Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O'Neill's power source in "Fifth Race"- an improvised ZPM?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O'Neill's power source in "Fifth Race"- an improvised ZPM?

So I've watched "The Fifth Race" again, and had a thought. When O'Neill needs to dial out to the Asgard homeworld, he uses a power crystal from a staff weapon and a pile of electrical parts found around the base to build this weird device that supplies enough power to the gate for an intergalactic dial and maintains the wormhole for a good few minutes. When he was done, the power was depleted- but the device itself was very much there and avaliable for study. Moreover, if the power crystal was replaced, perhaps the device could work again. So... Why can't they replicate it, or at the very least send the original one to Atlantis along with a box of power crystals (they should be plentiful now, seeing how many Goa'uld weapons have been captured over ten years) to act as a ZPM substitute in emergencies?
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

unfortunately the original one is now in an alternate reality and i'm assuming that the security tapes are a little limited in details to tell you how to construct one from scratch.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

This gets brought up to much

Comment

In "Point of View" the Carters were able to figure out how the device worked and successfully "recharge" it and make it work again. It works on the same principal as the Mark II naquadah generators, operates in a state of barely controlled overload to supply almost ZPM-level power, but only for a very short time. It wouldn't be able to power Atlantis, there's no way it would last long enough. Also, I doubt that it puts out anywhere near the power of a ZPM. It was enough (barely) to dial the gate in the Asgard galaxy for a short time (which is all O'neill needed it to do). It wasn't intended to serve the full functions a ZPM is capable of.

Comment

but guys when o'neill has the ancient knowlage hw made blue prints to this zpm wanna be so we could make one if we could figure it out

Comment

Originally posted by lantean_god View Post
            but guys when o'neill has the ancient knowlage hw made blue prints to this zpm wanna be so we could make one if we could figure it out
            That's true at least it gives you a basis to start on, a pretty good one at that. In addition I wonder how far ahead his DHD shematics put the SGC in understanding that device.

I forgot when did that device get lost to an alternate reality?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Genius_McKay View Post
              That's true at least it gives you a basis to start on, a pretty good one at that. In addition I wonder how far ahead his DHD shematics put the SGC in understanding that device.

I forgot when did that device get lost to an alternate reality?
              the episode was on sci fi maybe 2 days ago... forget the name, but it is unsure whether they left it there or not, as they did regain control of the base, pretty sure they wouldnt have left it behind
              deviantArt

Favorite

Newest

Comment

it wasnt a ZPM and wouldnt match Atlantis's powersystems. Both Carters in window of opportunity had a hard time figuring out how to make it work again, and it seems its beyond us what else was needed to make it. Even if we could replicate another and get it to work on Atlantis it's only going to give a temporary boost im power and then die quite quickly.
                Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Well they could use it at earth or atlantis for a quick jump to either earth or altantis and not waste power going back and forth I mean its not the worst idea but its not the best idea either
                  Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                  A Face you Can Trust
                  sigpic
                  So whats the worst that could happen?
                  Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                  It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by theboywonder View Post
                    the episode was on sci fi maybe 2 days ago... forget the name, but it is unsure whether they left it there or not, as they did regain control of the base, pretty sure they wouldnt have left it behind
                    Thanks!
                    sigpic

Comment

It wasn't, mainly because it used the Naqahdah fuel cell from the staff weapon instead of vacuum energy.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                        It wasn't, mainly because it used the Naqahdah fuel cell from the staff weapon instead of vacuum energy.

Vala,
                        Well seeing as it is explicitly stated that the power cell in a staff weapon dose not have enough power to open a gate between two very close planets (the Torment of Tantalus, season one episode ten) it would have to be much more than that. Possibly say, using it to kick-start some kind of limited vacuum energy device.

Comment

Originally posted by Quezovercoatl View Post
                          Well seeing as it is explicitly stated that the power cell in a staff weapon dose not have enough power to open a gate between two very close planets (the Torment of Tantalus, season one episode ten) it would have to be much more than that. Possibly say, using it to kick-start some kind of limited vacuum energy device.
                          I belive that was implied in the state of shooting the gate with the staff weapon to build up power, not to take out the liquid Naqahdah cell. IT WAS NEVER INTENDED IN ANY WAY AT ALL TO BE A ZPM! I wish people would stop thinking that! It's just like the Mark II Naqahdah generators, it works on some sort of barely controled overload state.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Quezovercoatl View Post
                            No, I don't think so. It would take a lot more work to produce a vacuum energy device. It may have been more like a super RTG (radioactive thermal generator) extracting all the energy of rapidly decaying naquada.
                            Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                            The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                            I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                            A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                            That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                            Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                            Caboose: They could be worse?
                            Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                              IT WAS NEVER INTENDED IN ANY WAY AT ALL TO BE A ZPM! I wish people would stop thinking that! It's just like the Mark II Naqahdah generators, it works on some sort of barely controled overload state.
                              You are (all of you) missing the point. Of course it wasn't a ZPM per se. It didn't use vacuum energy, and it wasn't designed for sustained operation. BUT it was, without a doubt, a ZPM substitute which was capable of briefly opening a wormhole to another galaxy. The Atlantis expedition in Season 1 struggled like hell to contact Earth and was overjoyed when McKay managed to open a wormhole for 1.4 seconds so that they could broadcast an emergency message. O'Neill's power source sustained a wormhole to another galaxy for several minutes, which was enough to send a man through. For use in emergencies it would have been ideal.
                              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Working...
                              X