This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intergalactic Travel

Okay, so we've seen the difficulties in travelling between one galaxy and the next; namely, power, time, etc etc.

However, we've already seen (in season 4) a way to travel to a completely different galaxy in a matter of seconds.

Here's a potential way to travel to Pegasus / the Ori home galaxy in a matter of seconds: plot a course, and align yourself between a star and your destination, detonate the star, and then jump into hyperspace, the supernova shockwave pushing the velocity of the traveller past standard hyperspace into that trippy "green" Hyperspace corridor, and thus travelling millions of light years in a matter of seconds.

Return travel would be a reverse of the forwards journey. With a sufficiently powerful shield (such as the Odyssey with its ZPM driving the shield), there would be little to no risk involved either, since the ship never comes into direct contact with the blast wave.

That seems a tad wasteful.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Well I know there are a lot of stars but I have to agree with jds1982 it is a waste plus we would have to find stars that aren't being used and then its hard to aim and not how much power is needed so its a little tough to actually do that
      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
      A Face you Can Trust
      sigpic
      So whats the worst that could happen?
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

uhhhh what happened in season 4 was completely random. They plotted a course one way and got knocked a couple million light years in the other direction. seems not only wasteful but downright dangerous. Also... blowing up stars everytiem we wanna go somewhere could have really bad side effects in the future, couldn't it?
        www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
          uhhhh what happened in season 4 was completely random. They plotted a course one way and got knocked a couple million light years in the other direction. seems not only wasteful but downright dangerous. Also... blowing up stars everytiem we wanna go somewhere could have really bad side effects in the future, couldn't it?
          Not really, they just got pushed to a higher velocity along their current path (so in the right direction).

And I suppose you could say it's a bit extreme, but I'm not suggesting they use this for REGULAR travel, just to travel immense distances without the use of a ZPM. There are millions of stars in our own galaxy alone, I doubt one near the outskirts would be missed much tbh.

Comment

Your purely speculating on that. You have no idea where they were actually headed when they got thrown off course. Regardless, the fact is, they were thrown wildly off course. Also, they were actually IN hyperspace when this effected them, which means it wasn't the explosion itself, but some sort of subspace shockwave.
            As far as side effects, there are theories that say a gamma ray burst could have been responsible for wiping out the dinosaurs. This results from two massive stars colliding and basically exploding. Blowing up stars probably shouldn't be on our list of things to do.
            www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Working...
            X