Space: Above and Beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space: Above and Beyond

Hey, LoneStar1836 just reminded me, in a recent post, about Space: Above and Beyond, which I thought was a good show. Sci-fi in the US played it a few years back,but of course, they got rid of it to make room for more of its original trash.

Does anyone know a lot about Space: Above and Beyond? I know the one thing I didn't like about the show was the characters; they were too stupid and immature acting for space marines, but I did like the aliens (chigs), and the AI robots were pretty cool. I remember one AI was played by David Duchovny (Mulder from X-files.).

Too bad the second season got cancelled.

Comment

I saw this show, thought it was ok but nothing more.

Comment

Loved SAaB to pieces. One of my all-time favorite series. I've met most of the actors from it, too, and written to another.

The Kull Warriors always remind me of Chigs. Every time I see pics of them, "Chig!" is the first thing I think, followed by, "Oh... No, wrong show." hehe

I didn't think the Marines were "too stupid and immature", I thought they were fairly realistic, especially considering their training got kinda rushed at the end in order to shove 'em off into space to fight the nasty aliens.

Fave character was Elroy-EL, the AI who tortured Wang Paul. But then, I'm a sick and twisted person.

Comment

Never got to see many episodes, but I liked what I did see...

Comment

i enjoyed it. think i may even have some eps on tape, if the tapes are still good.

it was a good, classic show.

and yep, the kull's look a LOT like a chig. said that the first time a saw one
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              Loved SAaB to pieces. One of my all-time favorite series. I've met most of the actors from it, too, and written to another.

The Kull Warriors always remind me of Chigs. Every time I see pics of them, "Chig!" is the first thing I think, followed by, "Oh... No, wrong show." hehe

I didn't think the Marines were "too stupid and immature", I thought they were fairly realistic, especially considering their training got kinda rushed at the end in order to shove 'em off into space to fight the nasty aliens.

Fave character was Elroy-EL, the AI who tortured Wang Paul. But then, I'm a sick and twisted person.
              Hey, you're right, the Kulls do look a lot like the Chigs! That is so cool. Good call! Didn't the AI's have weird, cross-hair kinda pupils? Do you know more about the chigs? I wonder if there are any DVDs/Tapes available. I think it was only the one season, so there probably aren't that many episodes.

Comment

Ya, Elroy-L was the AI that sided with the Chigs I think. Weird relationship. I wonder if the Chigs really knew that the AIs were not humans. I know, I know...stupid question, but it can't hurt to ask...so do you think they knew the AIs were androids/robots/whatever they were?

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                  Hey, you're right, the Kulls do look a lot like the Chigs! That is so cool. Good call! Didn't the AI's have weird, cross-hair kinda pupils? Do you know more about the chigs? I wonder if there are any DVDs/Tapes available. I think it was only the one season, so there probably aren't that many episodes.
                  The AI's did have crosshair eyes, yes. I wanted a pair of contacts like that so badly I actually emailed one of the lens FX companies to see if they could make them. They said they could, but cautioned it would be an additional price. I eventually decided not to bother, but when I checked the site a few years later, darned if they hadn't added crosshairs to their stock. Not quite as cool and scary as the ones on SAaB, though. I think those myst have been sclera, 'cause you don't see the iris in the middle of the eye.

There's only one season and I know various fans can dub sets of tapes (and possibly DVDs) but there is nothing official and probably never will be. I know it was mentioned last year that they MIGHT make DVDs, but I think they opted not to. Curse them! There are twentysomething episodes and I watched them all in two sittings, once. What a kickass series. And that finale is now my personal standard by which I judge all other finales. I think only Now & Again and Millennium S2 have come close to matching it and neither was as personally gut-wrenching to watch as the SAaB finale.

I wonder if the Chigs really knew that the AIs were not humans. I know, I know...stupid question, but it can't hurt to ask...so do you think they knew the AIs were androids/robots/whatever they were?
                  Interesting question. I'm inclined to think they do because it'd be hard for the AIs to hide their inhumanity when they keep making modem chirping noises and spilling out wire and plastic guts when they get shot. The chigs were pretty smart when it comes to humans. And remember, they were winning the war.

Comment

The AI's did have crosshair eyes, yes. I wanted a pair of contacts like that so badly I actually emailed one of the lens FX companies to see if they could make them. They said they could, but cautioned it would be an additional price. I eventually decided not to bother, but when I checked the site a few years later, darned if they hadn't added crosshairs to their stock. Not quite as cool and scary as the ones on SAaB, though. I think those myst have been sclera, 'cause you don't see the iris in the middle of the eye.

There's only one season and I know various fans can dub sets of tapes (and possibly DVDs) but there is nothing official and probably never will be. I know it was mentioned last year that they MIGHT make DVDs, but I think they opted not to. Curse them! There are twentysomething episodes and I watched them all in two sittings, once. What a kickass series. And that finale is now my personal standard by which I judge all other finales. I think only Now & Again and Millennium S2 have come close to matching it and neither was as personally gut-wrenching to watch as the SAaB finale.

Interesting question. I'm inclined to think they do because it'd be hard for the AIs to hide their inhumanity when they keep making modem chirping noises and spilling out wire and plastic guts when they get shot. The chigs were pretty smart when it comes to humans. And remember, they were winning the war.
                    Right again. It seems like you're always right! I remember the finale well.....
                    S
                    P
                    O
                    I
                    L
                    E
                    R
                    When the Chig takes off his/her/its mask and it's the same type of alien the marines encountered in the nursery/cave on that moon, I freaked out. I wasn't sure if it was the same alien, but it sure surprised me. Then, when the alien said Aerotech, the big bad corporation that pushed the settlements into Chig territority, knew of the Chig breeding grounds but didn't care, I was surprised. You know it's good when you are actually surprised by a finale, not "ya, I knew that was gonna happen."

I tried to get slit-like contacts once to have "V" alien eyes, if you remember that series from the 80s. Sci-fi played it a few years ago. The mini-series was cool but the tv series sucked. Anyway, I almost got the contacts but didn't have the $$$ so I gave up on it.

Comment

You're probably better off. Dunno if you saw my post(s) about Steve's eyes in Atlantis, but FX lenses generally don't stay aligned properly. The slitted pupils will look perfect until you blink, then the lens will shift a little and your pupils will suddenly be more like / than |

I remember V well. Another good series. LOVED Willie. I think that's partly why I could never take Freddy Krueger seriously. I just kept picturing him saying, "Nice mousie!"

I'm wrong loads of times. Stick around and you'll see for yourself.

The unmasked chigs actually look a bit like unmasked kull warriors, too. I wonder if they had some of the same makeup/props guys.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                        Hey, LoneStar1836 just reminded me, in a recent post, about Space: Above and Beyond, which I thought was a good show. Sci-fi in the US played it a few years back,but of course, they got rid of it to make room for more of its original trash.

Does anyone know a lot about Space: Above and Beyond? I know the one thing I didn't like about the show was the characters; they were too stupid and immature acting for space marines, but I did like the aliens (chigs), and the AI robots were pretty cool. I remember one AI was played by David Duchovny (Mulder from X-files.).
                        Like I said on the other thread, I have limited memory of the series because I didn’t originally watch it when it first aired and then saw it maybe once or twice through during its rotation on SciFi. (To be interpreted as I can’t remember specifics unless you remind me.) I liked the main characters. Hawkes the most I guess. What mostly sticks out in my mind is Col. McQueen and his hard ass Marine attitude, yet he still cared for the squadron members under it all. Kind of Jack-like I guess. Maybe I think of him first because of the name McQueen and immediately think Steve McQueen. Maybe Shepard on SGA liked Steve McQueen and that’s why he named Steve Steve. Maybe Steve’s captivity reminded him of scenes in The Great Escape. (My favorite McQueen movie.) Okay back on topic.

I remember that one with Duchovny. Creepy eyes. And now that y'all remind me, I agree that the kull warriors remind me of the Chigs. Someone on the SG-1 production must have liked S:AaB also.

Damn them for canceling it. I’m with Shadow in that the episode that really does stick with me is the season finally. It was a powerful cliffhanger with them left drifting in space. Didn’t West find his girlfriend only then to sacrifice himself and drift away in the incapacitated part of the ship with one of the other that was injured or was that Hawkes? And didn’t somebody die? I told you my memory was bad. They really need to put this on DVD so that when I eventually buy a DVD player I can first: Buy all the seasons of SG-1 and Farscape. Then this short lived, but good while it lasted series so I can remember exactly why it was so good.

I remember V well. Another good series. LOVED Willie. I think that's partly why I could never take Freddy Krueger seriously. I just kept picturing him saying, "Nice mousie!"
                        I was five when this aired in '83, IIRC, and it scarred the **** out of me at night when I went to bed for some reason, but I watched it anyway. I think it was the part when she had the alien baby and the half alien/human baby that really scarred me into thinking that alien baby was going to get me from under the bed. (That was in the mini-series and not the tv series right?) Yeah I know that's stupid now that i think about it, but I was 5 going on 6 the next year. Of course seeing that scene now gives me a good chuckle at the so sophisticated SFX. I saw it again in later years but not anytime recently, but I liked the mini series. Can't recall the tv series. Probably watched it but again I don't remember if i did or didn't. My fixation during those years was the old series "Airwolf" where the two guys flew the secret helicopter they hid in the mountain. That I do remember. It was on the night in '84 when we had to go to the hospital for the birth of my sister, and for some weird reason I remember that.
                        Last edited by LoneStar1836; 31 August 2004, 10:38 AM. Reason: typo
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

SAaB finale discussion

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                          I’m with Shadow in that the episode that really does stick with me is the season finally. It was a powerful cliffhanger with them left drifting in space. Didn’t West find his girlfriend only then to sacrifice himself and drift away in the incapacitated part of the ship with one of the other that was injured or was that Hawkes? And didn’t somebody die? I told you my memory was bad.
                          Close, but not quite.
                          Wang was the one left drifting off into space. A chig ship was approaching and he was firing madly at it and giving a yell that would have done Sgt. Bougus proud.

Vansen and Phousse were crashing towards the surface of the Chig nesting world, I think.

McQueen was shipped off to Earth (or somewhere), grievously wounded and missing a leg.

West was briefly reunited with his POW girfriend, who changed the message on his dogtag to read "I believe in ALL you!" before being rushed off out of the war zone.

It ended with a shattered West and Hawkes, alone, taking one least moment to sit in the team's bunkroom before removing the personal effects of their "lost" teammates in order to make room for the new recruits/transfers.

The producers, Morgan & Wong, have gone on record as saying that despite appearances, everyone LIVES.

I've always thought Stargate should end like that. Unfortunately, I don't think the show is really geared towards that kind of finale. *sigh* It would be spectacular, though...

Comment

S2 was supposed to be about finding the others so yes they were alive =)

Comment

You're probably better off. Dunno if you saw my post(s) about Steve's eyes in Atlantis, but FX lenses generally don't stay aligned properly. The slitted pupils will look perfect until you blink, then the lens will shift a little and your pupils will suddenly be more like / than |

I'm wrong loads of times. Stick around and you'll see for yourself.

The unmasked chigs actually look a bit like unmasked kull warriors, too. I wonder if they had some of the same makeup/props guys.
                              Hey, Shadow, Steve's eyes in SGA (well, the Wraiths' eyes period) look sorta like the "V" eyes, but their eyes were reddish/yellow with black slits, whereas Steve's looked sorta greenish/yellowish with black slits. or am I remembering wrong? Anyway, you're right again -- about the Chigs and unmasked Kulls, except the Chigs had weird mouths...almost like an insect or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X