Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard tech vs Ancient tech

My bad guys if this has been done before,

There is a thread in this science and tech area which talks about Orion vs the Odyssey the strengths and weaknesses.

Well which tech is better?

Asgard have a strong powerful shield with fast hyperdrives and energy wepons.
    But the Ancients have a even better shield ( In my eye ) good hyperdrives especiallly on Atlantis and drones.

The question is Who did it better, Asgard or Ancients?
    What if we where to combine the two?

Have Asgard hyperdrives, power core, energy wepon and beaming tech, with Ancient shields, cloaking tech and drones.
    A pod on one side full of Jumpers and a pod on the other full of F302's.
    You would have one hell of a killing machine!
    Last edited by StevenCaldwell; 19 June 2007, 07:02 AM.
    This is Colonel Steven Caldwell
    Commander of the Earth ship Daedalus
    we are ready to assist you!

" open up those bays all batteries "

sigpic

This is an inresting one as alot would say the Ancients are better as they built the stargates ect... However the ancients where not great at everything they built and The Asgard have their own advanaced technology that pass some of the ancients. So its kinda hard!

Yes the ancients invented the stargates but if the tollan can make them I am sure the asgard can also build them.

Ok so its VS time.....

Teleportation
    Asgard have Beaming technology which is much better than Ancient Rings.
    +1 for asgard

Galatic movement
    +1 for ancient as they did invent the stargates.

Weapons
    Asgard have powerful beam lasers, anti replicator guns(via ancient tech), and beaming tech for bombs. Ancients have Drones and the Halo style Darakra super weapon. +1 For ancients (if they can jam Asgard the beaming tech)

Hyperspace
    I would say both are equal as they both have advanced intergalactic hyperdrives
    +1 both sides

Ships
    O'Neill class warships vs the Orion is a hard one! But i would say the Orion may just win on strength of sheilds.
    +Ancients

Shields
    As stated above +1 ancients.

Time Travel
    I would say almost equal as although the ancients did have time travel they also had the failed Window of op time loop machine. While the asgard had the great time dilation feilds. Its close but +1 asgard

Technology making devices
    Both have been seen to have technology to make advanced technology out of thin air but the Asgard one seems to work faster and can make Air aswell as food so +1 Asgard

Cloning Tech
    +1 Asgard even if it failed in the end.

Cloaks
    Ancients get a +1 for their PJ cloaks however i am sure that they where smart enough 2 be able 2 cloak atlantis. instead of us working it out.

However the ancients get -1 for inventing the "exsploding cancer Machine" which killed Beckett

so my final scores are....
    Asgard 5 - Ancients 5
    sigpic
    Banner Made By Me for Me
    The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

This is a fun one but the monkey wrench in it is that we know the Asgard have read the ancient databases around the galaxy, so its unclear just how much they owe to the ancients.

Comment

i think that the asgard have much better technoligy than the ancients because most asgard pilot there own ships , eg thor. But you see the ancients in big partys. this means if there ships get destroyed u only loose 1 person but with the ancients tonnes of deaths.

Comment

wouldn't 1 person be able to fly an Ancient ship via the chair? Daniel and Adria each did it with an Ori ship... (very comparable tech)... and who knows what you can do with the chair in Atlantis besides fire drones...

you probably can have 1 person fly an ancient ship, but it's probably less taxing on them to have a crew who does other things...
          Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
          Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
          Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
          Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by cammy989 View Post
            i think that the asgard have much better technoligy than the ancients because most asgard pilot there own ships , eg thor. But you see the ancients in big partys. this means if there ships get destroyed u only loose 1 person but with the ancients tonnes of deaths.
            Actually, both would have big crews. The Asgard decided to limit the crew once the replicators began infiltrating their ships. And you have to remember that the Ancient warships can be controlled from their command chairs.
            Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
            encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
            3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
            4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
              This is an inresting one as alot would say the Ancients are better as they built the stargates ect... However the ancients where not great at everything they built and The Asgard have their own advanaced technology that pass some of the ancients. So its kinda hard!

Yes the ancients invented the stargates but if the tollan can make them I am sure the asgard can also build them.

Ok so its VS time.....

Teleportation
              +1 for asgard
              Nope, Ancients have non-ring beaming tech, as seen in "Avalon, Part 2" (Treasure Room). So I'd give that to the Ancients. Rings AND beaming tech.

+1 for Ancients

Galatic movement
              I'd have to agree there.

Weapons
              Asgard have powerful beam lasers, anti replicator guns(via ancient tech), and beaming tech for bombs. Ancients have Drones and the Halo style Darakra super weapon. +1 For ancients (if they can jam Asgard the beaming tech)
              Also agree. It seems like most Asgard weaponry is based off Ancient designs from the Library of Knowledge.

Hyperspace
              +1 both sides
              From what we've seen, Asgard can cross galaxies in minutes. We have yet to see Ancient vessels move that fast.

So I say +1 Asgard

Ships
              O'Neill class warships vs the Orion is a hard one! But i would say the Orion may just win on strength of sheilds.
              From what we've seen so far, the Ancient warships have a LOT of firepower. We have yet to see an O'Neill actually win a fight (self-destruct doesn't count)

+1 Ancients

Shields
              Agreed. Atlantis' shield is incredible.

Time Travel
              I would say almost equal as although the ancients did have time travel they also had the failed Window of op time loop machine. While the asgard had the great time dilation feilds. Its close but +1 asgard
              I'd give one to both. The Asgard could stall time, but the Ancients could actually travel through it ("Moebius" and "Before I Sleep"). And if you argue for the Asgard using
              Spoiler:
              Unending, it's Carter that figures it out alone.
              So I'd give that to the Ancients, on second thought. Being able to reverse time, I'm sure they could also stall it.

+1 Ancients

Both have been seen to have technology to make advanced technology out of thin air but the Asgard one seems to work faster and can make Air aswell as food so +1 Asgard
              Agreed. We havn't seen an Ancient synthesizer yet.

Cloning Tech
              Agreed. But I don't think that's fair seeing as we havn't seen if the Ancients ever cloned anything.

Cloaks
              Ancients get a +1 for their PJ cloaks however i am sure that they where smart enough 2 be able 2 cloak atlantis. instead of us working it out.
              Agreed.

However the ancients get -1 for inventing the "exsploding cancer Machine" which killed Beckett
              DEFINATE agreed.

Asgard 3 - Ancients 8
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post

Ok so its VS time.....

Teleportation
                +1 for asgard

Galatic movement

Weapons

Hyperspace
                +1 both sides

Ships
                +Ancients

Shields

Time Travel

Cloning Tech

Cloaks

Asgard 5 - Ancients 5

Nice observations, here are some you missed or might have forgot about,

Life-sustaining abilities
                Ancients have suspended animation which can sustain life for thousands of years +1

Personal Defense Shields
                Ancients had at least a prototype that was very strong
                +1

Unmanned weapons
                Ancient Satellite
                +1

Nanotech/Replicator and anti-replicator technology
                Ancients +1

Research in sentients and ascension(life altering-immortality?)
                Ancients +1

City Building,
                Ancients had large intergalatic space cities
                +1

Galactic and Intergalactic Alliances
                +1 both sides

Positive advancement of life in Universe
                -1 and +1 for Ancients and +1 for Asgard

Energy and Resources
                +1 Ancients for ZPM and Geothermal

Holotech Communications
                Both had holotech +1 both sides

Galactic and Intergalactic Enemies
                Wraith and Ori for Ancients
                Goa'uld and Replicators for Asgard
                hard to say about even

Personal Defense weapons
                Neither side seemed big into this, hard to say

Portable Tech
                Ancients have life-sign scanners
                +1 Ancients

Knowledge Repositories, Facilities, cities, outposts, ruins
                +1 Ancients

So far the Ancients seem ahead to me.
                sigpic

Comment

I made a massive comparison document, but it doesnt work and is like 30mb's..But i think mecha got it pretty right. Im a firm believer that the Asgard, in some areas are more advanced than the Ancients. Their holographics, communication, hyperdrives and sensors are more advanced IMO. Beaming technology i on the level of the Ancients and i think their shields, given an equal power source are at the same level. Im pretty sure that if the Asgard got three ZPM's pumping through thier shields, it would be as powerful as atlantis. Or if the deadalus shields got hooked up to atlantis so they could have shields and cloak. They would be pretty much as powerful. I think both asgard and ancient shields are the same as each other on a technological basis. The only reason the ancients were more powerful is because thier supporting technology was more advanced, they had better power sources and energy transfer systems.
                  sigpic
                  You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                  Stargate : Genesis |
                  Original Starship DesignThread
                  Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                  11000! green me

Comment

No doubt they both have strengths and weaknesses. Disregard pretty much all of their tech and I think one thing puts the Ancients above the Asgard. The Asgard could only prolong their life so long with their cloning technology.
                    Spoiler:
                    Now they are gone.

The Ancients however found the way to immortality and vast powers that are far beyond any physical technology and corporeal world. Really they have limitless power now.
                    sigpic

Comment

Don't forget about the Ancient healing device that Anubis had that was the basis of sarcophogus tech and Kull warriors. If the Asgard had that they might have been able to easily repair themselves from what we know the device can do. Then there is that Ancient mind-probe thing that Anubis used on Thor, he had so much tech from Ancient sources.
                      sigpic

Comment

The Asgard got most of their knowledge of science and technology from the Lanteans. From there they improved on some aspects, and made some serious blunders with others (like their genetics research).

There is no victor in this contest.
                        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Genius_McKay View Post
                          No doubt they both have strengths and weaknesses. Disregard pretty much all of their tech and I think one thing puts the Ancients above the Asgard. The Asgard could only prolong their life so long with their cloning technology.
                          Spoiler:
                          Now they are gone.

The Ancients however found the way to immortality and vast powers that are far beyond any physical technology and corporeal world. Really they have limitless power now.
                          Limitless power unless it involves the physical plane of existence.

Comment

I thought that most if not all of the Asgard technology is devived from the Ancients?

Comment

i thought the Asgard advanced on their own... it would account for such things as beaming instead of rings... etc... besides, if the tech was derived from the ancients, then they would have been able to create the anti-replicator guns themselves
                              Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                              Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                              Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                              Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X