace is possible in Stargate but it's also clear that the Ori can't track Tau'ri ships.

Comment

Working...
                              X