This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the Beta Gate

I just recently started watching stargate. My friend got me into it and I noticed something that is going to keep bugging me until I get an answer about it. I dont care about spoilers or anything like that

Also, I suppose there are spoilers below if you havnt seen past season 4

Anyways, what was bugging me about the Beta Gate was it's Point of Origin Symbol.

Carter assumed they were on an alien world because of the obvious situation and that the gate had a different PoO Symbol,

That was the PoO Symbol

However after the Alpha Gate goes down with Thor's ship in "Nemesis". SGC unpacks the Beta Gate to continue the operation. But for some reason, after this point, when they show the Gate or the dialing computer, it shows the Alpha Gate's PoO symbol instead.

Is this just an oversight on the show's part or am I missing something?

The reason that the Beta Gate has the same PoO as the original gate when installed at the SGC is... it's the same prop, and the producers didn't think to update it for the start of season 4 (or they couldn't afford to).

The show never addressed the issue, but I guess it's possible that the SGC changed the Beta Gate's point-of-origin symbol themselves. Why they would do that, however, I couldn't say.
    Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

What's MORE confusing, is how in gods name Ra managed to change the point of origin symbol on the gate in the first place; or, if there ever was a gate with that symbol, created by the Alterrans, where the hell did it come from? And if they DIDN'T build it, does that mean that the Goa'uld were sufficiently advanced to build their own gates?

I mean, we already know that they can build ring platforms...

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
        What's MORE confusing, is how in gods name Ra managed to change the point of origin symbol on the gate in the first place; or, if there ever was a gate with that symbol, created by the Alterrans, where the hell did it come from? And if they DIDN'T build it, does that mean that the Goa'uld were sufficiently advanced to build their own gates?

I mean, we already know that they can build ring platforms...
        Ra brought a gate from another planet to Earth when he discovered it, that is already established. The PoO's being different isnt an issue as gates can be reprogrammed, the PoO's arent static values, they are variables and merely represent the gates location in space.

Comment

Originally posted by NATIK View Post
          Ra brought a gate from another planet to Earth when he discovered it, that is already established. The PoO's being different isnt an issue as gates can be reprogrammed, the PoO's arent static values, they are variables and merely represent the gates location in space.
          I meant the physical etching on the gate. It's not exactly in matching style to the other glyphs present on other stargates, including PoO glyphs on other planets.

Nor is Ra's "Earth" PoO present on ANY DHD out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
            The reason that the Beta Gate has the same PoO as the original gate when installed at the SGC is... it's the same prop, and the producers didn't think to update it for the start of season 4 (or they couldn't afford to).

The show never addressed the issue, but I guess it's possible that the SGC changed the Beta Gate's point-of-origin symbol themselves. Why they would do that, however, I couldn't say.
            I don't see how the SGC could replace a symbol on the gate, maybe a chevron if they are lucky(and I doubt this), just think of how hard removing a piece of the gate would be.

I just think it is an error in the show.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
              I meant the physical etching on the gate. It's not exactly in matching style to the other glyphs present on other stargates, including PoO glyphs on other planets.

Nor is Ra's "Earth" PoO present on ANY DHD out there.
              I thought the PoO was unique on each gate. Which is why they recognize it so fast. Along the thought process of "Never seen that symbol before, must be the PoO" All the other symbols mark constelations in space, the PoO is unique to represent the Gate itself. Atleast, that's what I've come to understand.

As for Ra making the symbol for the Alpha gate's PoO, That's incorrect. When Jack gains the knowledge of the ancients, he reads some of the symbols on the gate in their language and one of the ones he reads is the earth's PoO symbol

Remember, the gate on Apophis's ship worked while it was around the Goa'uld world but stopped working when it was in deep space. But as soon as it got close enough to earth it started working again by using earth as a PoO.

Comment

Originally posted by IceFire2050 View Post
                I thought the PoO was unique on each gate. Which is why they recognize it so fast. Along the thought process of "Never seen that symbol before, must be the PoO" All the other symbols mark constelations in space, the PoO is unique to represent the Gate itself. Atleast, that's what I've come to understand.

As for Ra making the symbol for the Alpha gate's PoO, That's incorrect. When Jack gains the knowledge of the ancients, he reads some of the symbols on the gate in their language and one of the ones he reads is the earth's PoO symbol

Remember, the gate on Apophis's ship worked while it was around the Goa'uld world but stopped working when it was in deep space. But as soon as it got close enough to earth it started working again by using earth as a PoO.

Yeah I'm pretty sure all of the PoO are different for each gate. Now the rest of the symbols may be the same depending on what galaxy your in. I'm sure the symbols on the gate to Atlantis are different, because they would be working off of different star constellations.
                sigpic

Comment

Ive always seen it as the PoO's can also be co - ordinites. So both gates had our PoO on them. Im 99% sure its been established no gate as evey co-ord on it, so no gate can dial every where.

Comment

Working...
                  X