This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate: Terra

Let's say that the forces of Anubis go head-to-head with a modern-day army on a battlefield similar to Manhattan on another, industrial planet. Who do you think would win? The following conditions apply:

- Anubis' forces include several ha'tak in orbit, but he does not want to bombard the planet as it has vast reserves of naquadah.

- The human defenders have nuclear missiles capable of reaching orbit, but Anubis would simply be able to shoot them down. Also, the humans are unwilling to use nukes on their own city's unless it's a last resort.

- Goa'uld forces can use death gliders/al'kesh/cargo ships as air support. Humans have standard fighters and bombers (Not F-302 class. Think F-22)

- The city this takes place in has SMALL amounts of anti-aircraft fire.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Counterterrorists would win. Because they have a silenced M16.

Also: Stop posting these threads. They get tiresome and are filled with fansplooge.

Edit: Rather, post this stuff in "Games". The mods did that once, and it makes perfect sense. This kind of discussion has NOTHING to do with stargate tech discussions.

Comment

(Name is just because it's an Earth-ish situation lol)

I know that some people will say "Why do people care", but I was just wondering who might win if Anubis attacked modern day Earth. I think we would respond within the conditions I set, and I wanted to know who people though, honestly, would win.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
        Counterterrorists would win. Because they have a silenced M16.

Also: Stop posting these threads. They get tiresome and are filled with fansplooge.

Edit: Rather, post this stuff in "Games". The mods did that once, and it makes perfect sense. This kind of discussion has NOTHING to do with stargate tech discussions.
        I'm sorry you don't like it...? I've only seen one, myself, and it has little fansplooge...

And I'm sorry if it should have been done in Games, my mistake then.

Comment

As a side note, Anubis wouldn't shoot down tactical nukes. In season 1, earth's nukes didn't leave a mark on the shields of Apophis's ships. And Anubis's ship shields are vastly superior to Apophis's.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
            As a side note, Anubis wouldn't shoot down tactical nukes. In season 1, earth's nukes didn't leave a mark on the shields of Apophis's ships. And Anubis's ship shields are vastly superior to Apophis's.
            I know it's an old argument, but those missiles only exploded, their warheads didn't detonate, so we really have no idea how they would have affected Apophis's ships.
            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

This has to be the second silliest post I've seen in a long, long time.
              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

So let me ask you, why's it so silly? Anubis' forces are numerous and have technology similar to what most people think an alien race might have if they ever came to Earth with hostile intentions.

Furtherfore, the conditions fit. An alien race seeking to control the Earth wouldn't want to combard it into dust, and we probably would not resort to nuking outselves right away.

So why's it so silly? People say it is, but I can't see the reasoning.

Comment

Garfield vs Popeye the Sailor man. WHO WOULD LOVE GOA'ULD ANCHOVIES MORE. DISCUSS.

Comment

I don't think it's that clear-cut at all, honestly. Today's technology is pretty advanced. We can fly at super-sonic speeds, launch A/A missiles from miles away, even set off EMPs. So long as any alien attacking Earth doesn't choose to bombard the planet and make it uninhabitable, we could have a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                      So let me ask you, why's it so silly?
                      Because it's a waste of time. You're coming up with hypothetical games that will never happen in the show. Basically, it's fan-fic crafting. You're coming up with scenarios that will never be realized in any meaningful way.

It's identical to all the fantasy spacecraft topics on this board. A bunch of members come up with specs for ships that will never exist except inside their imaginations. It's not like there's a role-playing game with established rules to put those ships to the test, it's just fan wanking.

Personally, I think these topics should be bumped to the fan-fic section of the board. Maybe a writer there would take these ideas and come up with a great story.

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                      Anubis' forces are numerous and have technology similar to what most people think an alien race might have if they ever came to Earth with hostile intentions.
                      Ok, now you're blowing smoke. If aliens ever did decide to visit Earth, they wouldn't look anything like us, they'd have technology thousands of years more advanced than ours, and most importantly, they wouldn't be using fictional technology from a television series on Earth.

Seriously, most people (ones who actually get paid to think about this stuff) don't think aliens are anything like the ones depicted in Stargate. I can't believe you actually made this claim.

Furtherfore, the conditions fit. An alien race seeking to control the Earth wouldn't want to combard it into dust, and we probably would not resort to nuking outselves right away.
                      The conditions do not fit. What you see on television is not real, and would have no resemblance to a real close encounter of the third kind. If an alien species came here looking to take over, we wouldn't stand a chance.

So why's it so silly? People say it is, but I can't see the reasoning.
                      Perhaps you should think about it more?
                      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                        Because it's a waste of time. You're coming up with hypothetical games that will never happen in the show. Basically, it's fan-fic crafting. You're coming up with scenarios that will never be realized in any meaningful way.
                        I was asking for a meangingful discussion, not fanfic... But okay...

It's identical to all the fantasy spacecraft topics on this board. A bunch of members come up with specs for ships that will never exist except inside their imaginations. It's not like there's a role-playing game with established rules to put those ships to the test, it's just fan wanking.
                        So what if they'll never exist? This is a sci-fi board, aren't I allowed to go into the impossible...?

Personally, I think these topics should be bumped to the fan-fic section of the board. Maybe a writer there would take these ideas and come up with a great story.
                        Again, not fanfic...

Ok, now you're blowing smoke. If aliens ever did decide to visit Earth, they wouldn't look anything like us, they'd have technology thousands of years more advanced than ours, and most importantly, they wouldn't be using fictional technology from a television series on Earth.
                        What, the Goa'uld aren't advanced enough for you? Let's see what they have:
                        - Resurrection devices
                        - hand devices that can cure anything, just about
                        - plasma-based weaponry
                        - HYPERDRIVES (FTL travel)
                        - a device that can create a symbiote pouch inside an adult human instantly
                        - shields
                        - instantaneous interstellar communication
                        - etc...

Is that NOT about a thousand years ahead of us...?

Seriously, most people (ones who actually get paid to think about this stuff) don't think aliens are anything like the ones depicted in Stargate. I can't believe you actually made this claim.
                        That's wonderful that people who get paid to think about it do (Who gets paid to think about it anyway? Honestly, no insult intended, just curious. Some government people? Or do you mean sci-fi writers?) And physiology doesn't really matter, humanoids are a common sci-fi staple, whether they have insectile appearances or whatnot. And the human body type seems to work well for sentient species, so why COULDN'T aliens coming to Earth look like us somewhat? Maybe not EXACTLY like the Jaffa are, but humanoid.

The conditions do not fit. What you see on television is not real, and would have no resemblance to a real close encounter of the third kind. If an alien species came here looking to take over, we wouldn't stand a chance.
                        Yes, and as an expert on real aliens, you know that...? Even so, our technology is pretty good. We could put up somewhat of a fight, assuming they weren't 10000000 years ahead of us, which you CANNOT say an alien race would be. For all we know, an alien race attacking Earth could only be a few decades ahead. A few decades can make a lot of difference (nukes, space stations, etc...)

Perhaps you should think about it more?

Why don't you?

Comment

Jarnin- it's identical to all the fantasy spacecraft topics on this board. A bunch of members come up with specs for ships that will never exist except inside their imaginations. It's not like there's a role-playing game with established rules to put those ships to the test, it's just fan wanking
                          Well as one of those "fanw*k*r*s" let me say that we put thought into our ships and dont just make ships that super powerful that are so powerful that no one can beat them and we look at screen shots and facts from the show to base most of our stuff on so please do not insult us, if you don't want to talk about this then stay off of the thread and let people who like to talk about this talk about it. I mean what is the purpose to come in to this thread and tell us this is stupid? Nothing other then to try and get yourself off by making a couple of people who want to talk about this feel bad. So please do not insult us either join in the converstaion and state your opinion or just don't say anything

Now back to the matter at hand

Anubis would kill us in the air with Al'keshs and Death Gliders as they can go to space in the worst case scenario and get rapired in space and then come back down to earth and just bomb us and when our fighters engage the anubis fleet retreats to space.

Now on the land we would kill the Jaffa as we have for eight seasons. Our weapons are superior to Staff Weapons as we can snipe, fire automatic weapons, and use explosives that are better weapons against ground units.

So in the end I would say that it would come down to us using Guerilla warfare against Anubis as to pick off the jaffa and goa'uld and hope that Anubis gives up after a while or we learn how to shoot down a ha'tak because in the end earth would be taken over by anubis right now but it wouldn't be easy for him to hold earth it would be like vietnam for Anubis
                          Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                          A Face you Can Trust
                          sigpic
                          So whats the worst that could happen?
                          Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                          It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

You should rename this thread Prsent Earth vs Anubis (as to get more people who like these kinds of threads to join in)
                            Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                            A Face you Can Trust
                            sigpic
                            So whats the worst that could happen?
                            Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                            It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

These threads are incredibly dumb if you limit the capabilities of one side or another. Its like "Oh what if God fought George Bush, except God had no powers and was just a normal human being, who do you think would win?"

Not to mention the fact that we already saw this in an amazing two part episode known as "Lost City". Were it not for the Antartic weapons platform, we would've been raped, even with all the other stargate era Technology we were utilizing. Take those things away from us and we wouldn't even know what was going on before we got taken out.
                              www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Working...
                              X