Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey would a Mecha or Power Suit work for gate travel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey would a Mecha or Power Suit work for gate travel?

I was watching appleseed last night (anime series )And Thought those could fit through the gate and could deliver alott of firepower in a fight orr even better .A Tachkoma mini tank from Ghost in the Shell .

Some type of powered Battle Armor so would work instead a heavy main battle tank going through the gate .Hell would a M1A Abrams fit throught the gate or a Bradley Fighting vehicle . The mecha could got through the gate and add some Heavy fire power to a fire fight .

Ok its a bit of a strecth but with the tech they have on Star gae they couls build some .

What do you think?

Originally posted by MacGuyverThis View Post
    I was watching appleseed last night (anime series )And Thought those could fit through the gate and could deliver alott of firepower in a fight orr even better .A Tachkoma mini tank from Ghost in the Shell .

Some type of powered Battle Armor so would work instead a heavy main battle tank going through the gate .Hell would a M1A Abrams fit throught the gate or a Bradley Fighting vehicle . The mecha could got through the gate and add some Heavy fire power to a fire fight .

Ok its a bit of a strecth but with the tech they have on Stargate they couls build some .

What do you think?
    The M1A1 Abram tank might be a little to big to fit through the gate and the Bradley Fighting Vehicle will fit through the gate only if they put the gate on the surface and get rid of the ram, then yes the BFV will fit through the gate.

Comment

Actually, I'm pretty sure the gate is plenty big for even an Abrams. And a Bradley would definitely fit. The big problem with sending something like a tank through is likely to be the platform on receiving end. That and getting it to the gate, though I suppose beaming technology could help there.

The fact of the matter is, though, that we rarely have run into anything that would require that kind of firepower. Most of what we run into are going foot soldiers and possibly lightly armored aircraft. A tank is going to be seriously overkill for something like that. Something like a Bradley or an armored humvee with a .50 cal or a recoilless rifle would probably be more than sufficient to provide heavier firepower if it's needed. The ones that do require more firepower we can often send a UAV and/or missiles through the gate to get the job done for a lot less trouble and a lot less cost.

Comment

An M1A2 will fit through the gate, I measured it up once, the gate is 22 feet in diameter and the M1A2 is only 12 feet wide.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
          An M1A2 will fit through the gate, I measured it up once, the gate is 22 feet in diameter and the M1A2 is only 12 feet wide.

yes but how would you get a abrahms down to the gate? besides, based on the nature of confrontations in Stargate they dont need main battle tanks, they need IFV's more, preferably non-wheeled ones.
          "It's because you just cant spell manslaughter without the laughter..."

"If you move around the letters in "Ori Infantry" it spells Meatsheild."

Comment

Originally posted by TKG View Post
            yes but how would you get a abrahms down to the gate? besides, based on the nature of confrontations in Stargate they dont need main battle tanks, they need IFV's more, preferably non-wheeled ones.
            Either beam it down to the gateroom, or for that matter just beam it through the gate, or send it through from another site, say a heavy equipment staging area where we have the gate inside some sort of compound on another world. The vehicles could be transported to that planet via 303, beam it up, beam it down and from there they could be sent through a gate to where they're needed.

You're right though. I said the same thing. The conflicts we encounter in stargate don't call for the type of heavy firepower of a MBT. I would even say that far from overkill it would actually be less effective than, say, an APC/IFV with recoilless rifles and/or turreted rocket launcher pods. Or how about a humvee equipped with an Active Denial System. I'm not sure that even the toughest Jaffa would be able to resist it for any length of time from the reports I've seen given on it. Although I suppose that big antenna would be too obvious of a target. So I guess we just stick with the heavy machine guns and rocket pods. And maybe some WP rockets/grenades for good measure. Nothing like being set on fire with an inextinguishable fire burning in some cases down to bone to stop a massed charge in a hurry. Yeah, WP is nasty stuff.

Comment

Forget all that! bring back a self-reloading version of the Ontos... I defy any ori or gua'uld troops to withstand it's six bee-hive fletchette cannons. They built that one to liquefy infantry and the jungle he's hiding in!

Comment

Yeah they ocul dfit, but they wouldnt be useful they would scare everybody, but if there was a ground war against the Ori/Goaul'd they would be crudhed under a Bradly
                that kind of firepower is never really needed
                Originally posted by cowpants
                ...you did it. I can't believe you actually did it. I am quite frankly astounded that you did it.

Thanks to you, I now want several mods to start mating with each other. I wanting to see what Moderator procreation will have in store for us.

And I thought that no one could get me to want this.

Congrats Mapp, you are officially the single most disturbed individual on GW.
                Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                Rosilin for pres

Comment

hehe. I know they're too big but how cool would it be to have gundams in stargate? lol.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28 View Post
                    Either beam it down to the gateroom, or for that matter just beam it through the gate, or send it through from another site, say a heavy equipment staging area where we have the gate inside some sort of compound on another world. The vehicles could be transported to that planet via 303, beam it up, beam it down and from there they could be sent through a gate to where they're needed.

You're right though. I said the same thing. The conflicts we encounter in stargate don't call for the type of heavy firepower of a MBT. I would even say that far from overkill it would actually be less effective than, say, an APC/IFV with recoilless rifles and/or turreted rocket launcher pods. Or how about a humvee equipped with an Active Denial System. I'm not sure that even the toughest Jaffa would be able to resist it for any length of time from the reports I've seen given on it. Although I suppose that big antenna would be too obvious of a target. So I guess we just stick with the heavy machine guns and rocket pods. And maybe some WP rockets/grenades for good measure. Nothing like being set on fire with an inextinguishable fire burning in some cases down to bone to stop a massed charge in a hurry. Yeah, WP is nasty stuff.
                    I don't think it would've been unnecessary in that fight in Heroes where Jack almost died, a couple of Abrahams or Strykers for that matter could've roudned that up very quick.

Oh and it's always better to have overkill than being outnumbered

Comment

You're going to have to specify what kind of mecha or what kind of powersuit. Generally speaking, Mecha are too big to fit through a stargate ring. Even the smaller Robotech mech units (The Second Generation Hovertanks) wouldn't fit as they are too wide. Generally speaking, mecha are somewhere roughly 40 - 70 feet tall.

Power suits, though, I can see being deployed. Cyclone power armor (Robotech) or even the Starship Troopers power armor is well within the size of the rings.

Comment

I'm still thinking it would be hard to get an Abrams through the event horizon. It is 22 feet to the outer edges of the ring then you have a good foot taken off of that on both sides because of the actual ring. Then it is like what McKay said in Atlantis in the PJ got stuck, "Square-peg, round-hole!" Because the bottom of the ring curves in and isn't flat. The platform they have to use decreases the actual size by more because it raises it up a bit. If the ring wasn't a ring and was an arch then yeah no problem.

It might work but I'm still unsure about the gates dimensions. Where did you find out it was 22ft wide because it doesn't appear large enough to fit an Abrams.

A mech would be too large like I said you would have to come in at under 20 ft to make it through without snagging anything.
                        Last edited by Evil_Genius_McKay; 12 June 2007, 03:17 PM. Reason: Forgot something
                        sigpic

Comment

see now this is where that other gate vehicle thread comes in, Over there I suggested going with a light tank something the size of a renault from WW1 but with trinium armor and a naquidah reactor for power, then give it a modular turret mount so it could sport a variety of weapons, literally everything from paired grenade launchers to twin staff cannons such a thing would not only be deadly to whoemever is facing it down but also be fast and capable of fitting through.

Comment

Originally posted by TKG View Post
                            see now this is where that other gate vehicle thread comes in, Over there I suggested going with a light tank something the size of a renault from WW1 but with trinium armor and a naquidah reactor for power, then give it a modular turret mount so it could sport a variety of weapons, literally everything from paired grenade launchers to twin staff cannons such a thing would not only be deadly to whoemever is facing it down but also be fast and capable of fitting through.
                            This is an interesting idea! I like it. Lots of potential. Yeah it seems like Stargate's focus right now is on developing better space tech and not ground tech.
                            sigpic

Comment

oh appleseed is my all time fave movie! ive seen it 12 times! 6 in english and 6 in jap with eng subs!

and ghost in the shell is awesome. the tachikoma's may fit through,.

Comment

Working...
                              X