This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancients and the Stargate

I have two questions on the ancients and the stargates.

1) We know that they built them, so is it likely they could activate them without the kawoosh (like the Nox, Asgard and future Earth - i read somewhere that when the ancients died out/ ascended they gave most of there tech to the asgard) so i think they could have. So if they could why don't all gates activate like that? Even if they did it after the system was built id think ones such as the one in Atlantis would.

2) What did they call them? Ive always presumed that Chappa'ai was a goa'uld name and Stargate a Tau'ri name. So am i wrong and its one of the above or did they have there own name for them?

Originally posted by Icedragon View Post
    I have two questions on the ancients and the stargates.

1) We know that they built them, so is it likely they could activate them without the kawoosh (like the Nox, Asgard and future Earth - i read somewhere that when the ancients died out/ ascended they gave most of there tech to the asgard) so i think they could have. So if they could why don't all gates activate like that? Even if they did it after the system was built id think ones such as the one in Atlantis would.
    Not entirely sure how things carry over from sg-1 to atlantis but in atlantis 1x15 Before I Sleep when the ancients activate the stargate they still got the Kawoosh bit.
    "Dying doesn't work in our favour!"

Comment

Maybe they just couldn't be bothered!

It doesn't make any great difference whether the gate has the kawoosh or not, other than activation is a little quicker, but the Ancients weren't exactly an impatient race so I don't think this would really bother them.

Also, there is no evidence that the Ancients gave their tech to Asgard and Nox, this is purely fan speculation. We know the Asgard have a copy of the Ancient Repository so it might be that they found the way to activate the gate sans kawoosh in there and then they shared that info with the Nox before the Alliance completely broke and they got all isolationist.

It is also possible that, as we have never seen the Ancients use the gate sans kawoosh, that it was not them that developed the technology, but the Asgard or the Nox who then shared the technology with each other. The Ancients may have nothing to do with it at all.

Until there is any evidence to the contrary, I would go with the latter statement that the technology isn't Ancient. This explains why they didn't implement it on the Pegasus network, and why we have never found an Ancient device that does it.

Comment

It seems only the Asgard fixed the Kawoosh thing, the Ancients probably didn't see it as a problem.

As for the name, they called them "Astria Porta".

Comment

Atlantis Ancients and Asurans both just call it the stargate as we do.
          "Dying doesn't work in our favour!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nylon View Post
            Atlantis Ancients and Asurans both just call it the stargate as we do.
            They do in the shows at present because we can then understand what they mean. It's easier. But the ancient name for the stargates was 'Astria Porta'

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
              It is also possible that, as we have never seen the Ancients use the gate sans kawoosh, that it was not them that developed the technology, but the Asgard or the Nox who then shared the technology with each other. The Ancients may have nothing to do with it at all.

Until there is any evidence to the contrary, I would go with the latter statement that the technology isn't Ancient. This explains why they didn't implement it on the Pegasus network, and why we have never found an Ancient device that does it.
              I like that idea. As there has been alot of time for races that still live on after the ancients to play with the gates. Hell even the Goa'uld worked out how to active them all at once!
              There4 i would agree that both the Nox and the Agard developed that technology in a post ancient universe. As not even the still active Ori seem to do it! Even on the newly built supergates.
              sigpic
              Banner Made By Me for Me
              The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

The Goa'uld even found a way to use the intergate update software's communications to use a large communication sphere placed inside a stargate to talk over vast distances, without engagin a wormhole.
                Stargates seem to have a few more things to offer with a couple of tweaks.

I just hope that the writers won't rely too much on such exceptions and new functions...
                The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                  The Goa'uld even found a way to use the intergate update software's communications to use a large communication sphere placed inside a stargate to talk over vast distances, without engagin a wormhole.
                  Stargates seem to have a few more things to offer with a couple of tweaks.

I just hope that the writers won't rely too much on such exceptions and new functions...
                  Well, I actually like it when things like these are used, especially by the Ori, because it just goes to show you how someone who knows how to use them well can use them in many creative ways.

Comment

How do you know the stargate had anything to do with the communications device?
                    I'm pretty sure they didn't mention anything about it in the show.
                    I think the only connection between the two was that they were in the same room.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chilapox3 View Post
                      How do you know the stargate had anything to do with the communications device?
                      I'm pretty sure they didn't mention anything about it in the show.
                      I think the only connection between the two was that they were in the same room.
                      I agree. I don't think Apophis' Comm Sphere interacted with the gate at all, it just happened to be in the same room.

Its a shame we don't know how to activate all gates at once as it would give us a few more options.

1. Plan a strategic strike against all Priors and Ori forces that are on the ground. When ready to strike, activate all gates to prevent them from receiving reinforcements.
                      2. If its possible to not activate all gates at once but to dial selected gates from the same source gate then we could use a gate near a black hole to cut off all worlds that have fallen to the Ori from the rest of the Gate network so that the Ori could not travel to those planets by gate, thus making it more difficult to recruit soldiers from these worlds.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on how we could use multi-gate dialling against the Ori?

Comment

Get a ZPM powered prior inhibitor and turn them on while radiating into the gate, so priors on the planets we are gated into cannot use their powers..

Comment

Why did it float in the middle of the stargate then ??

Comment

Perhaps it was made to use a stargate to give it equal anchoring on all sides..

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts, and I doubt the comm device used the gate because none of the hand held ones we see do so, id imagine they'd work the same way. Also what would happen if you stepped through the gate while it was all connected. Will you be duplicated to all gates (like the wave seemed to do), will you come out one random one, or will simply not come out? I'm guessing you wouldn't come out.

Comment

Working...
                              X