This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank V.S Staff Weapons

First off. Hi there. I am new to the boards here and the fandom in general. If there is a more proper place to make introductions, then by all means point me in the right direction and they will be done.

Second, I realize that this is a potentially volatile subject here. Having seen other 'V.S' styled threads, I would understand one's apprehension and potential hostility towards this thread. However, I was considering making a story involving the use of a T-54/55 (Or more accurately, a Type 69) that would face off against Jaffa infantry. If anyone wants details, feel free to ask and I will provide what I can for this embryonic story concept...Well, anyway...

As ridiculous as the concept sounds (and trust me, the title of this topic made me cringe at the thought of potential replies), I don't know where else to turn for information regarding this subject. Again, any sources would be much appreciated.

Now passing through all that lilly and lace, the bare bones of the question is as follows: How would a Type 69 Tank fare against fire from Hand-Held Staff weaponry. This question is primarily referring to Hand-Held Staff Weapons of Goa'uld manufacture. Quite obviously, a "Staff Cannon" would probably obliterate such armored vehicles, so it's the general issue Staff Weapon I refer to.

Obviously, there are quite a few variables to consider. What make and model is the tank, whether it includes ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor), 'Vanilla' tank armor or some other form of armor, where the blasts strike...Etc.

And as a final note...Yes. I do realize that supporting a tank via Stargate would likely be a logistics nightmare. However, I am kind of working on Suspension of Disbelief here...And also, if this can all be solved with a simple link or two rather than a long, drawn out discussion, then by all means feel free to post those links, lock this topic and shove it under the proverbial rug. I only wish for accurate information to avoid a potential razing later. However, a discussion would be nice as well.

And also...forgive me, I do tend to ramble...

"(Holding up a Staff Weapon) This is a weapon of terror, it's made to intimidate the enemy. (Holding up a P90) This is a weapon of war, it's made to kill the enemy."
    -Major General Jonathan "Jack" O'Neil
    -From "The Warrior"

Staff Weapons dont even penetrate in the standard ceramic plates on body armour that was used by infantry.

Staff cannons takes a death glider by 1 or 2 shots, a 37 mm single grenade launcher down a death glider.

Tanks are only effective against a Landed Ships..We can use Humvee that has more anti-infantry role that can withstand RPG-7s that is waaay more powerful than the Staff Cannon that gliders used.

A weapon that can penetrate a tank can vaporize a troop.
    Last edited by Gen. Nuke; 23 June 2007, 04:44 PM.

Comment

first WELCOME
      2nd TANKS RULE
      Originally posted by cowpants
      ...you did it. I can't believe you actually did it. I am quite frankly astounded that you did it.

Thanks to you, I now want several mods to start mating with each other. I wanting to see what Moderator procreation will have in store for us.

And I thought that no one could get me to want this.

Congrats Mapp, you are officially the single most disturbed individual on GW.
      Spoiler:

Spoiler:
      Rosilin for pres

Comment

I doubt that even the staff canon would but up to knocking out even older tanks like the ones you're talking about. The only way I could see it happening would be, maybe with a rear armour shot, maybe or maybe also with a track hit aimed at disabling the tank.

Regular staff weapons aren't going to do anything. The tank will terrorize the Jaffa with its machineguns though.

Comment

This has already been talked about a fair bit in this thread,

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=44594

But it was comparison of what an Ori staff weapon against a tank not Goa'uld.

I think a well-placed staff-blast to the tread of a tank could take out its mobility. The staff weapon blasts seem to vary greatly from one episode to another and their current incarnations seem very weak. A large artillery version could probably take out a tank though.
          sigpic

Comment

Why a Type 69 btw and not an M1A2? That'd be so much cooler imo

And yes it actually fits through the gate http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=44655

As for how it would fare I'd see what a staff weapon does to the blast sdhield in the gate room, dunno what ep has it.

Comment

In some of the older episodes (good tealc vs bad tealc) they needed massive staff blasters to get thru the simple interior doors of the base. A modern tank would be tougher than those doors.

Comment

I don't think honestly that even the most powerful personnal jaffa staff (not the heavier variants) can dent a tank armour.

It's effective against organic stuf and burns it (can even completely go through the torso of a jaffa at point blank range), carries a significant KE (an armoured guy could be thrown backwards, like in the film) and could create big explosions (blasting a weakened stone wall on Chulak, or creating large fireballs on Cimmeria).
                But even those wouldn't be enough.
                The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

well just get a jaffa run up to hit and put his staff weapon into the fat turret and shot that would disable the tanks main weapon

a death glider weapon would i think take out a tank

and if there so many jaffa on the ground all have to do is run them over, while they shout 'dragon' 'theres a dragon'!!!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Are the staff weapons on the death gliders the arty variant or the smaller ones? In the movie they look like the smaller ones, but I don't see them not putting the larger ones on, I think they would fit. This would make a difference in whether they could take out a tank or not.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectNintey View Post
                      First off. Hi there. I am new to the boards here and the fandom in general. If there is a more proper place to make introductions, then by all means point me in the right direction and they will be done.

Second, I realize that this is a potentially volatile subject here. Having seen other 'V.S' styled threads, I would understand one's apprehension and potential hostility towards this thread. However, I was considering making a story involving the use of a T-54/55 (Or more accurately, a Type 69) that would face off against Jaffa infantry. If anyone wants details, feel free to ask and I will provide what I can for this embryonic story concept...Well, anyway...

As ridiculous as the concept sounds (and trust me, the title of this topic made me cringe at the thought of potential replies), I don't know where else to turn for information regarding this subject. Again, any sources would be much appreciated.

Now passing through all that lilly and lace, the bare bones of the question is as follows: How would a Type 69 Tank fare against fire from Hand-Held Staff weaponry. This question is primarily referring to Hand-Held Staff Weapons of Goa'uld manufacture. Quite obviously, a "Staff Cannon" would probably obliterate such armored vehicles, so it's the general issue Staff Weapon I refer to.

Obviously, there are quite a few variables to consider. What make and model is the tank, whether it includes ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor), 'Vanilla' tank armor or some other form of armor, where the blasts strike...Etc.

And as a final note...Yes. I do realize that supporting a tank via Stargate would likely be a logistics nightmare. However, I am kind of working on Suspension of Disbelief here...And also, if this can all be solved with a simple link or two rather than a long, drawn out discussion, then by all means feel free to post those links, lock this topic and shove it under the proverbial rug. I only wish for accurate information to avoid a potential razing later. However, a discussion would be nice as well.

And also...forgive me, I do tend to ramble...
                      well as you say it depends on the thickness of the armour but on the main part of the tank (not the treads cos they would most likely be destroyed) wouldn't be effected.

just look at how they work agains the SGC's blast shield in the gateroom. it doesn't seem to do that much damage.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                        In some of the older episodes (good tealc vs bad tealc) they needed massive staff blasters to get thru the simple interior doors of the base. A modern tank would be tougher than those doors.
                        You sure a tank would have stronger armor? Those interior doors are described as blast doors and require two bricks of c4 to get through them. (from the episode where replicators attack the base and Sylar and a few other people get trapped.)

Originally posted by
                        Gen. Nuke
                        Staff cannons takes a death glider by 1 or 2 shots, a 37 mm single grenade launcher down a death glider.
                        Which episode was that?
                        Quacks

Comment

Since this thread is entitled "Tank vs. staff weapons" not staff cannons I'm going to say that a Jaffa staff weapon can't penetrate the armor on a MBT of modern design. Least of all a M1A2 Abrams. I still have confidence it could knock out the tread. But unless you get a ton of staff weapons firing at a tank it isn't going to do much. Although made out of different materials you can see some staff blasts inside Hatak corridors that do absolutely no physical damage whatsoever.
                          sigpic

Comment

Infantry grade staff weapons wouldn't do anything to a World war II medium tank, let alone a modern MBT in a full combat armor kit, with ERA tiles and everything. They could possibly score a mobility kill, but with the staff weapon's lousy accuracy and lack of area effect it'd be quite a feat to hit the tracks right.

A larger staff cannon would have a better chance, probably about the same as an RPG warhead, but it would still not penetrate, unless it's a downward shot from a building's roof at the top of the tank's turret, where the armor is weakest. Sustained fire could cause the tank to heat up though, and that could lead to the crew being forced to leave the tank, or even to spontaneous detonation of the ammunition.

Oh and Gen. Nuke- modern tanks CAN take on aircraft. There are surface-to-air missiles which are launched through the tank's cannon (like the Israeli LAHAT) and can shoot down a helicopter- which means that Death Gliders and Al'kesh could be shot down too.
                            Last edited by Womble; 25 June 2007, 09:59 AM.
                            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Infantry grade staff weapons wouldn't do anything to a World war II medium tank, let alone a modern MBT in a full combat armor kit, with ERA tiles and everything. They could possibly score a mobility kill, but with the staff weapon's lousy accuracy and lack of area effect it'd be quite a feat to hit the tracks right.
                              Yeah scoring a hit to the tracks would be difficult and tricky, not to mention very perrilous because of how close you would probably have to get to be able to hit it with the poor accuracy of the staff weapon.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X