This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargates, jumpin' wormholes and premature cut

1. Why were several charge shaped 26 megaton warheads necessary to make a standard stargate's wormhole disconnect and reconnect to the nearby Ori supergate?
    2. Where did the energy from the shaped bomb used in A Matter Of TIme go, and to which stargate did the wormhole reconnect to? Weren't Boyd and his soldiers toasted, since they were clsoe to the stargate?
    3. Why didn't the wormhole reconnect to the alpha stargate when Teal'c got stuck in 48 Hours?
    4. How much energy hit the stargate in Solitudes?
    5. In Chain Reaction, despite the huge amount of energy released by the destruction of the naqahdah-rich planet where a nuke was detonated, the wormhole remained connected. How is that so?

My own quick takes at it, but I'd like to hear your views on it.
    1. The supergate related episodes either implied or directly claimed that it required larger amounts of energy to create and maintain a wormhole between those enormous stargates. It's possible that this is why focused warheads were necessary. The wormhle in Pegasus would somehow provide the necessary energy (maybe the stargate has an integrated system that casts an encompassing field around a wormhole, or over a significant arc of a wormhole, and draws enough energy to maintain a connection). Though this method would maintain the connection, it wouldn't provide enough energy to create a surge and make the jump, so a little boost was needed.
    2. It's hard to know the yield of the bomb. They mention that it's a warhead, and that Carter had the yield modified. They also talk about a shaped charge. I'm a bit stuck on this one, because as in Pegasus Project, it would be the gate on the other end of the wormhole that would receive the energy, and thus "tilt". However, Pegasus Project has shown that the stargate doesn't contain the energy, and actually fired a burst of hot plasma directly at the Ori ship.
      So I would guess that whatever happened to Boyd and his team... was hot.
      Carter, Siler and co couldn't sever the connection, despite several attempts. They needed to make the wormhole jump. Since it worked, I assume there was another gate not far from the connected one.
      That's quite lucky, but it would have not saved Boyd's team.
    3. What happened in 48 Hours is different. The power source, the DHD, was destroyed, so no surge of energy was sent to the stargate. On the contrary, the stargate experienced a lack of energy, and thus the wormhole disconnected. Luckily, all of Teal'c was sent through.
      It evidences that the receiving stargate recomposes matter with the energy flux from the emitting stargate.
      The situation is relatively similar to A Hundred Days, where a meteorite stroke near a stargate, and very likely destroyed the DHD.
    4. Teal'c reports that they were under fire, from distant energy weapons of some kind, possibly from Goa'uld technology. Teal'c is incapable of saying that was firing at them, but the whole situation got bad very quickly.
      Maybe those weapons were firing from orbit, or from the air, or possibly a distance location, from a cliff for example. We're either looking at a ground weapon, either from a vehicle or a mounted defense, or possibly an aircraft or a starship.
      However, there were enemy soldiers on the other side. Jack ordered some cover fire, and Teal'c says they were surrounded.
    5. All evidence considered, this case presented both the necessary elements to make the stargate either behave one way or the other.
      Just like in A Matter of Time, the stargate on the alien planet was the receiving one, yet the explosion didn't make the wormhole jump from the SGC gate to the alpha gate. Maybe we can suggest that the stargate found in Antartica back then was sealed, so no wormhole jump could occur.
      That still leaves the DHD's destruction. However, contrary to 48 Hours, where the DHD's destruction meant a shortage of power, the stargates, superconductors as they are, will absorb any energy.
      In this case, even if the DHD was destroyed, the destruction of the planet released much more energy than necessary to actually maintain the wormhole connected.
      Globally, the stargate, in that case, besides proving to be incredibly tough, also worked properly, automatically disengaging after 38 minutes.
      This would also prove that, in conjunction with 48 Hours, the energy released by a nearby asteroid impact would not be enough to maintain a wormhole, since the wormhole in 48 Hours was severed.

Thoughts?
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

1) i dont know. Lots of power is needed and that does it.

2) I don't know what gate it jumped too but that doesn't matter, it disconnected the gate on the other end and connect us to another. Since in season 10 SPOILER: (sorry don't know how to do that cover thing) the gate jumper to the near by gate, id say maybe abydos. And i don't recall the name Boyd but if they were the team on the planet, they were stuffed long before the jump.

3) Id presume cos Teal'c was already being loaded into the buffer, very small window, but thats how i saw it happening. And why would it be the alpha site?

4) A lot.

5) Good Question. Id say the same principle as in 'A Matter of Time' the gate was drawing power from another source. Just not enough to hold it open.

Thats my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
      1. Why were several charge shaped 26 megaton warheads necessary to make a standard stargate's wormhole disconnect and reconnect to the nearby Ori supergate?
      2. Where did the energy from the shaped bomb used in A Matter Of TIme go, and to which stargate did the wormhole reconnect to? Weren't Boyd and his soldiers toasted, since they were clsoe to the stargate?
      3. Why didn't the wormhole reconnect to the alpha stargate when Teal'c got stuck in 48 Hours?
      4. How much energy hit the stargate in Solitudes?
      5. In Chain Reaction, despite the huge amount of energy released by the destruction of the naqahdah-rich planet where a nuke was detonated, the wormhole remained connected. How is that so?
      1) They needed to establish a connection to the Supergate, which required a tremendous amount of energy due to the diameter of the Supergate.

2) The energy from the shape charge in matter of time went into the Stargate itself and also into the wormhole. I doubt that the energy that passed through the wormhole ended up on the other side with Boyd's team as the wormhole would have jumped midstream and the energy would have gone to the new gate.

Where did it connect specifically? Nobody on this board could possibly know that, it was one of the planets in the path of the connection between the two gates, that's the most we can say.

3) Why would it? The wormhole was established to the SGC and power was cut to the gate not added. The wormhole couldn't jump because it ceased to exist.

4) How could we possibly know this?

5) You can only make a wormhole jump from the outgoing side, it doesn't matter how much energy is released on the incoming side.

Comment

Working...
      X