Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion/Endymion/Rise of Endymion (Dan Simmons)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion/Endymion/Rise of Endymion (Dan Simmons)

Has anyone read any of these, i am currently on Endymion, and they are really good. if anyone has, please start a discussion on them.
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

I love Dan Simmons, and just finished reading, "The Terror". When you finish The 4 Hyperion/Endymion books, go on to Ilium and Olympos (Ilium is the first). Excellent! The Terror is his latest and he takes a true event - the Franklin expedition, which was lost trying to find the northern passage - and he puts a scifi/mystic spin to it. I really enjoyed it.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
      I love Dan Simmons, and just finished reading, "The Terror". When you finish The 4 Hyperion/Endymion books, go on to Ilium and Olympos (Ilium is the first). Excellent! The Terror is his latest and he takes a true event - the Franklin expedition, which was lost trying to find the northern passage - and he puts a scifi/mystic spin to it. I really enjoyed it.
      read them already, I read the 2 hyperion books first then ilium/olympos then went onto the endymion omnibus, i'll have to look out for "the terror" i have a couple of book lined up for after i finish endymion, by alastair reynolds and book 6 of the saga of 7 suns by kevin j anderson, but the terror sounds good.

have you heard that both the hyperion series and the ilium series have had their rights bought to make movies! imagine that.
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

I vaguely remember reading them a few years ago and recall I really liked them but that's all I can remember - nothing about the storyline at all.

They are in my loft at the moment, I think I need to get them down and read them again.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
          I vaguely remember reading them a few years ago and recall I really liked them but that's all I can remember - nothing about the storyline at all.

They are in my loft at the moment, I think I need to get them down and read them again.
          it's worth it, if you really cant remember the storyline, and like FP says, look out for Ilium/Olympos by Dan Simmons too.

i love the way dan writes and uses inspiration of old literature like Keats, Shakespear, and Homer, and references quotes and verses from poems and stuff.
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          Quotes!
          sigpic

Comment

I read those books a few years back and really enjoyed them. Simmons has a real talent for creating unique and interesting worlds.

Ilium and Olympos are also great books though perhaps not quite as good as the others but near enough to not make a difference

Comment

Working...
            X