This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

supergate to normal gate

This is my first thread here so if its in the wrong place then you can move it.

Anyways, Ive always been wondering what would happen when a normal gate is connected to a supergate and a person walks through the normal gate? Will the person become bigger because of the supergate or will he stay the same size? And also if a ship flies through the super gate, will it come out small at the normal gate or only a small portion of the ship come out?

Thanx
    Company of Thieves

Daniel: You might want to prepare to return fire.

Marks: For the record, Im always prepared. I just have to push this button.

A normal stargate cannot connect to a supergate. The only reason a normal gate is connected to the supergate is cause the wormhole jumped to the supergate. Sending matter through it would not work.

Comment

What about the same principle as the ship on the Tollan gate. Wasn't that smaller? If something went through a normal gate (grazing the edges) would part of it not re-materialize?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeroq View Post
        A normal stargate cannot connect to a supergate. The only reason a normal gate is connected to the supergate is cause the wormhole jumped to the supergate. Sending matter through it would not work.
        But if they cant connect by dialing then why would it jump to the supergate. Wouldnt it jump to the closest normal gate pursumaly (spelling) on another planet?
        Company of Thieves

Daniel: You might want to prepare to return fire.

Marks: For the record, Im always prepared. I just have to push this button.

Comment

Originally posted by Icedragon View Post
          What about the same principle as the ship on the Tollan gate. Wasn't that smaller? If something went through a normal gate (grazing the edges) would part of it not re-materialize?
          I think the interior diameter of the tollan gate was the same, but the rest of it was thinner.
          You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

Comment

Originally posted by Icedragon View Post
            It should be of the exact same size. They would not build a new stargate and make different in size to the millions of other gates around.

As for the supergate, obviously something weird happened. I don't think standard stargates are conceived to compensate for a stargate with a much larger event horizon.

So you end with those possibilities:

1. A connection is impossible. Obviously, this is wrong, because it did happen. Maybe it requires a surge in energy to make this happen.
            2. The wormhole connects, but matter can't be reassembled because of a system error.
            3. The wormhole connects, and the object is reintegrated, and is exactly as big (or small) as when it entered the standard stargate.
            4. The wormhole connects, and the objects is scaled up as it exits the stargate.

Please, let's not have point 4 turn true. Please. Please. Please.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by mikeroq View Post
              But did they ever actually tryto send matter through it? Because if they did then there's an episode i've missed
              And i've always thought that if a wormhole went from a supergate to an ordinary gate then the matter trying to get through would be compressed so it could get through. So you'd have a big long ori mothership but there wouldn't be anyone to fly it because they'd have been crushed.

Anyway, correct me if i'm wrong, -L3W15

Comment

I think only a part of whatever went thought the supergate would come out of the regular stargate one the other end, though I don't know for sure.
                sigpic

My Fanfic

Comment

Oragahn, if point 4 is true then Stargate will lose every bit of credibility it may have, as the gates cannot, no matter how you twist and turn it, create new matter and new matter would have to be created for an object to become larger.

I personally think that the super gate and normal gates are incompatible BUT the reason the supergate could recieve the wormhole is that construction of it is designed to recieve wormholes and thus a forced jump like the one we saw would leave the gate unable to deny the incoming wormhole.

Comment

Remember that matter can only travel one way through a wormhole so in the case we saw there could only be matter going in to the small gate and coming out of the big, I would say that we can assume a connection wouldn't work the other way the small gate would probably reject a connection from a supergate.

An object entering a normal gate would definately come out of the supergate normal sized, remember that the gate is 2 technologies, a modem (moleculeriser - demoleculeriser) and then a phone line (wormhole) matter can't be sent through a wormhole in a structured state and the pattern in wich to rematerialise an object is sent allong with the stream, so the supergate would know exactly how to put the molecules back together.
                    There is an example of this in sg1 -when Sams ancient boyfriend made a gate out of a toaster (amongst over things) and he didn't come out bigger so I think that answers that part.

As for the other way around (if it could happen) I'd say that the gate would recieve the matter stream and the pattern from the supergate, and then do nothing if the object is to big to emerge from the gate, the gate is programmed to make all sorts of executive desicions with regards to reconstituting matter, we know for instance that it won't bother if the pattern is incomplete so in this case i'd say it still won't bother, though I see no reason why an object of the appropriate size wouldn't be reconstituted as normal.

Comment

Originally posted by NATIK View Post
                      Oragahn, if point 4 is true then Stargate will lose every bit of credibility it may have, as the gates cannot, no matter how you twist and turn it, create new matter and new matter would have to be created for an object to become larger.

I personally think that the super gate and normal gates are incompatible BUT the reason the supergate could recieve the wormhole is that construction of it is designed to recieve wormholes and thus a forced jump like the one we saw would leave the gate unable to deny the incoming wormhole.
                      I think the energy surge from the detonating Nuke and Hive Ship fooled the Supergate into thinking that the wormhole was from another Supergate (due to the amount of energy in it).
                      I`m sure the Ori would want to ensure that we could not just dial into a Supergate with a normal gate without taking extreme measures and i`m sure we would've tried so there must be a safeguard to prevent a normal gate from establishing a wormhole with a Supergate.
                      Jumping the wormhole fooled this safeguard so it accepted the wormhole.

Comment

My theory is that something that went through would be torn apart because the atoms would separate to allow the object to come out the same size proportionally, so that you'd be dead.
                        http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9...sigcopy9ie.jpg
                        The Alliance is born!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deadman View Post
                          My theory is that something that went through would be torn apart because the atoms would separate to allow the object to come out the same size proportionally, so that you'd be dead.
                          That would seem the most likely outcome.
                          The drums, the drums, the never ending drumbeat! Open me you human fool! Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty!

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                            It should be of the exact same size. They would not build a new stargate and make different in size to the millions of other gates around.

As for the supergate, obviously something weird happened. I don't think standard stargates are conceived to compensate for a stargate with a much larger event horizon.

So you end with those possibilities:

1. A connection is impossible. Obviously, this is wrong, because it did happen. Maybe it requires a surge in energy to make this happen.
                            2. The wormhole connects, but matter can't be reassembled because of a system error.
                            3. The wormhole connects, and the object is reintegrated, and is exactly as big (or small) as when it entered the standard stargate.
                            4. The wormhole connects, and the objects is scaled up as it exits the stargate.

Please, let's not have point 4 turn true. Please. Please. Please.
                            4 won't happen because of conservation of mass and energy.
                            Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                            The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                            I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                            A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                            That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                            Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                            Caboose: They could be worse?
                            Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master View Post
                              4 won't happen because of conservation of mass and energy.
                              Conservation of mass and energy can't happen because of plot.
                              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Working...
                              X