PDA

View Full Version : Space: Above and Beyond

LordAnubis
August 30th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Hey, LoneStar1836 just reminded me, in a recent post, about Space: Above and Beyond, which I thought was a good show. Sci-fi in the US played it a few years back,but of course, they got rid of it to make room for more of its original trash.

Does anyone know a lot about Space: Above and Beyond? I know the one thing I didn't like about the show was the characters; they were too stupid and immature acting for space marines, but I did like the aliens (chigs), and the AI robots were pretty cool. I remember one AI was played by David Duchovny (Mulder from X-files.).

:eek:

aAnubiSs
August 30th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Too bad the second season got cancelled.

Wyrminarrd
August 30th, 2004, 05:43 PM
I saw this show, thought it was ok but nothing more.

ShadowMaat
August 30th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Loved SAaB to pieces. One of my all-time favorite series. I've met most of the actors from it, too, and written to another. ;)

The Kull Warriors always remind me of Chigs. Every time I see pics of them, "Chig!" is the first thing I think, followed by, "Oh... No, wrong show." hehe

I didn't think the Marines were "too stupid and immature", I thought they were fairly realistic, especially considering their training got kinda rushed at the end in order to shove 'em off into space to fight the nasty aliens. ;)

Fave character was Elroy-EL, the AI who tortured Wang Paul. But then, I'm a sick and twisted person. :D

Major Fischer
August 30th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Never got to see many episodes, but I liked what I did see...

Skydiver
August 30th, 2004, 06:32 PM
i enjoyed it. think i may even have some eps on tape, if the tapes are still good.

it was a good, classic show.

and yep, the kull's look a LOT like a chig. said that the first time a saw one :)

LordAnubis
August 30th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Loved SAaB to pieces. One of my all-time favorite series. I've met most of the actors from it, too, and written to another. ;)

The Kull Warriors always remind me of Chigs. Every time I see pics of them, "Chig!" is the first thing I think, followed by, "Oh... No, wrong show." hehe

I didn't think the Marines were "too stupid and immature", I thought they were fairly realistic, especially considering their training got kinda rushed at the end in order to shove 'em off into space to fight the nasty aliens. ;)

Fave character was Elroy-EL, the AI who tortured Wang Paul. But then, I'm a sick and twisted person. :D
Hey, you're right, the Kulls do look a lot like the Chigs! That is so cool. Good call! Didn't the AI's have weird, cross-hair kinda pupils? Do you know more about the chigs? I wonder if there are any DVDs/Tapes available. I think it was only the one season, so there probably aren't that many episodes.

LordAnubis
August 30th, 2004, 07:20 PM

Ya, Elroy-L was the AI that sided with the Chigs I think. Weird relationship. I wonder if the Chigs really knew that the AIs were not humans. I know, I know...stupid question, but it can't hurt to ask...so do you think they knew the AIs were androids/robots/whatever they were?

ShadowMaat
August 30th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Hey, you're right, the Kulls do look a lot like the Chigs! That is so cool. Good call! Didn't the AI's have weird, cross-hair kinda pupils? Do you know more about the chigs? I wonder if there are any DVDs/Tapes available. I think it was only the one season, so there probably aren't that many episodes.
The AI's did have crosshair eyes, yes. I wanted a pair of contacts like that so badly I actually emailed one of the lens FX companies to see if they could make them. They said they could, but cautioned it would be an additional price. I eventually decided not to bother, but when I checked the site a few years later, darned if they hadn't added crosshairs to their stock. ;) Not quite as cool and scary as the ones on SAaB, though. I think those myst have been sclera, 'cause you don't see the iris in the middle of the eye.

There's only one season and I know various fans can dub sets of tapes (and possibly DVDs) but there is nothing official and probably never will be. :( I know it was mentioned last year that they MIGHT make DVDs, but I think they opted not to. Curse them! There are twentysomething episodes and I watched them all in two sittings, once. What a kickass series. And that finale is now my personal standard by which I judge all other finales. :D I think only Now & Again and Millennium S2 have come close to matching it and neither was as personally gut-wrenching to watch as the SAaB finale.

I wonder if the Chigs really knew that the AIs were not humans. I know, I know...stupid question, but it can't hurt to ask...so do you think they knew the AIs were androids/robots/whatever they were?
Interesting question. I'm inclined to think they do because it'd be hard for the AIs to hide their inhumanity when they keep making modem chirping noises and spilling out wire and plastic guts when they get shot. ;) The chigs were pretty smart when it comes to humans. And remember, they were winning the war. :D

LordAnubis
August 30th, 2004, 09:36 PM
The AI's did have crosshair eyes, yes. I wanted a pair of contacts like that so badly I actually emailed one of the lens FX companies to see if they could make them. They said they could, but cautioned it would be an additional price. I eventually decided not to bother, but when I checked the site a few years later, darned if they hadn't added crosshairs to their stock. ;) Not quite as cool and scary as the ones on SAaB, though. I think those myst have been sclera, 'cause you don't see the iris in the middle of the eye.

There's only one season and I know various fans can dub sets of tapes (and possibly DVDs) but there is nothing official and probably never will be. :( I know it was mentioned last year that they MIGHT make DVDs, but I think they opted not to. Curse them! There are twentysomething episodes and I watched them all in two sittings, once. What a kickass series. And that finale is now my personal standard by which I judge all other finales. :D I think only Now & Again and Millennium S2 have come close to matching it and neither was as personally gut-wrenching to watch as the SAaB finale.

Interesting question. I'm inclined to think they do because it'd be hard for the AIs to hide their inhumanity when they keep making modem chirping noises and spilling out wire and plastic guts when they get shot. ;) The chigs were pretty smart when it comes to humans. And remember, they were winning the war. :D
Right again. It seems like you're always right! :) I remember the finale well.....
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
When the Chig takes off his/her/its mask and it's the same type of alien the marines encountered in the nursery/cave on that moon, I freaked out. I wasn't sure if it was the same alien, but it sure surprised me. Then, when the alien said Aerotech, the big bad corporation that pushed the settlements into Chig territority, knew of the Chig breeding grounds but didn't care, I was surprised. You know it's good when you are actually surprised by a finale, not "ya, I knew that was gonna happen."

I tried to get slit-like contacts once to have "V" alien eyes, if you remember that series from the 80s. Sci-fi played it a few years ago. The mini-series was cool but the tv series sucked. Anyway, I almost got the contacts but didn't have the $$$ so I gave up on it.

ShadowMaat
August 30th, 2004, 09:46 PM
You're probably better off. Dunno if you saw my post(s) about Steve's eyes in Atlantis, but FX lenses generally don't stay aligned properly. The slitted pupils will look perfect until you blink, then the lens will shift a little and your pupils will suddenly be more like / than |

I remember V well. Another good series. LOVED Willie. I think that's partly why I could never take Freddy Krueger seriously. I just kept picturing him saying, "Nice mousie!" ;)

I'm wrong loads of times. Stick around and you'll see for yourself. ;)

The unmasked chigs actually look a bit like unmasked kull warriors, too. I wonder if they had some of the same makeup/props guys.

LoneStar1836
August 31st, 2004, 02:54 AM
Hey, LoneStar1836 just reminded me, in a recent post, about Space: Above and Beyond, which I thought was a good show. Sci-fi in the US played it a few years back,but of course, they got rid of it to make room for more of its original trash.

Does anyone know a lot about Space: Above and Beyond? I know the one thing I didn't like about the show was the characters; they were too stupid and immature acting for space marines, but I did like the aliens (chigs), and the AI robots were pretty cool. I remember one AI was played by David Duchovny (Mulder from X-files.). :eek:

Like I said on the other thread, I have limited memory of the series because I didn’t originally watch it when it first aired and then saw it maybe once or twice through during its rotation on SciFi. (To be interpreted as I can’t remember specifics unless you remind me.) I liked the main characters. Hawkes the most I guess. What mostly sticks out in my mind is Col. McQueen and his hard ass Marine attitude, yet he still cared for the squadron members under it all. Kind of Jack-like I guess. Maybe I think of him first because of the name McQueen and immediately think Steve McQueen. Maybe Shepard on SGA liked Steve McQueen and that’s why he named Steve Steve. :D Maybe Steve’s captivity reminded him of scenes in The Great Escape. (My favorite McQueen movie.) Okay back on topic.

I remember that one with Duchovny. Creepy eyes. And now that y'all remind me, I agree that the kull warriors remind me of the Chigs. Someone on the SG-1 production must have liked S:AaB also.

Damn them for canceling it. I’m with Shadow in that the episode that really does stick with me is the season finally. It was a powerful cliffhanger with them left drifting in space. Didn’t West find his girlfriend only then to sacrifice himself and drift away in the incapacitated part of the ship with one of the other that was injured or was that Hawkes? And didn’t somebody die? I told you my memory was bad. They really need to put this on DVD so that when I eventually buy a DVD player I can first: Buy all the seasons of SG-1 and Farscape. Then this short lived, but good while it lasted series so I can remember exactly why it was so good.

I remember V well. Another good series. LOVED Willie. I think that's partly why I could never take Freddy Krueger seriously. I just kept picturing him saying, "Nice mousie!"I was five when this aired in '83, IIRC, and it scarred the **** out of me at night when I went to bed for some reason, but I watched it anyway. I think it was the part when she had the alien baby and the half alien/human baby that really scarred me into thinking that alien baby was going to get me from under the bed. (That was in the mini-series and not the tv series right?) Yeah I know that's stupid now that i think about it, but I was 5 going on 6 the next year. Of course seeing that scene now gives me a good chuckle at the so sophisticated SFX. I saw it again in later years but not anytime recently, but I liked the mini series. Can't recall the tv series. Probably watched it but again I don't remember if i did or didn't. My fixation during those years was the old series "Airwolf" where the two guys flew the secret helicopter they hid in the mountain. That I do remember. It was on the night in '84 when we had to go to the hospital for the birth of my sister, and for some weird reason I remember that.

ShadowMaat
August 31st, 2004, 04:34 AM
SAaB finale discussion

I’m with Shadow in that the episode that really does stick with me is the season finally. It was a powerful cliffhanger with them left drifting in space. Didn’t West find his girlfriend only then to sacrifice himself and drift away in the incapacitated part of the ship with one of the other that was injured or was that Hawkes? And didn’t somebody die? I told you my memory was bad.

Close, but not quite. ;)
Wang was the one left drifting off into space. A chig ship was approaching and he was firing madly at it and giving a yell that would have done Sgt. Bougus proud. :)

Vansen and Phousse were crashing towards the surface of the Chig nesting world, I think.

McQueen was shipped off to Earth (or somewhere), grievously wounded and missing a leg.

West was briefly reunited with his POW girfriend, who changed the message on his dogtag to read "I believe in ALL you!" before being rushed off out of the war zone.

It ended with a shattered West and Hawkes, alone, taking one least moment to sit in the team's bunkroom before removing the personal effects of their "lost" teammates in order to make room for the new recruits/transfers.

The producers, Morgan & Wong, have gone on record as saying that despite appearances, everyone LIVES.

I've always thought Stargate should end like that. Unfortunately, I don't think the show is really geared towards that kind of finale. *sigh* It would be spectacular, though...

aAnubiSs
August 31st, 2004, 04:49 AM
S2 was supposed to be about finding the others so yes they were alive =)

LordAnubis
August 31st, 2004, 07:43 AM
You're probably better off. Dunno if you saw my post(s) about Steve's eyes in Atlantis, but FX lenses generally don't stay aligned properly. The slitted pupils will look perfect until you blink, then the lens will shift a little and your pupils will suddenly be more like / than |

I remember V well. Another good series. LOVED Willie. I think that's partly why I could never take Freddy Krueger seriously. I just kept picturing him saying, "Nice mousie!" ;)

I'm wrong loads of times. Stick around and you'll see for yourself. ;)

The unmasked chigs actually look a bit like unmasked kull warriors, too. I wonder if they had some of the same makeup/props guys.
Hey, Shadow, Steve's eyes in SGA (well, the Wraiths' eyes period) look sorta like the "V" eyes, but their eyes were reddish/yellow with black slits, whereas Steve's looked sorta greenish/yellowish with black slits. or am I remembering wrong? Anyway, you're right again -- about the Chigs and unmasked Kulls, except the Chigs had weird mouths...almost like an insect or something.

LordAnubis
August 31st, 2004, 07:47 AM
Like I said on the other thread, I have limited memory of the series because I didn’t originally watch it when it first aired and then saw it maybe once or twice through during its rotation on SciFi. (To be interpreted as I can’t remember specifics unless you remind me.) I liked the main characters. Hawkes the most I guess. What mostly sticks out in my mind is Col. McQueen and his hard ass Marine attitude, yet he still cared for the squadron members under it all. Kind of Jack-like I guess. Maybe I think of him first because of the name McQueen and immediately think Steve McQueen. Maybe Shepard on SGA liked Steve McQueen and that’s why he named Steve Steve. :D Maybe Steve’s captivity reminded him of scenes in The Great Escape. (My favorite McQueen movie.) Okay back on topic.

I remember that one with by Duchovny. Creepy eyes. And now that y'all remind me, I agree that the kull warriors remind me of the Chigs. Someone on the SG-1 production must have liked S:AaB also.

Damn them for canceling it. I’m with Shadow in that the episode that really does stick with me is the season finally. It was a powerful cliffhanger with them left drifting in space. Didn’t West find his girlfriend only then to sacrifice himself and drift away in the incapacitated part of the ship with one of the other that was injured or was that Hawkes? And didn’t somebody die? I told you my memory was bad. They really need to put this on DVD so that when I eventually buy a DVD player I can first: Buy all the seasons of SG-1 and Farscape. Then this short lived, but good while it lasted series so I can remember exactly why it was so good.

I was five when this aired in '83, IIRC, and it scarred the **** out of me at night when I went to bed for some reason, but I watched it anyway. I think it was the part when she had the alien baby and the half alien/human baby that really scarred me into thinking that alien baby was going to get me from under the bed. (That was in the mini-series and not the tv series right?) Yeah I know that's stupid now that i think about it, but I was 5 going on 6 the next year. Of course seeing that scene now gives me a good chuckle at the so sophisticated SFX. I saw it again in later years but not anytime recently, but I liked the mini series. Can't recall the tv series. Probably watched it but again I don't remember if i did or didn't. My fixation during those years was the old series "Airwolf" where the two guys flew the secret helicopter they hid in the mountain. That I do remember. It was on the night in '84 when we had to go to the hospital for the birth of my sister, and for some weird reason I remember that.
I wasn't even born in '83, so needless to say, I saw "V" many years after it aired on TV. I saw it on the Sci-fi channel back in the 90s, like around 98 or something, and I loved it. It's sorta like Independence Day with more intrigue. Ya, the effects were sorta cheesy and the acting sucked at times, but for the most part, it wasn't that bad. V: The Final Battle was the sequel and wasn't as good. The series followed and sucked. I remember that alien baby thing and it freaked me out too. Their slitty eyes scared me too -- sorta demonic looking.

LordAnubis
August 31st, 2004, 07:48 AM
SAaB finale discussion

Close, but not quite. ;)
Wang was the one left drifting off into space. A chig ship was approaching and he was firing madly at it and giving a yell that would have done Sgt. Bougus proud. :)

Vansen and Phousse were crashing towards the surface of the Chig nesting world, I think.

McQueen was shipped off to Earth (or somewhere), grievously wounded and missing a leg.

West was briefly reunited with his POW girfriend, who changed the message on his dogtag to read "I believe in ALL you!" before being rushed off out of the war zone.

It ended with a shattered West and Hawkes, alone, taking one least moment to sit in the team's bunkroom before removing the personal effects of their "lost" teammates in order to make room for the new recruits/transfers.

The producers, Morgan & Wong, have gone on record as saying that despite appearances, everyone LIVES.

I've always thought Stargate should end like that. Unfortunately, I don't think the show is really geared towards that kind of finale. *sigh* It would be spectacular, though...
Ya, it would be a great way to go out. See, you are always right!

greytop
August 31st, 2004, 07:51 AM
I watched most of the episodes when it was first on and like them. Too bad they canceled the series.

Larry
August 31st, 2004, 08:02 AM

Series aired 1995-96, and had a full complement of 22 episdoes. According to the Internet Movie Database, no vhs or dvd's are available.

joshing123
August 31st, 2004, 09:28 AM
Series aired 1995-96, and had a full complement of 22 episdoes. According to the Internet Movie Database, no vhs or dvd's are available.

Hopefully in the tv show-to-dvd mania going on these days, someone will remember this show. It's a vague memory now (although reading this thread has helped), but I do remember being very disappointed when it got cancelled, as it seems happens to most good sci-fi.

aAnubiSs
August 31st, 2004, 09:39 AM
Maybe we'll have to start mailing and demanding the imidiate release of SAAB DVD's or else we'll blow something up.

LoneStar1836
August 31st, 2004, 11:43 AM
Close, but not quite.
Wang was the one left drifting off into space. A chig ship was approaching and he was firing madly at it and giving a yell that would have done Sgt. Bougus proud.

McQueen was shipped off to Earth (or somewhere), grievously wounded and missing a leg.Thanks for clearing that up for me. :) All I needed were some specifics to jog the old memory. :D I knew somebody was drifting somewhere. Forgot about that part about Wang firing at the Chig fighter as he drifted away. Thank you for reminding me because I can visualize that now. I guess I got that mixed up with Vansen and Damphousse drifting toward the planet together after they had to jettison their cockpit. For some reason in my fading memory of the show, I thought Vansen had bought the farm in a dogfight. Still don’t quit recall how McQueen lost the leg, though.

It ended with a shattered West and Hawkes, alone, taking one least moment to sit in the team's bunkroom before removing the personal effects of their "lost" teammates in order to make room for the new recruits/transfers.That was gut-wrenching to see them broken like that knowing they had to fight on without their friends. Thanks again for the reminder. :)

I've always thought Stargate should end like that. Unfortunately, I don't think the show is really geared towards that kind of finale. *sigh* It would be spectacular, though...I agree. I guess I would rather not have some …and they lived happily ever after ending. The ending to Angel, I thought, was kind of fitting after I had some time to digest it. When I initially saw it I was like WTF, but decided later yeah that’s how it should have gone down.

ShadowMaat
August 31st, 2004, 01:25 PM
Still don’t quit recall how McQueen lost the leg, though.
Kamikaze chig "ambassador" blew himself up and took out half the delegation from Earth.

I guess I would rather not have some …and they lived happily ever after ending.
I don't want things to end happily. I don't necessarily want them to end tragically, either, but some kind of nail-biting "AAAUUUGGH!!! WTF??!!" ending would be great. ;)

I end all my fics in cliffhangers. Drives people nuts. :D

LoneStar1836
September 1st, 2004, 02:43 AM
I don't want things to end happily. I don't necessarily want them to end tragically, either, but some kind of nail-biting "AAAUUUGGH!!! WTF??!!" ending would be great.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting they kill anybody, but something that left you with a good/tense "What's going to happen now?" feeling would be better than some totally happy, predictable ending. At least I'd rather have it for this kind of show.

Oh, and to stay OT, Space: Above and Beyond is a great show worthy of the DVD treatment.

aaobuttons
November 13th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Since we were talking about some other cool 90's sci-fi, I thought I'd bump this thread up since Space: Above and Beyond was my ultimate fave! I was so bummed when it was cancelled and on a cliffhanger at that! Good news for fans though, it has finally come out on DVD (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BCCAEQ/104-6490885-0387944?v=glance&n=130&n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance) with a fairly decent price. Too bad they never made a continuing book series out of this show either, it would have been great!

ShadowMaat
November 13th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Only if they'd gotten a good author to do it. :rolleyes: Did you read Demolition Winter? What an appallingly off piece of fiction. At least as bad as Ashley McConnell's SG-1 novels. Too bad Fandemonium didn't snatch it up. Or at least find an author who actually watched the show...

aaobuttons
November 13th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Only if they'd gotten a good author to do it. :rolleyes: Did you read Demolition Winter?

Was that the book that screwed up all the characters? I remember buying the books and not liking one of them because the characters wern't acting like the characters were supposed to act, but I really don't remember much about them.

NORCALJJ
November 13th, 2005, 08:48 AM
i had just recently bought the season on dvd. i liked it. i think that if it was redone now with better actors and better special effects it would be good.

aaobuttons
November 13th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I didn't really care for Vansen, she seemed very wooden. But I think I liked everyone else, especially Hawkes, so cute!

Lt.Col. Moore (Icarus)
November 13th, 2005, 09:47 AM
I remember the show I liked what I, alot of the characters names I have forgotten but I still remember the name of the ship, the Saratoga, I believe. And what I don't understand is why alot of these networks throw shows off the air.

aaobuttons
November 13th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Wasn't this show on Sundays after the football games? It was probably on a weird times or not shown at all and couldn't pick up a following.

ShadowMaat
November 13th, 2005, 01:03 PM
It was on after football and I worked on Sunday nights, so I never got to see it because the game would always run late, meaning I'd get the end of the game and half an ep of the show. Grrr.

Lightsabre
November 13th, 2005, 01:31 PM
YEah what is it with good Sci-Fi?
They cancelled Firefly and that has a huge fan base.
I was only about 13-14 when S:A&B aired but I loved it. I can't believe they cancelled it. Esp with the excellect finale. IT was a brilliant cliffhanger.
But they do that to all the great shows. There was one called Jake 2.0(I liked it, some of you may hate it) that got cancelled after 16 eps. And the last 4 weren't aired, except in the UK I think.
I recently got a copy of S:A&B on my pc and spent some time watching it. It really is good sci-fi. WHo makes these decisions and cancel's shows the fans actually like, while crap like Charmed(which I like, but, honestly, it's not as good as anything else mentioned here) gets renewed over and over and over and over.
Are all network execs just stupid or do they just hate the material they produce??

AGateFan
November 13th, 2005, 01:54 PM
YEah what is it with good Sci-Fi?
They cancelled Firefly and that has a huge fan base.
I was only about 13-14 when S:A&B aired but I loved it. I can't believe they cancelled it. Esp with the excellect finale. IT was a brilliant cliffhanger.
But they do that to all the great shows. There was one called Jake 2.0(I liked it, some of you may hate it) that got cancelled after 16 eps. And the last 4 weren't aired, except in the UK I think.
I recently got a copy of S:A&B on my pc and spent some time watching it. It really is good sci-fi. WHo makes these decisions and cancel's shows the fans actually like, while crap like Charmed(which I like, but, honestly, it's not as good as anything else mentioned here) gets renewed over and over and over and over.
Are all network execs just stupid or do they just hate the material they produce??
I agree S:A&B was great scifi and far superior to Charmed.

Lt.Col. Moore (Icarus)
November 13th, 2005, 02:34 PM
It just goes to tell you how dark the movie bis is

Atlantis1
November 13th, 2005, 02:35 PM
It was on Friday nights at 8pm. There used to be a running joke about if Fox aired a show on friday at 8, it was doomed to be cancelled. Prey was another sci-fi show they cancelled from that time zone.

ste
November 21st, 2006, 03:56 PM
i got my hands on the whole series, which aint hard because they only made one, but it was such a good show, really weird how it ended

silence
November 22nd, 2006, 02:02 AM
ya... end was pretty bad. i wish there was season 2 or something. too many things were left open ..

anyway.. one of my fav shows...

Ojos
November 25th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I don't think I was any older than 7 or 8 when this show came out, but I LOVED it. Seriously. Any idea of when skiffy will do reruns again?

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
November 25th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I loved this show, great military sci-fi! reminds me these days of an early version of BSG mixed with B5, shame FOX decided to mess up the schedules and cancel it, when will you ever learn FOX ?

Astrofighter
November 26th, 2006, 12:35 AM
"Abandon all Hope"

the fifth man
November 26th, 2006, 01:25 AM
What a great show. Another in a long list of shows that ended long before they should have.

wraithlord
November 26th, 2006, 01:30 AM
it was a great show it was sad it end at season 1 i wished it went on for longer

the fifth man
November 26th, 2006, 01:39 AM
it was a great show it was sad it end at season 1 i wished it went on for longer

I definitely know what you mean there. It should have at least gotten another season or two.

wraithlord
November 26th, 2006, 02:00 AM
at least one more season

Jarnin
November 27th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I hate to play devils advocate, but Space: Above and Beyond borrowed heavily from Starship Troopers. They were continually pounding the "War Sucks" theme into our heads every episode. Most episodes were complete downers, and even the episodes that were sort of bright and cheery ended up being a downer by the end of the episode.

I liked the show, and yes, it was canceled too soon, but I don't think it was as great as people make it out to be. Had it had another season to build, then I think it would have made all the difference in the world.
It's too bad FOX canceled it without at least allowing the viewers to see what happened after the cliffhanger ending, but that seems to be par for the course when it comes to FOX.

the fifth man
November 27th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I so have to see about getting ahold of this show. Just to watch the eps again, since it's been so long.

wraithlord
November 28th, 2006, 10:58 AM
is it out on dvd just wondering?

jds1982
November 28th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I remember watching, but I don't think I saw the ending, how did it end?

LoneStar1836
November 28th, 2006, 09:44 PM
is it out on dvd just wondering?
Yes it is. Came out on dvd about a year or so ago and I bought it because I needed to refresh my memory. Remember watching the show when it originally aired but that was some time ago.... The box set has no extras...just the episodes.

Great show. I enjoyed it, but then again I like dark television shows.

TheXym
June 14th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Anybody else remember this too-short-lived series? It was out in 95-96. For some reason it popped in my head the other day and my local Barnes and Noble had a buy 2 get one free DVD sale including box sets so I picked it up along with B5 seasons 1 and 2. I'd only seen a couple of episodes, but it's actually pretty decent.

Randy_Watson
June 14th, 2007, 04:09 AM
I just bought this too (onsale for 19.95 at bestbuy this week).

I am having a hard time really getting into it, but Ill keep trying. It reminds me of Starship troopers without the funny.

MmmmMcKAy
June 15th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I just finished watching the whole brief series on DVD. It took me a few episodes to get into it, but it grew on me more and more. I wouldn't say I loved it, but I liked it a lot. The series had potential but was cancelled before it had a chance.

Favorite characters were probably Wang and Hawkes.

TheXym
June 18th, 2007, 10:58 PM
There was a lot more they could have explored with the prejudice against tanks, etc. I thought having the drill sgt. from Full Metal Jacket was a nice touch as well in the first episode.

Skydiver
June 19th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I remember watching, but I don't think I saw the ending, how did it end?
with a cliffie

they didn't know/got the word too late that they were cancelled

i actually watched this on Fox and have vhs tapes of the eps

AGateFan
June 20th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I wish I kept my tapes. I remember liking this show and trying to think about how they were going to overcome the cliffhanger....only to find out they weren't :(.

ShadowMaat
June 20th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I have my tapes somewhere, but I also have the DVDs they released a couple years back. :D

AGateFan
June 20th, 2007, 05:38 PM
1 year of DVDs... how many eps is thats and how much does it cost?

ShadowMaat
June 20th, 2007, 06:07 PM
1 year of DVDs... how many eps is thats and how much does it cost?

I'd say $35-50 from "official" places, cheaper if you trust ebay. :) And it's the full season, which I think is 23-24 eps.

Suzotchka
June 20th, 2007, 07:10 PM
This was a great show. I was sorry to see it end.

TheXym
June 21st, 2007, 04:28 AM
The set is 22 eps, the only "special features" are the TV spots. $49.99 at Barnes & Noble, thought they've got a buy 2 get 1 on DVDs thru 6/26. I've heard of it being available at best buy for $19.99.

LoneStar1836
June 21st, 2007, 09:41 AM
The set is 22 eps, the only "special features" are the TV spots. $49.99 at Barnes & Noble, thought they've got a buy 2 get 1 on DVDs thru 6/26. I've heard of it being available at best buy for $19.99.That was a sale last week. Best Buy had a large selection of FOX tv shows on sale for $20. The price went back up to $42 USD. Amazon.com has it for $30.

I already have S:AAB, but Best Buy had a lot shows that I wish I had, if only I had the money to burn.....

Missster.Freeman
June 21st, 2007, 10:17 AM
I loved this series. It was originally shown on Sky One over here and one of my friends taped the episodes each week for us to watch. Sadly, I never kept the tapes and they would probably be worn out by now.

It's a shame there never was a region 2 release, but there are copies on sale at Amazon UK for £17.99 (35USD). That's not a bad deal for a whole series. I would need to buy a region free DVD player to watch it on. Maybe it's about time I did. Pfft! To all this region nonsense. :mckay:

ShadowMaat
June 21st, 2007, 10:23 AM
*huggles her region-free player* Best purchase I've made in a while. And cheap, too! :)

TheXym
June 22nd, 2007, 04:45 AM
I actually bought one of the P.O.S. Apex DVD players we had at Circuit City a couple of years ago that was hackable to make it region free. For an off-brand DVD player it was surprisingly decent, though I wish it had digital coax out instead of only optical. However, I have yet to buy any DVDs from another region so it's been only used in my kids' rec room.

As far as the S:AAB set, I wish they'd have done more with special features, as I think some cast/crew commentary or behind the scenes stuff would have been pretty interesting.

Randy_Watson
June 22nd, 2007, 05:45 AM
I actually bought one of the P.O.S. Apex DVD players we had at Circuit City a couple of years ago that was hackable to make it region free. For an off-brand DVD player it was surprisingly decent, though I wish it had digital coax out instead of only optical. However, I have yet to buy any DVDs from another region so it's been only used in my kids' rec room.

Region free is awesome, order the series "Spaced" ASAP!

Skydiver
June 22nd, 2007, 06:01 AM
i have a lovely little phillips that i got at wally world for $40 i believe and it was hackable to region free. it also plays divx and some mpegs

best money i spent

jds1982
June 22nd, 2007, 06:17 AM
. I would need to buy a region free DVD player to watch it on. Maybe it's about time I did. Pfft! To all this region nonsense. :mckay:

Why do DVD players have regions?

Randy_Watson
June 22nd, 2007, 06:25 AM
Why do DVD players have regions?

So the companies can have greater controll over content and make more money.

TheXym
June 22nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
Region free is awesome, order the series "Spaced" ASAP!

Maybe after I finish the B5 discs. I'm 1/2 way thru season one.

ShadowMaat
June 22nd, 2007, 04:31 PM
Caught the first ep of Spaced on BBCA. Not to my taste.

Xicer
December 9th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Heh sorry to bring this old topic back up but I recently started watching this show and its awesome! IMO its probably the most realistic representation of what a war with an advanced alien race would be like. 'Tis a shame there's only one season. I just started watching the fifth episode and noticed Tony Amendola (Bra'Tac) playing one of the captains. Just felt like mentioning that :p

Franklyn Blaze
December 9th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Heh sorry to bring this old topic back up but I recently started watching this show and its awesome! IMO its probably the most realistic representation of what a war with an advanced alien race would be like. 'Tis a shame there's only one season. I just started watching the fifth episode and noticed Tony Amendola (Bra'Tac) playing one of the captains. Just felt like mentioning that :p

I throughly enjoyed this show aswell. It's a shame it didn't get more attention then it deserved.

the fifth man
December 9th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I throughly enjoyed this show aswell. It's a shame it didn't get more attention then it deserved.

I agree. This show did deserve more attention, and at least another season.

SaberBlade
December 9th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I really enjoyed this show when I first watched it oh so many years ago. What I hated about it was the damn ending. Never in all my life can I remember a show ending with such a cliffhanger that just drives you nuts thinking about it. Even if they didn't want to give it a second season, not giving it a conclusion was just the worst thing they could have done.

greytop
December 10th, 2007, 02:09 AM
I really enjoyed this show when I first watched it oh so many years ago. What I hated about it was the damn ending. Never in all my life can I remember a show ending with such a cliffhanger that just drives you nuts thinking about it. Even if they didn't want to give it a second season, not giving it a conclusion was just the worst thing they could have done.Amen to that.

Oreo
December 11th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Never in all my life can I remember a show ending with such a cliffhanger that just drives you nuts thinking about it.

Odyssey 5. :)

Xicer
December 11th, 2007, 06:24 PM
^ Tru Dat. I was seriously about to throw something at my screen after that ending.

Anyway, I'm absolutely loving this show. I've only just finished episode 8 (the one where everyone starts going crazy because of their fears).

SaberBlade
December 11th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Odyssey 5. :)

I never watched past the fourth or fifth episode so I haven't come face to face with that cliffhanger.

MmmmMcKAy
December 12th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Geez, yeah! I'm always getting sucked into shows(on DVD) that were cancelled after 1 or 2 seasons. I just finished Odyssey 5. Of course, I knew there was no resolution but it's still a disappointment(Wow...I really love O5!!!!!). Same with Space: Above and Beyond...although I think Odyssey 5 is far superior.

Anyway, both shows had a lot of potential and it's really a shame that so many quality programs get cancelled. And there are so many other shows of questionable quality that go for years...shows that I never hear about. They seem to be sitcoms mainly.

Sci-Fi
December 13th, 2007, 12:34 AM
I really enjoyed this show when I first watched it oh so many years ago. What I hated about it was the damn ending. Never in all my life can I remember a show ending with such a cliffhanger that just drives you nuts thinking about it. Even if they didn't want to give it a second season, not giving it a conclusion was just the worst thing they could have done.

Glen Morgan and James Wong wrote the last episode that way after learning the show was going to be cancelled. If there was a reprieve, the 2nd season would of had a new female lead along with West, Hawks, and McQueen (with an AI leg...lol). The Morgan & Wong Online website is long gone, but they commented about the ending and they don't consider the last episode a "true cliffhanger", although fans of SAAB have hope that Vansen, Damphousse, and Wang somehow survived and written a lot of fanfic about it.

Xicer
January 13th, 2008, 05:55 AM
oh wow, i just finished the last episode a few days ago and im still trying to get over it :(

it was waaaay to sad. just about everyone died - vansen and damphousse crashed on that planet and we have no idea if they survived. wang sacrificed himself to save the others. mcqueen got his leg blown off but we still dont know if he even survived that. wow, this show really needed another season. stupid fox =\

at least nathan got kylen back. and we learned a ton about the chigs.

ShadowMaat
January 13th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Y'know, with the news (a bit old now) that Rob Thomas might be resurrecting Cupid, it makes me wonder if the same could be done with SAAB. It'd have to be a new cast, of course, and they'd have to start over from scratch, but what do you think? Would a new version of SAAB be a viable idea? And would you be willing to watch it as long as Morgan & Wong were still at the helm? As much as I love and treasure the show, I'd still be a bit curious to see how an updated and revamped version would work. ...And if they could pull it off without everyone screaming that they were copying BSG. ;)

Sci-Fi
January 14th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Doubt SAAB will come back in series form. It was a pretty dark series, but there wasn't a lot of hope in the series (winning the war) and more a story about the relationships between the members of the squad. To be honest, a few members of the squad should have been killed off or seriously injured and replaced to improve cast chemistry.

We already know that Aero-Tech invaded the Chigs space even though they knew they were there and that started the war. So where can they go with that story?

The Silicates are like the Cylons, and nobody knows how many there are and it appears they do not make new or replacement models...just keep and share memories and experiences.

Would be better of they made a live action series of "Roughnecks - The Starship Troopers Chronicles"...a 1999 animated series that ran for 40 episodes. The stories were too adult for Sony to continue the series (was shown out of order and was aired in the morning children hour slot). At least the war flows back and forth and the stories and relationships get more complicated as the overall arc progresses.

ShadowMaat
January 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Dark is in, these days. ;)

*shrug* You're right, there's zero chance of SAAB ever coming back in any form, but that's no reason not to speculate anyway and try to enjoy the possibilities.

CaldwellForce
January 18th, 2008, 11:59 PM
What a great show. Another in a long list of shows that ended long before they should have.

I wonder if they could do an animated movie on this ?

ladyjanus
January 28th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Oh man, I looooooooved this show. When I found out that it had been cancelled, I just wailed. It was one of the most intense and gut-wrenching pieces of TV I have ever seen. It still is. Stories of loss and fear, hatred, prejudice and self-sacrifice - (she sighs heavily, sore at heart...)

I loved the cast and I am still a huge fan of so many of them. My absolute fave, James Morrison, has stayed busy since the show was cut off at the knee, just like his character McQueen. Most of the other characters got work after the show in eps of The X-Files, cuz the guys who made SAAB were the same ones who did TXF. Morgan and Wang, wasn't it?

The stories were so rich, and even though some people didn't like the female lead, thought she was kinda wooden and, untalented, I liked her. haven't seen much of her since then, though. The oriental character (can't remember his character name just off the top of my head as I type this), is a semi-regular on L&O:SVU these days. The rest of the cast was very good, but the guest stars were just incredible for the most part.

What I thought was really brilliant about this show was the theme of prejudice against the artificially created humans, like McQueen and one of the soldiers in his command (Hawkes?), the nipple-necks, as they called them, and how they were struggling to find their place in the world as well as their place in a military society. Fighting not only the chigs and the Silicates, but all the natural humans that hated them.

Didn't know it ws out on DVD. I will have to look for it.

ladyjanus

Bey0nd
February 1st, 2008, 12:02 AM
like this series a lot

I need to get the dvd

Oreo
February 1st, 2008, 12:53 PM
The DVDs can be found for liek $20.

Darien
February 27th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I've dug this thread up because I finished the last ep today. I loved this show! So many good themes, well written stories and so much potential... wasted. Thanks FOX! For this and for Firefly.

Oreo
March 1st, 2008, 10:07 PM
To be fair Fox gave this show a chance and aired all the episodes, and gave it a full season.

The show just failed, it's a fine show but nothing hugely special. Fox gave it a chance, which is shocking.

Korean_Turtle87
March 2nd, 2008, 08:26 AM
Great series. I think SAaB was the first sci fi show i had ever seen. I didn't like the ship designs though, with the exception of the hammerhead

boxvic
March 2nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
I jsut finished watching this series, and while I loved it, I think James Morrison and Joel de la Fuente were the stand out actors. They were the only ones I didn't continually wince at. Even when their characters where written stiff and unbelieveable they brought them to life. Lanei Chapman was pretty good too though.

Of course Tucker Smallwood should have had a more important role, he was the best actor of the bunch by far.

As for the ending, watching it I knew the ending was going to be a cliff-hanger, and I was actually happy with the way they ended it. They started the series with West and Hawkes butting heads and they ended it with those two laying there missing their friends. It sort of came full circle.

GATEGOD
March 4th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I loved watching this show I found out about it a couple months ago and ran through as many episodes I could find I think I missed maybe 5 all together. This show is one of my favorites out there. No one seems to have heard of it though.. lol or mention it. I quite enjoyed it. They had some really good meanings and characters come in and out. Had some stand out stories and and also a huge arcing story/back story to it. Really really good show in my opinion.

Only problem I had with it was the end. I loved the story in the last episode and what was found out was really interesting and brought up so many possible stories. But I hated what happened to the characters at the very end. If they did make more I don't know if I'd watch because of what happened to em. I'd want to see what would happen with all of them, not just a few.

Pic
September 4th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I watched this series when it aired and LOVED it. (The end had me upset for months, if I recall).
I'm so excited that it's on DVD now and I just ordered a copy.

I'm a re-watch junkie. Anyone want to re-watch S:AaB?

Bey0nd
September 16th, 2008, 01:19 AM

I agree and I would love to see an SAAB movie

Stewart5
September 25th, 2008, 10:20 AM
There may be hundred sof threads along this line, but I can't find any, so here we go....*takes a breath*

How many of you lovely sci-fi people are as desperate as me to know what happened? I really enjoyed SAAB. It was different from anything I had seen (at the time).

Is there any webisodes or comics that continue on from where Series 1 finished?

Zalenka
September 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I'd like to see it back. I liked the military futuristic military feel. Maybe Stargate Universe will take on its best bits. Still been it's own show though.

the fifth man
September 25th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I liked this show, but IMO, it has been way too long.

Stewart5
September 26th, 2008, 05:15 AM
I liked this show, but IMO, it has been way too long.

That's true. But they had filmed some, if not all, of the second series. I would like to see it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prometheus 1
September 26th, 2008, 03:39 PM
i didn't get it. I thought it kinda sucked but too each his own. many people don't like enterprise

Franklyn Blaze
September 26th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I really enjoyed SAAB I thought it was different and the characters really drew me in, even the guest stars were great, I thought they were show regulars sometimes.

Pic
September 27th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I really enjoyed it when it aired. I'm in the midst of re-watching it right now, and it's.... well.... it's dated.
Oh, I'm still a fan, but it's rather overly-dramatic at times.

Yesterday, I just watched the Ray Butts episode. The guy West called "Colonel Semper Psycho" who kept talking about how things were "as easy as eatin' pancakes".
McQueen would go at full-out-rant at this guy. It's rather humorous.

I remember where it ended, so I'm not sure I'm looking forward to getting there. I kept thinking there was a way that Vansen and Damphousse could be found, etc... but I agree that it's been far too long - what 13 yrs now? - to continue. Also doubt it was popular enough to create a re-imagined spinoff (BSG-style) but, hey, give Chris Carter and Ron D. Moore a call... why not?

MyFavoriteWraith
September 27th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I was absolutely obsessed with this show when it was on. I used to get on the live chat on AOL with Morgan & Wong every week. Then I was devastated when it was cancelled. (Having a strange sense of deja vu...)

I watched the marathon when Sci-fi played it a few years ago. Have to say, I agree it feels very dated. And was entirely too dark - even for the angsty 90s. But it fit right with my angsty personality back then. lol

There was a really great website I'd found awhile back of a guy who played a Chig that published his journal from that time. It's great insight into a bit actor's life and the struggle of those millions of actors out there that we never see or pay attention to. Also cool to have a sort of fly-on-the-wall perspective on a set. The link doesn't appear to be active anymore, unfortunately, but here's a link to a site of all things S:AAB.

http://www.cyberpursuits.com/heckifiknow/saab/links.asp

mfw

Stewart5
October 16th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Sorry to refresh this thread, but i just found it.

SAAB was awesome. The storyline was great. The aliens were cool and the fighters rocked. The only thing that needed work was the characters and the number of plot shields on them. That was all.

Remember, in space, no one can hear you scream. unless it is the battle cry of the USMC!!:cameron:

CaldwellForce
December 13th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Series aired 1995-96, and had a full complement of 22 episdoes..

It could have been great but as per usual Fox was not giving it full support

MIZA
December 13th, 2009, 07:06 PM

Does anyone know a lot about Space: Above and Beyond? I know the one thing I didn't like about the show was the characters; they were too stupid and immature acting for space marines, but I did like the aliens (chigs), and the AI robots were pretty cool. I remember one AI was played by David Duchovny (Mulder from X-files.).

:eek:

yeah i remember that show , well my friend got me into few year later when it came out on dvd , now one of the main characters is on my favorite show Law and Order !?, but i thought it was very interesting

Stewart5
December 14th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I wish it hdn't ended on that cliff-hangar. It's not fair.

I liked how every contry on Earth played their part(okay, you didn't hear much from them compared to the US input, but they were there!)

anyone know if they wrote any novels or comics from the end of it?

Ar3s
January 7th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Used to watch this show when I was younger, not seen it for timeeeee. Does anybody know where I can get these on DVD, <Snipped>

Bagpuss
January 8th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Region 1 discs are available ,but I don't think there are any plans to release it on other regions.:(

Elitenova
May 6th, 2010, 06:06 AM
After watching the entire season, I was disappointed that Fox canceled it. The characters are awesome and whole concept is original. What do you guys think?

Kentucky
May 6th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I liked Space: Above and Beyond alot when I was younger. I own the whole DVD collection and have rewatched recently and didn't get the same enjoyment, not sure why. But what I did like about the show was how much it may have influenced future sci-fi shows. The way the show portrayed space combat as being similar to naval combat likely influenced the Wing Commander movie as well as the re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica. I also can't help but think that whoever designed the F-302 in Stargate was a huge fan of the Hammerhead fighter. The fact that Fox canceled it was the just the beginning of their tradition of prematurely canceling good sci-fi shows. Firefly was not the first to fall under their cruel and unjust cancellation hammer.

Wayston
May 6th, 2010, 10:57 AM
space above and beyond was one of the greatest sci fi shows ever, I remember being totally wowed by those episodes whereas say star trek the next generation episodes were often good but not wow good

I hope that if BSG makes another spinoff it's about the first cylon war in the spirit of space above and beyond

idle hope I suppose

SaberBlade
May 6th, 2010, 12:09 PM
This has perhaps the worst, which makes it the best, season finale ever and as it lasted one season, worst and best last ever episode. I wish they had done a second season just to see what they'd come up with next.

gotthammer
May 6th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah. I vaguely recall feeling that the finale was rushed.
I do remember watching it mostly for the space battles (I saw someone mention 'Wing Commander': heh, I was a fan of that for quite a while, esp. WC: Privateer).
Feels so long ago... :D

the fifth man
May 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I will always remember this show fondly. Just another good show that was given the shaft unjustly.

Elitenova
May 6th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I didn't like the finale, I thought it was rushed a bit.

Skydiver
May 7th, 2010, 03:45 AM
it was one of the first shows that had space living and such not a pretty, bright and clean example of 'ooh, we're so advanced' ala trek.

it was gritty and 'real'

gotthammer
May 7th, 2010, 06:17 AM
does the show age well? maybe i should watch it again...as I honestly don't remember much of it any more. :D

edit: huh, and it's just 23+ USD on amazon... :D

Linda06
May 7th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I remember this, I really liked it and was disappointed it didn't last very long :( It's been literally years since I saw it last :o

gotthammer
May 7th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I remember this, I really liked it and was disappointed it didn't last very long :( It's been literally years since I saw it last :o

I think the last time I saw a full episode was in the previous millennium/century. :D

aaobuttons
May 8th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I loved this show when it was on, and I remember crying when I discovered it was canceled. I would love to see the series again, or read books that take place after it. (there were books that took place during the series, but nothing after)

Linda06
May 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I think the last time I saw a full episode was in the previous millennium/century. :D

I think that's when I may have saw my last ep too :D

curmudgeon7
February 4th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Just recently joined this little family.
Have seen stuff on SG!, SGA, SGU, Farscape, Dr Who, etc.
How about Space Above and Beyond.
I can't be the only fan out there.

Curmudgeon 7 Out

knowles2
February 5th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Just recently joined this little family.
Have seen stuff on SG!, SGA, SGU, Farscape, Dr Who, etc.
How about Space Above and Beyond.
I can't be the only fan out there.

Curmudgeon 7 Out

Indeed you are not, this was dark scifi way before BSG came on the scene an in my opinion the only thing BSG did better was the CGI. In fact I heard it was cancelled because it was to dark.

If the creators of Blood an Chrome know what good for them, they make sure it is similar in style to Space above an beyond.

Anyone know what the creators plans for a second season was. I heard that they had plans for at least 1 new alien species to appear. One of those were meant to be enemies of Chig an Humans. I be a friend also heard that were going to a fourth neutral introduce.
Also heard that eventually Humans an Chig would join together fight the third race.
But if B&C turns out rubbish, I would very much welcome a scifi base war series.

Wayston
February 5th, 2011, 01:49 PM
hopefully this little gem of sci fi will get rebooted in a couple of years :)