This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

continuity breakdown

alright the ancients obviously don't write anything in english, in fact on SG-1 daniel has to translate everything. but on atlantis they can just read it no problem. why?
    Join My forum (please??)

Members of the expedition know how to read Ancient and translate for the rest of them.

Comment

Google can translate into Ancient.

Comment

What is really disturbing is how everyone on almost all of the planets the go to speak English, even in the Pegasus Galaxy! Now figure that one out. I'm pretty sure the Ancients left for the Pegasus Galaxy long before English was ever thought of.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
          Google can translate into Ancient.
          Seriously? You have to provide a link!

Originally posted by Evil_Genius_McKay
          What is really disturbing is how everyone on almost all of the planets the go to speak English, even in the Pegasus Galaxy! Now figure that one out. I'm pretty sure the Ancients left for the Pegasus Galaxy long before English was ever thought of.
          That's a production thing. If they had to have a translator for every episode, it'd get old really quick. It's the same reason for the 'universal translator' on Star Trek or the 'translator microbes' on Farscape. You're not supposed to really pay attention to that, even though it is a glaring discrepancy.
          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
            Seriously? You have to provide a link!

That's a production thing. If they had to have a translator for every episode, it'd get old really quick. It's the same reason for the 'universal translator' on Star Trek or the 'translator microbes' on Farscape. You're not supposed to really pay attention to that, even though it is a glaring discrepancy.
            Yeah I'm aware of that, otherwise you would have Daniel Jackson spending most of the episode trying to communicate with the natives and that would get old. That doesn't mean it makes any mores sense though. At least Star Trek and Farscape made an attempt.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Genius_McKay View Post
              Yeah I'm aware of that, otherwise you would have Daniel Jackson spending most of the episode trying to communicate with the natives and that would get old. That doesn't mean it makes any mores sense though. At least Star Trek and Farscape made an attempt.
              I hated ST's attempt, it's even MORE lame.

Translator: OOO! An unknown language that no one's ever heard! Let me instantly know how to speak that!

I mean, I'd rather have no explaination that that, myself. And Stargate's attempt is alright (Goa'uld took humans from Earth. Earthlings speak English. Wha-lah), but you're right, English wasn't around then.

OOO I got it! When SG-1 went back in time in Moebius, they taught the Egyptians English. Then, when the Goa'uld spread them out across the galaxy, they knew how to speak it! (I know the timeline gets erased, but hey, it could happen )
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

There were multiple episodes in Atlantis where Weir and her team had to use their laptop's reference database to decypher Ancient writings. Like the episode with the time dilated ancients.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
                  There were multiple episodes in Atlantis where Weir and her team had to use their laptop's reference database to decypher Ancient writings. Like the episode with the time dilated ancients.
                  Yeah I know both Weir and McKay can at least partially translate written ancient along with of course Daniel Jackson.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
                    Technically, those weren't ancients. They were just regular ol' humans that wanted to ascend.

I know, I know... Off topic.

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Well, heck, I want to ascend too. :O

Comment

hmm ascention, my greatest foe! No seriously, the english to anceitnt hing was all about time saving in production, imagine if the writeres had to spend the extra time to teach the actors to speak weird sounding languages? Personally I found the whole we spend most of an episode understanding what your saying bit annoying.

Of course then again it would've bene hilarious if they did that and it turned out all the alien dude was saying the whole time was "Excuse me would you happen to have any gua'uld pupon?"
                        "It's because you just cant spell manslaughter without the laughter..."

"If you move around the letters in "Ori Infantry" it spells Meatsheild."

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Genius_McKay View Post
                          Everybody speaks English in Trek, BSG, any scifi show. And if the show were made in Germany, they'd be speaking German. However, it would be great if the team arrived on a world where they had a totally different language... don't know if we'll ever see that though.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                            Everybody speaks English in Trek, BSG, any scifi show. And if the show were made in Germany, they'd be speaking German. However, it would be great if the team arrived on a world where they had a totally different language... don't know if we'll ever see that though.
                            They did it with the Unas. Of course that was back when StarGate was on Showtime, and they had artistic license to do what they wanted without the network interfering to bolster ratings...

Comment

It's just easier to have the actors speak english so they don't waste the time translating and lose time meant for the plot. It would also get boring after a while.
                              Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X